Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Do people choose poverty?

Posted by on Jun. 7, 2012 at 9:58 PM
  • 197 Replies
2 moms liked this

This article was written BEFORE the recession, so unintentional unemployment (i.e. people who are looking but cannot find a job) is not a major factor here.

Do people choose poverty?

22 June 2008.

No one chooses to live at or below the poverty level right?  Well, I didn’t think so, but the Census data may prove otherwise.

As of 2000, there are 106 million households in the US.  I am first going to break the country into quintiles from lowest income to highest income (which means that the bottom 20% or 21 million households earn the least, and so on).

Here are some stats (remember each quintile has 21 million people in it):

Number of people in the lowest quintile who work (part time or full time): 8 million

Number of people in the highest quintile who work (part time or full time): 19.5 million

Number of people in the lowest quintile who held full time jobs year-round: 5 million

Number of people in the highest quintile who held full time jobs year-round: 17.5 million

Number of people in the lowest quintile who did not work at all: 13.5 million

Number of people in the highest quintile who did not work at all: 2 million

Percent of people in the lowest quintile who have a job: 37%

Percent of people in the highest quintile who have a job: 91%

This says that for every 1 rich person who doesn’t work, there are 7 poor people not working.  Also, for every poor person working full time, there are more than 3 rich people working full time.

What all this data really says is that the people who make money are employed.

So are the people living at or below poverty doing so by choice?  I don’t know.  But they are choosing to be unemployed.

http://thefreedomfactory.us/2008/06/22/do-people-choose-poverty/

by on Jun. 7, 2012 at 9:58 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Tanya93
by on Jun. 7, 2012 at 10:08 PM
5 moms liked this
I am going to pop some popcorn, add cayenne and parmesan cheese, get a glass of wine and watch the fireworks.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
katy_kay08
by on Jun. 7, 2012 at 10:09 PM
2 moms liked this

It's too bad your highly biased source doesn't actually provide links to the data they use.  

trulyblessed618
by Bronze Member on Jun. 7, 2012 at 10:12 PM
2 moms liked this
Can't speak for everyone but I have been busting my but most of my life and just can't seem to get very far.... So for me it's not a choice.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
krysstizzle
by DeepThought on Jun. 7, 2012 at 10:13 PM
5 moms liked this

This sentence says it all "What all this data says is taht the people who make money are employed."

And that's it. Why in the world is it assumed that those in poverty choose to be? This is quite a damn stretch, to say the very least.

CrazyLife1996
by on Jun. 7, 2012 at 10:14 PM

Quoting Tanya93:

I am going to pop some popcorn, add cayenne and parmesan cheese, get a glass of wine and watch the fireworks.

punchingCan I have some too?

stormcris
by Christy on Jun. 7, 2012 at 10:15 PM
3 moms liked this

Some people choose to live a life as a poor homeless person or a beach bum. Yes there are people who choose to be poor. There are others who cannot rise above their current station in life.

Tanya93
by on Jun. 7, 2012 at 10:16 PM
Yes.

I added some thyme and English butter as well.

Quoting CrazyLife1996:

Quoting Tanya93:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
CrazyLife1996
by on Jun. 7, 2012 at 10:23 PM
Yummy!!!!

Quoting Tanya93:

Yes.

I added some thyme and English butter as well.

Quoting CrazyLife1996:

Quoting Tanya93:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
annabl1970
by Platinum Member on Jun. 7, 2012 at 10:42 PM

popcorn

TruthSeeker.
by Milami on Jun. 7, 2012 at 10:48 PM
3 moms liked this

Quoting stormcris:

Some people choose to live a life as a poor homeless person or a beach bum. Yes there are people who choose to be poor. There are others who cannot rise above their current station in life.

I agree with this.  Generational poverty is very real and something that is very hard to break.

So, Op did they "choose" poverty?  I don't think most people choose poverty or to live at poverty level. I guess it would be fair to say that many probably make the choice to stay there. It's just not a black or white situation.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)