Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

CNN Looks to Shake Up Schedule After Ratings Hit 20 Year Low.

Posted by on Jun. 1, 2012 at 8:38 AM
  • 35 Replies

CNN Looks to Shake Up Schedule After Ratings Hit 20-Year-Low

Yahoo! TV
  • Play Video

CNN's All-Time Low Network Ratings For May 2:41 | 13749 views

Cold-calling celebrities in the early-morning hours. Breathlessly reporting on flesh-eating "zombie" attacks. Hiring TV chef Anthony Bourdain. There are a lot of changes going on over at CNN these days. And there's a very good reason for all the changes: Last month, ratings for the cable news network sunk to a 20-year-low.

In May, CNN averaged a mere 389,000 viewers in primetime, its lowest total since October 1991 (back when the first George Bush was still in the White House). To be fair, all of the major news networks were down year-to-year from last May, when the death of Osama bin Liden boosted viewership. But CNN's primetime audience declined a whopping 51 percent, finishing a distant third to Fox News and MSNBC. Most humiliatingly, CNN even fell behind its more tabloidy kid-sister station, Headline News, among key demographics.

So the network has had to resort to stunts like "Wake 'Em Up," where the "Early Start" anchors dial up famous names in the early morning to pepper them with questions, and cover juicy stories like the recent pseudo-zombie attack in Florida. While a bit disappointing, these developments are understandable: The most buzz we've heard about CNN lately comes from viral-video moments like Anderson Cooper's giggle fits that don't exactly lead to loyal viewership. And they haven't found a compelling TV personality to fill the void left by Larry King, who ended his nightly talk show in December 2010.

Watch Anderson Cooper's most recent giggle fit right here:

And it may be that CNN's legendary objectivity is part of the problem. The network has always prided itself on covering the news with an even hand, but more partisan networks like Fox News and MSNBC have stolen away viewers by taking sides in the growing culture war and offering strong opinions with a conservative or liberal slant. CNN may win on journalistic integrity, but they're losing on passion.

In any case, something's gotta give at CNN; hence, all the deck-shuffling. They're even creating a new food and travel show starring the curmudgeonly Bourdain to try and boost their lackluster weekend ratings -- which would seem to lead the network even further away from its original hard-news mission. CNN is actually set to celebrate its 30th anniversary tomorrow. Now it just needs to figure out how to adapt so it can stick around for another 30 years.

by on Jun. 1, 2012 at 8:38 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
pvtjokerus
by Platinum Member on Jun. 1, 2012 at 8:39 AM
1 mom liked this

For MSNBC to beat CNN shows what type of people are in the U.S.

jessilin0113
by Platinum Member on Jun. 1, 2012 at 8:50 AM
What do you mean?

Quoting pvtjokerus:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
rocketracer
by Silver Member on Jun. 1, 2012 at 8:58 AM

Hiring chef Anthony Bourdain won't attract me to watch CNN.  A few years ago he was stuck in the Middle East.  While trying to find a way out of the country he and other evacuees were met with chaos and disorganization, until......The US Navy came to his rescue.  Once aboard  the US Naval carrier he couldn't believe how nice the crew was.  He thought they were just "killing machines", not human beings.  He even put down the food the ship prepared for all of the evacuees.   The ship had to prepare a lot of food for all of the evacuees.  The food prepared was comfort food, which was below his standards.  Screw you Anthony Bourdain.  

yourspecialkid
by Platinum Member on Jun. 1, 2012 at 10:02 PM
2 moms liked this

They have to crawl out of Obama's ass before they do anything.  The article cracked me up when it said they pride themselves on covering the news more even hand.  LOL

Jesi_79
by Bronze Member on Jun. 1, 2012 at 10:18 PM

I don't believe it is any coincidence that CNN's ratings have been dropping as fast as their credibility has since they reinvented themselves as the Clinton News Network to help get a virtually unknown Arkansas Governor elected.  And that was in 1991, just over 20 years ago; coincidence?

Thomigirl
by Gold Member on Jun. 2, 2012 at 8:10 AM
1 mom liked this

Who wrote this piece of trash article?  THIS is the problem with journalism today.

candlegal
by Judy on Jun. 2, 2012 at 8:35 AM

exactly, they have been known as the clinton new network for forever.   Kinda hard to change that reputation when it was so well deserved.

Quoting Jesi_79:

I don't believe it is any coincidence that CNN's ratings have been dropping as fast as their credibility has since they reinvented themselves as the Clinton News Network to help get a virtually unknown Arkansas Governor elected.  And that was in 1991, just over 20 years ago; coincidence?

Where CafeMom Smart Moms Go

candlegal
by Judy on Jun. 2, 2012 at 8:36 AM
2 moms liked this

They won't be able to pull  it off.  They are too far up there.

Quoting yourspecialkid:

They have to crawl out of Obama's ass before they do anything.  The article cracked me up when it said they pride themselves on covering the news more even hand.  LOL

Where CafeMom Smart Moms Go

Happymamax2
by Silver Member on Jun. 2, 2012 at 8:56 AM
2 moms liked this
Quoting pvtjokerus:

I was thinking the same about fox news.... Lol.
Citygirlk
by Gold Member on Jun. 2, 2012 at 9:04 AM
I think as cnn being a major 24 hour news network it is as un baised as it can get compared to msnbc and fox news.

Quoting yourspecialkid:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)