Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Why are black people generally more poor than whites? Racism. Really? Racism is the only reason?

Posted by on Jun. 4, 2012 at 10:19 AM
  • 894 Replies

This is a spin off from the post about out of wedlock birthrates.

So is the premise in the title true, that racism is the sole reason for higher poverty rates in the black community than the white community?

In my opinion racism is a large issue but not the sole issue. 

You can't find a solution for something until you admit it's a problem.
by on Jun. 4, 2012 at 10:19 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
futureshock
by Ruby Member on Jun. 4, 2012 at 10:19 AM

You can't find a solution for something until you admit it's a problem.
hellokittyy
by Member on Jun. 4, 2012 at 10:20 AM
Ahhh

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Paperfishies
by Silver Member on Jun. 4, 2012 at 10:21 AM
6 moms liked this
White devil be keeping them down!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Mommy2BeAmy
by Silver Member on Jun. 4, 2012 at 10:22 AM
17 moms liked this
No not at all. This is America where there is opportunity. People come here from other countries and start from nothing and become millionaires. Whoever is in poverty chooses to stay in that lifestyle instead of finding ways to get out, it's ridiculous to say "racism". Like racists have ability over the financials of the black community but some how one squeaked by and became president. Yeah...ok
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
wenchmommy381
by Wenchy on Jun. 4, 2012 at 10:26 AM
6 moms liked this

I think the idea of racism leads to other factors that are more concrete as far as a lack of opportunity is concerned: education, violence, drugs, and a defeatist attitude.

krysstizzle
by DeepThought on Jun. 4, 2012 at 10:29 AM
15 moms liked this

Is it nice living with rose colored glasses attached to your face? 

When a group of people has to do twice or three times the amount of work than another group, is it any wonder that not many climb out?

Quoting Mommy2BeAmy:

No not at all. This is America where there is opportunity. People come here from other countries and start from nothing and become millionaires. Whoever is in poverty chooses to stay in that lifestyle instead of finding ways to get out, it's ridiculous to say "racism". Like racists have ability over the financials of the black community but some how one squeaked by and became president. Yeah...ok

katy_kay08
by on Jun. 4, 2012 at 10:30 AM
22 moms liked this

maybe you can find another white supremacist blog to explain why you believe it to not be the case.  

I would say that yes, racism has played a major role in the SES of blacks as a group.  

People appear to have an opinion that the civil rights movement simply wiped the slate clean and set everyone on an even footing.   Institutional Racism has had hundreds of years to solidify a foothold in this country and it is going to take more time than a handful of decades to change the consequences of those policies that established blacks as a subservient class of Americans.  

SunshneDaydream
by Silver Member on Jun. 4, 2012 at 10:36 AM
19 moms liked this

Because poverty is a cycle that is very hard to break.  When blacks were freed after the civil war, they had nothing, and racism was the reason they couldn't get good jobs or educations for decades.  That racism and discrimination has only tapered off in recent decades and it's very difficult for the majority of poor people (regardless of race) to pull themselves up by their bootstraps.  Alot of black people today have grandparents who were poor because of discrimination in the pre-civil rights movement days.  They didn't have the resources to send their children to college, so they didn't have the opportunities for success either, and the cycle continues.  Along those same lines, I think alot of it has to do with what you grow up with being the norm, being comfortable with what you have and not feeling the need to strive for anything better.  Does that make sense?  It's very hard to put it into words without sounding insulting, so I'm SO SORRY if anything was offensive!  Just generalizing!

Mommy2BeAmy
by Silver Member on Jun. 4, 2012 at 10:47 AM
11 moms liked this
Oh please what a bullshit.

My Dh came to this country from middle east you know the racial slurs out there of being Muslim and so on. My Dh didn even have a family Here he had no one and now at 24 he has accomplished more then what most people accomplish at the age of 50. There were times my Dh even slept in his car so he didn't have the extra expenses so he could save as much as possible get out of being poor and open business of his own. He was at rock bottom with no home and guess what by the grace of God he owns many businesses and is flourishing. So don't give me this bullshit they are are more poor then whites because of racism, they have opportunities if statistics shows they are in more poverty then whites then maybe they should do a study on how many of them are trying to dig themselves out of that hole instead of meddling in it.

Quoting krysstizzle:

Is it nice living with rose colored glasses attached to your face? 

When a group of people has to do twice or three times the amount of work than another group, is it any wonder that not many climb out?

Quoting Mommy2BeAmy:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mommajen32
by Platinum Member on Jun. 4, 2012 at 10:49 AM
16 moms liked this

Why do you care, we're talking about 12 - 13% of population, within that small population within America there are black upper and middle class as well. So what are we talking about, maybe 8 - 9% of the population in America are both black & poor?? 

Why not worry about the rest of America? Why are people living in shacks in Appalachia? Why are the states that have the least amount of minorities doing the worst when looking at the educational systems and poverty? There are dumb, poor white people out there to concern yourself with. 

Entertaining your question, it takes longer than 50 years to change the habits of society rooted in segregation.  

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)