Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Business Owners and Businesses (illegal immigrants)

Posted by on Jun. 8, 2012 at 5:01 PM
  • 207 Replies

I would like to see the statistics of Illegal Immigrants granted legal rights as illegal immigrants to open, own, and operate businesses in the United States of America and why I cannot find anything regards to Business ownership and entrepreneurs in my business book about Illegal Immigrant Entrepreneurship and Opportunities.

Could someone please point out how illegal immigrants become part of the American Entrepreneur and own and operate businesses in our own country?

EDITED AND ADDED
This post is about illegals that enter the country illegally and open and operate and run a business in the USA. This is NOT about people that came on a VISA were or once legally here with permission running a business.

How does one enter illegally, live here illegally, and open and operate/run a legit/legal business in the USA?

by on Jun. 8, 2012 at 5:01 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
krysstizzle
by on Jun. 8, 2012 at 5:05 PM

How many people are facing this dilemma? It's tough to tell. There's no official data on the number of illegal-alien entrepreneurs, but the general population of unauthorized migrants continues to swell. As many as 12 million illegal immigrants live in the U.S., up from an estimated 8.4 million in 2000, according to the Pew Hispanic Center, a nonpartisan research group in Washington. Without papers, many illegal aliens can't easily enter the work force. Those with limited English-language skills find it even more difficult to get a job. Many do the next natural thing, starting their own businesses.

A study last year by the Ewing Marion Kauffman Foundation, a Kansas City, Mo., nonprofit that supports entrepreneurship, found that immigrants in general start businesses at a higher rate than native-born Americans. About 350 out of 100,000 immigrants started a business per month in 2005, compared with about 280 out of 100,000 native-born Americans, the Kauffman study found. The study didn't distinguish between legal and illegal immigrants.

One theory as to why immigrants start more businesses is that they have traveled "from far away and, in some cases, at large expense to come here," says Rob Fairlie, an economist at University of California-Santa Cruz, who conducted the research for Kauffman. "They are self-selected at being more risk-taking and entrepreneurial."

A lot of these business owners do indeed file their taxes, usually by obtaining a nine-digit Individual Taxpayer Identification Number issued by the Internal Revenue Service, according to a number of immigration attorneys. Many, in fact, came to the country legally, through a student visa or an employer-sponsored H-1B work visa.

"A very large number of entrepreneurs are not, in my experience, the type who are going to cross the border in the dead of night," says Angelo A. Paparelli, an immigration attorney. "Most people come here in a lawful status, and then in one way or another by design or by unwitting behavior or by failure to act fall out of status. That is not an easy situation for people."

But the stakes are high. Triggering scrutiny could ruin a business. "They may have hired U.S. workers, they may have signed a lease on a building," Paparelli says. "All of that gets thrown into a situation of jeopardy."

http://www.smartmoney.com/taxes/income/for-illegal-alien-entrepreneurs-tax-time-is-tricky-20920/

That's all I got. 

OHgirlinCA
by Platinum Member on Jun. 8, 2012 at 5:05 PM

I don't think you'll find anything.  If they're illegally here, they can't legally run a business as far as I know....

muslimahpj
by Ruby Member on Jun. 8, 2012 at 5:07 PM
2 moms liked this

iluv2meow
by on Jun. 8, 2012 at 5:08 PM

Hmm sounds like a lot of theories regards to ILLEGALS owning businesses in America and really there was absolutely nothing explaining how Illegals are legally running these businesses. What type of ID are they using? How do they file their taxes? How does the government not know they are ILLEGAL when filing taxes for their businesses? Why is it that they are being granted permission to run and open businesses illegally in this country?

I have absolutely NOTHING against immigrants running and operating businesses in America we got tons of them and we also run businesses in other countries, but shit at least they are legal and many of our business owners are running legally in other countries.

Quoting krysstizzle:

How many people are facing this dilemma? It's tough to tell. There's no official data on the number of illegal-alien entrepreneurs, but the general population of unauthorized migrants continues to swell. As many as 12 million illegal immigrants live in the U.S., up from an estimated 8.4 million in 2000, according to the Pew Hispanic Center, a nonpartisan research group in Washington. Without papers, many illegal aliens can't easily enter the work force. Those with limited English-language skills find it even more difficult to get a job. Many do the next natural thing, starting their own businesses.

A study last year by the Ewing Marion Kauffman Foundation, a Kansas City, Mo., nonprofit that supports entrepreneurship, found that immigrants in general start businesses at a higher rate than native-born Americans. About 350 out of 100,000 immigrants started a business per month in 2005, compared with about 280 out of 100,000 native-born Americans, the Kauffman study found. The study didn't distinguish between legal and illegal immigrants.

One theory as to why immigrants start more businesses is that they have traveled "from far away and, in some cases, at large expense to come here," says Rob Fairlie, an economist at University of California-Santa Cruz, who conducted the research for Kauffman. "They are self-selected at being more risk-taking and entrepreneurial."

A lot of these business owners do indeed file their taxes, usually by obtaining a nine-digit Individual Taxpayer Identification Number issued by the Internal Revenue Service, according to a number of immigration attorneys. Many, in fact, came to the country legally, through a student visa or an employer-sponsored H-1B work visa.

"A very large number of entrepreneurs are not, in my experience, the type who are going to cross the border in the dead of night," says Angelo A. Paparelli, an immigration attorney. "Most people come here in a lawful status, and then in one way or another by design or by unwitting behavior or by failure to act fall out of status. That is not an easy situation for people."

But the stakes are high. Triggering scrutiny could ruin a business. "They may have hired U.S. workers, they may have signed a lease on a building," Paparelli says. "All of that gets thrown into a situation of jeopardy."

http://www.smartmoney.com/taxes/income/for-illegal-alien-entrepreneurs-tax-time-is-tricky-20920/

That's all I got. 

iluv2meow
by on Jun. 8, 2012 at 5:09 PM

According to Tanya in a previous related topic post she claims that there are THOUSANDS OF THEM working and running businesses in the United States. Yes illegals.

Quoting OHgirlinCA:

I don't think you'll find anything.  If they're illegally here, they can't legally run a business as far as I know....

Tanya93
by on Jun. 8, 2012 at 5:11 PM
1 mom liked this

And you are way naive of businesses Texas, New Mexico, Arizona, and California if you think that doesn't happen.

Fake numbers are easy to get.

Quoting iluv2meow:

According to Tanya in a previous related topic post she claims that there are THOUSANDS OF THEM working and running businesses in the United States. Yes illegals.

Quoting OHgirlinCA:

OHgirlinCA
by Platinum Member on Jun. 8, 2012 at 5:12 PM

Legit businesses that pay taxes and everything?  I seriously doubt that.

Quoting iluv2meow:

Quoting OHgirlinCA:

Tanya93
by on Jun. 8, 2012 at 5:12 PM
1 mom liked this

Actually, they do.   It is not hard to get the numbers to make a business.

Quoting OHgirlinCA:

Quoting iluv2meow:

Quoting OHgirlinCA:

OHgirlinCA
by Platinum Member on Jun. 8, 2012 at 5:14 PM
1 mom liked this

If they're using fake numbers, than they're not legit or legal.  They just haven't been found out yet. 

Quoting Tanya93:

Quoting OHgirlinCA:

Quoting iluv2meow:

Quoting OHgirlinCA:

Tanya93
by on Jun. 8, 2012 at 5:15 PM
1 mom liked this

And?

How does that prevent them from running a business and paying taxes?

the cat keeps moving the goal posts on her arguments.

Quoting OHgirlinCA:

If they're using fake numbers, than they're not legit or legal.  They just haven't been found out yet. 

Quoting Tanya93:

Quoting OHgirlinCA:

Quoting iluv2meow:

Quoting OHgirlinCA:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)