Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

"Sit your nappy-headed self down."

Posted by   + Show Post

Quote:

Student Kicked Out After Mother Complains About Slur

Brea Persley, 13, says her science teacher told her in front of the whole class to "sit your nappy-headed self down." 

Brea Persley

Brea Persley (KTLA-TV / June 1, 2012)

KTLA News
INGLEWOOD, Calif. (KTLA) -- A student at Inglewood's Century Academy of Excellence was kicked out after her mother complained about an alleged racial slur by a teacher.

Brea Persley, 13, says her science teacher told her in front of the whole class last week to "sit your nappy-headed self down."

"When the kids started laughing, it brought back the memories of when I was in 4th grade and kids used to laugh at me and tease me," Persley told KTLA.

Teacher Kelly Dempsey called the family and apologized about
the comment.

But when Brea's mother Shronda Williams requested a meeting with school principal Giselle Edman, there was no apology.

Williams said the principal told her she was "happy" the teacher made the comment and that "bad things need to happen to mean kids."

Edman then expelled the 13-year-old from the school, Williams said.

In a letter to Williams, the school said her daughter was banned "due to the fact that you scolded the principal."

Brea's family said she did get into a fight on campus and has been cited for tardiness and gum chewing.

Edman declined a request for comment.

Brea's family says it's filing a complaint with the school's accreditation agency.

In the meantime, the family is trying to figure out how to get Brea the final three weeks of school she needs before summer break.

"A bird doesn't sing because it has an answer, it sings because it has a song." ~ Maya Angelou

by on Jun. 2, 2012 at 7:21 PM
Replies (21-30):
FromAtoZ
by AllieCat on Jun. 2, 2012 at 9:00 PM

Quoting shannonnigans:

I agree but it seems from the article that they're quoting the actual letter from the school.  Wow.

Quoting FromAtoZ:

Quoting shannonnigans:

The kid could be a total head case, but the teacher has to maintain control - that's why you're called the teacher - and can't just start with the racial slurs.  Similarly, principal is going to have a major problem for expelling someone "due to the fact that you scolded the principal."  And, they may be a charter school, but I believe they're still part of L.A. Unified.  They certainly have a Charter School Division listed on L.A. Unified's website, and its the same exact building as L.A. Unified.  In other words, no free pass, and L.A. Unified may have a problem on their hands

I would really like to know what is not being told in this story.  The school's side as far as the child being expelled goes.  

There better be more to this story or I can see a huge lawsuit brewing if that child was expelled simply because the mother scolded the Principal.  

Yes, it seems so.

But I still have to wonder if there is more, either in that letter or the actual circumstances.

If not, that Principal needs to re-think her career goals.

I get that kids can be complete little shit heads and some are down right awful.  But teachers are taught to watch what they say, for reasons just like this........being sued.  It just seems like common sense. *shrug*  You can think it but don't say it. lol

"A bird doesn't sing because it has an answer, it sings because it has a song." ~ Maya Angelou

AdrianneHill
by Platinum Member on Jun. 2, 2012 at 10:29 PM
I'm wondering what an amazing brat that kid must have been. I know that the teacher was wrong and she really should have known better. Doesn't really matter how wrong the little girl was and if she was trying to slice another kid's throat. You lose the high ground when you say stuff like that.

But the fact she had pushed a teacher that far and then she made a principal go straight to expulsion even after receiving a racial insult from a teacher is quite telling even if they aren't telling. I'm sure neither the teacher, nor the principal, were raw recruits who had not built up an immunity to the mouth of vicious kids who were unafraid of adults. Wow, I bet the principal was secretly delighted when the mother came to complain in person. She got a chance to tell the mother not only that the teacher wasn't in trouble but that her sweet daughter was going to have to find a different school to terrorize.
I'm pretty curious now because it must have been an impressive "scolding" of the principal.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Sisteract
by Whoopie on Jun. 2, 2012 at 10:56 PM

Taking a page from Don Imus, not very original

Thomigirl
by Gold Member on Jun. 2, 2012 at 11:06 PM

Something aint clean in the milk? I'm having a hard time swallowing this girl's story.  Maybe it's just me.  The STUDENT got kicked out for 'scolding' the principal.  Wha, wha, what?  If the teacher admitted to saying what she did and the principal (how irresponsible) also said what she did, there should be consequences.  But this whole story has me scratching my head...

stacymomof2
by Ruby Member on Jun. 3, 2012 at 12:51 AM

It seems like there is something missing here, regardless, the teacher cannot insult and bully kids!  Unbelieveable.  

PestPatti
by on Jun. 3, 2012 at 1:05 AM

Both the slur and the grammar are unacceptable from a teacher.  It is scary what passes as a teacher. 

Tanya93
by on Jun. 3, 2012 at 1:09 AM

In Texas, you are required to report suspected abuse.   Period.

Quoting GOBryan:

We have a similar issue where the Principal refused to apologize. All we've asked is for a letter of apology but he refuses just stating that they followed procedure. In my case, the teacher called CPS over a small mark on my daughter's foot which was cleared by CPS. She never had any signs of abuse in the past nor has she ever tried to speak with us about anything. The thing is that once there's a CPS complaint, that stays on your record even if it's cleared. A few months later, she did the same thing to my nephew who was in the same class. Needless to say there have been many issues throughout the year with that class which we have tried to correct and we feel it was mostly due to retribution. 

We're planning on a class action. Right now there's four sets of parents that want to be involved. 

Elle.tea.22
by on Jun. 3, 2012 at 1:46 AM
I've been told to get my little blonde head out of the clouds. No complaints. I was embarrassed but I wasn't really doing what I should have at the time (I was dilly dallying and not dong my work that week).
charleyd68
by Platinum Member on Jun. 3, 2012 at 3:11 AM
She didn 't mess with the right one. If the child mis behaved there was a right way and a wrong way to handle it. They chose the latter, man they are lucky i 'm not the mother. Pathetic!

The only way Evil can triumph is for good women to do nothing!

*REAL TALK*

GOBryan
by Silver Member on Jun. 3, 2012 at 7:36 AM

There needs to be some kind of logic behind it. If you saw what she reported. It was simply rediculous. Further, my kids have been in the school system since 3 and have had other teachers. No problems. A little common sense goes a long way or she's just going to make enemies with the parents, which is what's occuring. Discretion is key, common sense and logic. Not jumping to conclusions. 

Quoting Tanya93:

In Texas, you are required to report suspected abuse.   Period.

Quoting GOBryan:

We have a similar issue where the Principal refused to apologize. All we've asked is for a letter of apology but he refuses just stating that they followed procedure. In my case, the teacher called CPS over a small mark on my daughter's foot which was cleared by CPS. She never had any signs of abuse in the past nor has she ever tried to speak with us about anything. The thing is that once there's a CPS complaint, that stays on your record even if it's cleared. A few months later, she did the same thing to my nephew who was in the same class. Needless to say there have been many issues throughout the year with that class which we have tried to correct and we feel it was mostly due to retribution. 

We're planning on a class action. Right now there's four sets of parents that want to be involved. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)