Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

S/O What is American culture?

Posted by   + Show Post

?

by on Jun. 8, 2012 at 12:06 PM
Replies (31-40):
Traci_Momof2
by Silver Member on Jun. 8, 2012 at 12:52 PM
1 mom liked this

So to get a view from the outside, I just asked this question to a co-worker of mine who is from the Dominican Republic.

His first response was that there is no "American Culture" per se.  His reasoning being much like mine in that we are such a melting pot of other cultures that there really is no American Culture.  He went on though to point out a couple key things that he sees that we do different.  He said we are very seasonal.  Think "spring cleaning", "summer vacation", "holiday shopping".  He said things revolve around the different seasons so much.  Also, as a nation, we are very driven to succeed.  We are not complacent to just be the status quo.  We want better.  He said that's the biggest thing he notices about the US, our drive for success.

Traci_Momof2
by Silver Member on Jun. 8, 2012 at 12:57 PM
1 mom liked this

I enjoy apple pie as long as it's warm and has a scoop of vanilla ice cream on top.  Even better if the pie is drizzled with caramel.

I can't stand country music.  Although DH and I are having a friendly argument.  I enjoy Jewel.  He says she's country.  I say she's not.

Quoting OHgirlinCA:

I laugh when I hear as American as apple pie and country music.  I can't stand either :P

Quoting Peanutx3:

Here is my take on American Culture.  It is a mix of every culture out there.  We are a country of immigrants who all brought a bit of their culture with them.  American culture is not just apple pie and country music.  It is a culture all its own because it is a mix of a lot of different cultures.  I am not sure if I am explaining it exactly the way it sounds in my head.

Lunarprancer
by Silver Member on Jun. 8, 2012 at 1:00 PM
Rock and Roll!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
OHgirlinCA
by Platinum Member on Jun. 8, 2012 at 1:05 PM
1 mom liked this

Wow... I've never been called a commie before... :P

Quoting JonJon:

For the longest time, foreigners would say the first American food they wanted was a hot dog.  The thing is, hot dogs (wurst) were invented in  Germany! 

"As American as apple pie" is as American as you can get so any American who says she cain't stand apple pie is a commie, dadgummit!

Baseball is a take on the Brit sport.  I believe the only true American sport is basketball but the inventor, James Naismith was Canandian!  Hey, the Canadians qualify as North Americans...

Quoting OHgirlinCA:

I laugh when I hear as American as apple pie and country music.  I can't stand either :P

Quoting Peanutx3:

Here is my take on American Culture.  It is a mix of every culture out there.  We are a country of immigrants who all brought a bit of their culture with them.  American culture is not just apple pie and country music.  It is a culture all its own because it is a mix of a lot of different cultures.  I am not sure if I am explaining it exactly the way it sounds in my head.

Lizardannie1966
by on Jun. 8, 2012 at 1:47 PM

Eclectic mix that often bumps heads but for the most part works.

A little bit of this and a little bit of that and when respected by all, works beautifully.

iluv2meow
by on Jun. 8, 2012 at 1:58 PM

You are correct, there are many countries that practice the same traditions or religions or other things similar to eachother but yet different and yet they claim a culture of their own.

America has a culture it is extremely unique because it is a blend/combination of many things from around the world.

I think it is sad that people are so hung up on making america into something other than accepting it is a country and nation of it's own. Many of us are not even true blooded anymore and mixed.

Quoting Peanutx3:

Donna6503
by Platinum Member on Jun. 8, 2012 at 2:03 PM
I don't care what color you're; what accent you happen to speak, how rich you are, a lot of things. But, when you (the general American you) goes overseas; they know you're an American, and the only reason they know "how" is by the American culture ...

So if foreigners know what an American culture happens to be; them why can't we know what it is?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Euphoric
by Bazinga! on Jun. 8, 2012 at 2:04 PM
3 moms liked this

Good food, good times, good fireworks, and Cafemom ;)

rfurlongg
by on Jun. 8, 2012 at 2:04 PM
Blues, rock n roll, tap dance, jazz. Hot dogs, hamburgers.... Baseball...
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Euphoric
by Bazinga! on Jun. 8, 2012 at 2:09 PM

Oh and of course Football!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)