Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

"Let's hurl some acid at those female democratic senators:" - Update last page

Posted by on Jun. 1, 2012 at 5:13 PM
  • 75 Replies

This week, a spokesman for Representative Nan Hayworth (R-NY) flippantly advocated for violence against women senators and he needs to be fired right away. Can you join the growing call demanding that he be held accountable?

Here's what happened: Rep. Hayworth's campaign participated in a Facebook discussion with her constituents.

Rep. Hayworth's spokesman, Jay Townsend, responded to criticism from a constituent by writing, "When is Tommy boy going to weigh in on all the Lilly Ledbetter hypocrites who claim to be fighting the War on Women? Let's hurl some acid at those female democratic Senators who won’t abide the mandates they want to impose on the private sector."1

Advocating violence against women in any setting and under any circumstance is unacceptable but it is especially disturbing that a member of the United States Congress would condone this kind of hate speech. The call for Rep. Hayworth to fire Jay Townsend is growing from inside her district and in the media. And if we act now, we can help ensure she does the right thing and sends a strong message that hate speech aimed at women is NEVER OK. Can you sign the petition demanding that Jay Townsend be fired?

Click here to sign the petition

The Facebook page where the discussion took place is called "NY19 U.S. House of Representatives Discussion Center," and is a place for constituents to discuss issues and concerns they have about the district. The page offers this description of its purpose:2

"Our mission is to foster civil multi-partisan discussion about issues impacting citizens of New York's U.S. House District represented by Republican Congresswoman Nan Hayworth… We do not welcome personal attacks, spamming the page with posts, or other types of troll-like behavior."

Yet it was Rep. Hayworth's own paid spokesman who used that platform to attack and advocate violence against democratic women Senators.

That kind of conduct should not be tolerated by anyone, much less a Congresswoman.

If we want to live in a society where hate speech and violence aimed at women is unacceptable, we must speak out when powerful people cross the line and make sure that they are held accountable.

The call for Jay Townsend to be fired is growing and it is clearly the right thing for Rep. Hayworth to do. Can you add your name to the petition and help make sure he is held accountable?

Click here to sign the petition

Thanks for speaking out!

--Nita and Shaunna, UltraViolet

by on Jun. 1, 2012 at 5:13 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Radarma
by "OneDar" on Jun. 1, 2012 at 5:17 PM

WTH?

Freakazoid.

muslimahpj
by Ruby Member on Jun. 1, 2012 at 5:18 PM

My jaw hit the floor when I read that.

Quoting Radarma:

WTH?

Freakazoid.

muslimahpj
by Ruby Member on Jun. 1, 2012 at 6:05 PM

BUMP!

storkradio193
by Member on Jun. 1, 2012 at 6:06 PM
1 mom liked this

He should be fired.  If he had said this toward a racial or religious group, it (him fired) probably would have already happened.

http://www.cafemom.com/home/storkradio193

OHgirlinCA
by Platinum Member on Jun. 1, 2012 at 6:07 PM

Wow...

ripemango
by on Jun. 1, 2012 at 6:08 PM

to refer to such a horrific act in jest is truly dishonorable

I don't know where the sunbeams end and the starlights begin; it's all a mystery.

muslimahpj
by Ruby Member on Jun. 1, 2012 at 6:10 PM

Can you really call something like this a jest?

Quoting ripemango:

MeTaL_MoMmA_08
by on Jun. 1, 2012 at 6:11 PM

how do we have all these jackasses in elected offices??? *slaps forehead*

muslimahpj
by Ruby Member on Jun. 1, 2012 at 6:15 PM
2 moms liked this

Because jackasses elected them??

Quoting MeTaL_MoMmA_08:

how do we have all these jackasses in elected offices??? *slaps forehead*

ripemango
by on Jun. 1, 2012 at 6:18 PM

to jest as in to jeer, make a rude or mocking remark, to deride or ridicule. I think I am using the term correctly. I certainly did not mean any offense by it.

Quoting muslimahpj:

Can you really call something like this a jest?

Quoting ripemango:

I don't know where the sunbeams end and the starlights begin; it's all a mystery.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)