Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

8 years old and up, celebrate your birthday with a BANG! Non gun lovers, hold on, you are so not going to like this.

Posted by on Jun. 4, 2012 at 8:58 PM
  • 16 Replies
1 mom liked this

Quote:

A new gun range opening this summer in Lewisville, Texas, will have two rooms available for hosting children's birthday parties. Owner David Prince tells WFAA that the Eagle Gun Range will be available for children as young as eight years old.

"The age limit is eight years old. You have to be tall enough to get above the shooting table," Prince said. "They're not gonna be left unattended. Parents are gonna be one-on-one, or if there's not enough parents we'll have range safety officers here to show them how to do it safely."

While it may seem unusual to celebrate pairing young children with guns, it's not an entirely unique practice. Last November, an Arizona gun club hosted a day of Christmas photos, where children could post with a man dressed as Santa Clausand semiautomatic weapons. That event reportedly drew hundreds of attendees.

The soon-to-open Texas gun range has reportedly been well received by locals, though some nearby residents say they are opposed to letting such young children handle live firearms.

"It makes me very nervous," said Dawn McMullan, who has two sons and has also worked on past gun control efforts. "I think eight year olds, developmentally, can't tell the difference between play and reality sometimes."

"And also to put it in a party or game atmosphere just seems to not respect a gun as much as we should respect guns," she said.

However, Prince said education is exactly what he has in mind by offering the range's services to budding marksmen.

"We truly believe it's a right and a privilege to shoot and to bear arms," Prince told WFAA. "But you have a responsibility to know how to do it well. It's your responsibility to know how to take care of your gun and know how to use it."

Link is HERE.

So, would you hold your child's b-day party here?

I know I would.

"A bird doesn't sing because it has an answer, it sings because it has a song." ~ Maya Angelou

by on Jun. 4, 2012 at 8:58 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Momof2Stepof3
by Bronze Member on Jun. 4, 2012 at 8:59 PM

I'd host a party there for my DD and DS HELL YEAH!!!!!

stormcris
by Christy on Jun. 4, 2012 at 9:14 PM
2 moms liked this

I think it is a wonderful idea since they are premoting safe handling and learning how to properly use a firearm.

Euphoric
by Thumper kid spanks on Jun. 4, 2012 at 9:18 PM

I'd have to wear ear plugs, my ears are very sensitive.

www.cafemom.com/group/116692
ripemango
by on Jun. 4, 2012 at 9:23 PM

LoL At least they have standards.

Quoting FromAtoZ: You have to be tall enough to get above the shooting table,"

I don't know where the sunbeams end and the starlights begin; it's all a mystery.

Mommy_of_Riley
by Jes on Jun. 4, 2012 at 9:30 PM
I think it's good to promote safety and correct handling at a young age in an area that has a lot of hunters and gun owners. :-)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
TruthSeeker.
by Milami on Jun. 4, 2012 at 9:38 PM

As long as there is an adult with each child the entire time I see no problem with it, in general.

Would I take my child there during a child's bday party? Hell no!! I am a grown adult trained by the military on how to shoot weapons and while at a gun range with my husband I accidental shot the site off of my husbands A-K that was lying on the table next to me. Somehow I didn't have my weapon aimed high enough. My point is, accidents happen all the time, even more-so when you have a bunch of children shooting at the same time. One careless adult with a child and someone could get hurt.

We teach our children gun safety from the time they are old enough to know what a gun is. When they are old enough and ready(at 7 and 5 I do not believe they fully understand that guns kill) we will take them to private property to shoot where they will remain until they are capable of handling a weapon on their own.

EireLass
by Ruby Member on Jun. 5, 2012 at 9:05 AM

I wouldn't only because it wasn't his interest. I took him to the range once, he was so excited. But after that, just didn't float his boat anymore.

Woodbabe
by Woodie on Jun. 5, 2012 at 9:08 AM

As long as its one on one, I think its an excellent way to promote safe usage. I seriously doubt the clown and cake are located on the range next to active shooters, so I don't see how anyone would have any safety concerns. This is definitely a party mom or dad would be staying for!

TCgirlatheart
by TC on Jun. 5, 2012 at 9:09 AM
Yes. I am not a gun lover by any means, but I do understand most owners are safe and responsible. However, birthday party screams "chaos" to me.
We would not have one, and most likely not attend a birthday party at a gun range.

Quoting TruthSeeker.:

As long as there is an adult with each child the entire time I see no problem with it, in general.

Would I take my child there during a child's bday party? Hell no!! I am a grown adult trained by the military on how to shoot weapons and while at a gun range with my husband I accidental shot the site off of my husbands A-K that was lying on the table next to me. Somehow I didn't have my weapon aimed high enough. My point is, accidents happen all the time, even more-so when you have a bunch of children shooting at the same time. One careless adult with a child and someone could get hurt.

We teach our children gun safety from the time they are old enough to know what a gun is. When they are old enough and ready(at 7 and 5 I do not believe they fully understand that guns kill) we will take them to private property to shoot where they will remain until they are capable of handling a weapon on their own.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Veni.Vidi.Vici.
by on Jun. 5, 2012 at 1:22 PM
1 mom liked this

I like the idea. Gun safety is important for all kids IMO.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured