Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

What Parents Really Want to Tell Teachers

Posted by on Jun. 3, 2012 at 12:54 PM
  • 143 Replies
3 moms liked this

Please refrain from using obscene language while my child is in your classroom.  YOU are setting a bad example.

Please do not assume that you know everything about my child because you are a teacher.

Please do not demean, bully or attempt to intimidate my child. 

Please allow my child to use the bathroom when needed.  It is a human function that should not be ignored because it inconveniences you, 

Please do not interfere with our family hours after, and away from school. 

Please NEVER undermine my authority as the parent, or abuse your power of authority

Please do not question my decision to keep my child home from school when they are ill.  Fevers and rashes are often symptoms of a more serious aliment and may be contagious. 

by on Jun. 3, 2012 at 12:54 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Peanutx3
by on Jun. 3, 2012 at 12:58 PM
5 moms liked this

All I can say is thank god my kids have great teachers.

shannonnigans
by Gold Member on Jun. 3, 2012 at 1:05 PM
1 mom liked this
Agree with all of the above. Did something happen to your child in school that prompted this post ?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
anxiousschk
by anxiouss on Jun. 3, 2012 at 1:11 PM
2 moms liked this

May I ask what you  mean by "please do not interfere with our family" ?  Do you mean after hours calls? 

Also, a bathroom point.  I agree with this in the Elementary grades, but as students get older, there is ample time (where I work) to go to the bathroom.  

Nothing irks me more than a student who spends the 6 minutes between classes talking right by my door then waits until 10 min. into class to say "I gotta go to the bathroom."  

Use your time wisely.  

I agree that teachers should never use foul language around students or intimidate/demean them.   I also *want* sick kids to stay at home.  I don't want your illness. 

However, I do understand the questioning as I've seen students at the mall, at the park, or upon their return, bragging about a day at the beach when the note says "Please excuse Tommy, he was sick."  

Also, along the lines of "please don't assume..."  I believe that goes both ways.  No one knows *everything* about their children.  A teacher cannot know *everything* about students.  

SuperChicken
by on Jun. 3, 2012 at 1:18 PM
3 moms liked this

We have had wonderful teachers so far.  My son is only 9, so I guess you never know. 

My request is simple.   Please treat my son and us with the same professionalism, respect and courtesy you expect us to treat you with and that you would want other teachers to treat your own child with.

anxiousschk
by anxiouss on Jun. 3, 2012 at 1:20 PM

I think this is the perfect "golden rule" for educators.  

Quoting SuperChicken:

We have had wonderful teachers so far.  My son is only 9, so I guess you never know. 

My request is simple.   Please treat my son and us with the same professionalism, respect and courtesy you expect us to treat you with and that you would want other teachers to treat your own child with.

ChancesMommy07
by Silver Member on Jun. 3, 2012 at 1:32 PM
What do you mean by interfere with family hours?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
duchessofdirt
by on Jun. 3, 2012 at 1:32 PM
1 mom liked this

My main issue was when I drop my child off at school there was no contact with her teacher and me. She acted like I wasn't even there. She'd say good morning to my daughter but not to me. Then if I had a question to ask her she'd answer then when I went to say something else she'd just walk away not even wait until the issue or whatever was finished. I have to say she is a lot better now but the school year is over in a few weeks! Oh well, we are still on the fence about homeschooling her next year. We'll see who she gets first.

FromAtoZ
by AllieCat on Jun. 3, 2012 at 1:35 PM

Other than the teacher who wishes she taught else where, who has obvious issues of her own, we've never had any real issues with any teachers.

Well, other than handing out candy to my child when I thought I had made it perfectly clear that my child is not to receive any candy. lol

But seriously, I've always had a good relationship with all of the teachers of my girls.

Now, a school as a whole, different story.  When my oldest was in a Sophomore, the school she attended was not conducive to any one's education. When a child is permitted to walk the halls of the school smoking a cigarette and/or a joint, there is a huge issue going on there.

I will say, however, that I have had quite a few teachers 'assume' they where aware of the circumstances that surrounded my sepearation from my ex husband.  Very few bothered to come to me and actually ask about the situation but rather they assumed the situation was the opposite of what it was.  My daughter was not impacted by this and that is what was of utmost importance to me.  Had any one ever said any thing to her, there would have been hell to pay.

FromAtoZ
by AllieCat on Jun. 3, 2012 at 1:39 PM
1 mom liked this

Quoting ChancesMommy07:

What do you mean by interfere with family hours?

I am wondering about this as well.

My daughter came home Friday with a test that must be done over the weekend.  It is online.

The teacher told the class she would not accept any excuses from the students or their parents.

My daughter asked how that would work if some one wasn't home for the weekend, if they had made prior plans to go some where.  

While I can't answer for any one else, I told her that her school work is more important and seeing how every one can access the internet at any time, there would be no excuse suitable for her to not complete her test.  

School does not always end when the bell rings.  In my opinion any way.

"A bird doesn't sing because it has an answer, it sings because it has a song." ~ Maya Angelou

MeAndTommyLee
by Gold Member on Jun. 3, 2012 at 1:39 PM

Since my children span in age from 5 to 22, I have seen and heard it all. For instance, one of my boys several years ago left a notebook journal at the funeral home on the day of my father-in-laws wake.  It was being `checked' the next day and he explained he left it by accident and was told by this teacher that that was no excuse and he was just some `social butterfly' that took no responsibility.  He was nine at the time.  

That's just one example. 

Quoting shannonnigans:

Agree with all of the above. Did something happen to your child in school that prompted this post ?

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured