Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Exonerated in rape case, man lines up NFL tryouts

Posted by on Jun. 1, 2012 at 9:22 AM
  • 14 Replies
1 mom liked this

The story of his exoneration was posted last week so I thought I'd post an update.  I really hope he's able to fulfill his NFL dreams and his accuser is forced to pay back the money and face charges herself.

Exonerated in rape case, man lines up NFL tryouts

A Southern California man exonerated last week on a decade-old rape conviction was looking ahead Thursday to try to relaunch a dream taken from him because of prison time he served in the case, the chance to play in the National Football League.

Brian Banks was a football standout at Long Beach Polytechnic High School and had been offered a scholarship to play at the University of Southern California when he was accused of rape.

Fearing a potentially long sentence, he followed the advice of his attorney and pleaded no contest to assaulting a classmate.

But he maintained his innocence throughout nearly six years of imprisonment, subsequent probation and registration as a sex offender.

And, according to the California Innocence Project, the woman later admitted that Banks had not kidnapped or raped her during a consensual encounter.

A judge in California tossed out his conviction last week.

It didn't take long for NFL teams to start contacting Banks with tryout invitations, according to news reports, with six in line to work him out.

First among them was the Seattle Seahawks, coached by Pete Carroll, the same man who offered that scholarship to Banks a decade ago, according to a report in the Seattle Times.

"I feel very confident in getting that tryout and producing on the field," Banks said. "I've been working extremely hard for this opportunity."

Banks was a linebacker in high school, and his team won a state championship when he was a junior, according to the Seattle Times report.

A Super Bowl championship is obviously a long way away, but the 6-foot-2, 245-pound Banks told ESPN's Rick Reilly he has been working out since October and is confident he's ready to take the first step in the NFL.

"I'll make 'em happy," ESPN quotes him as saying. "After all I've been through these last 10 years, I can still do some things that will impress you."

http://news.blogs.cnn.com/2012/05/31/exonerated-in-rape-case-man-lines-up-nfl-tryouts/?hpt=hp_bn1

by on Jun. 1, 2012 at 9:22 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
littleangie
by Member on Jun. 1, 2012 at 11:16 AM
6 moms liked this

I agree with you.  I hope this man gets his due of playing in the NFL.  As for the person that accused him, I hope they go after her for not only the money she owes, but also sue her for the years that she took from this man.  I feel so bad for real victims of rape.  It is people like her that takes away from the credibility of real victims. 

krysstizzle
by DeepThought on Jun. 1, 2012 at 11:42 AM
2 moms liked this

A ray of light in that whole horrible damn situaiton. That story made me so angry, just beside myself. Hopefully things will work out for this man, and that crazy biznitch will get hers. Gah, just thinking about it is making me angry all over again! What in the world is wrong with people...

AdrianneHill
by Platinum Member on Jun. 1, 2012 at 11:42 AM
1 mom liked this
I hope he hasn't lost too much time and I'd able to at least get on somewhere. Even if he isn't that great, one of the crappier teams should take him on because it would be a lot of positive press. He obviously has heart and determination and that would be an asset to any team
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
AMBG825
by on Jun. 1, 2012 at 1:10 PM
2 moms liked this

I hope he makes one of the teams. Then I hope he turns around and sues the "woman" for 10 years of lost wages based on what he could have made in the NFL.

MeAndTommyLee
by Gold Member on Jun. 1, 2012 at 1:58 PM

I'm thrilled for him!  This is good news.  Just last week I posted this horrible story.  This man just wants to try and restart his life where it was taken from him from Ms. Gibson after her lies of kidnap and rape.  It is truly amazing that he was released and exonerated of these terrible crimes without sitting there for 20 years -- which is the usual average years innocent men sit behind bars for crimes they did not commit before they are released. 

Ivory_Mom1
by on Jun. 1, 2012 at 3:58 PM
1 mom liked this

Good for him, he deserves it!

JamesMom714
by Bronze Member on Jun. 1, 2012 at 4:00 PM
1 mom liked this
Yay, good news for a change!
Good luck to him (and yes, it will be old press for whatever team picks him up).
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
new_mom808
by Bronze Member on Jun. 1, 2012 at 4:43 PM
1 mom liked this

That B should have to pay restitution.

staciababy
by on Jun. 1, 2012 at 4:59 PM

I heard about that. I hope this guy gets every opportunity to have a fantastic life from now on.

storkradio193
by Member on Jun. 1, 2012 at 5:07 PM

I imagine it will be tough to make an NFL team after so long, but I hope he does well.  He should receive some kind of restitution.  Does anyone know what, if anything, is set to happen to the girl?

http://www.cafemom.com/home/storkradio193

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured