Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

why would it be bad if all street drugs were legalized?

I just want to know what your opinions are :)
To me it seems like if things like heroin were only administered at clinics (like methadone) we would be paying less for them to be in jail (I would prefer the focus to be on murderers, rapists and thieves). Regulate other things (ecstasy, cocaine etc.) and just let adults be adults. The consequences for being out of control would remain the same like losing your job or your family just like for alcoholics. I just don't understand thinking that you can tell people what they can and can't do on their own time if it isn't hurting others.
There are TONS of legal drugs much more harmful than these and I don't get what makes one less of a drug than another.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Jun. 9, 2012 at 12:13 AM
Replies (161-170):
prego122211
by Member on Jun. 10, 2012 at 12:15 PM

Sheep? Ok when were you in high school last, or middle school. It depends on were you are but the kids I see are 12, 13 dressing and acting like 18 year olds acted years ago. The youth today is very corrupted sadly, and as for adults not buying them....ok how do underage teens drink so much then??? And if its whats going on, young adults will try it period. Dealers will not cease to exsist either, who you think will buy it for teens...hmmm lets think about that.

Quoting aviatioNation:

How nice, insult people for disagreeing with you.

Legalizing drugs doesn't mean making them more readily available to teens, it means making them less so. Right now teens can get drugs from any dealer they want, but if drugs are legalized only adults will be able to buy them. Sure, some bad people will buy them for teens, but most won't. As for teens being so easily influenced, I disagree. Just becasue one teen does something doesn't mean all of the others will follow, they're not sheep.

The number of people trying would not go up much, because most young people try drugs to rebel against authority. Obeying the law isn't much of a rebellion.

Addiction wouldn't be easier because, contrary to what the gov't feeds us, most illegal drugs are no more addictive than legal ones. Only one out of every ten people who try heroin once will use it again.

Quoting prego122211:

Are you fucking insane? A small increase, you should know how inflenced teens are...Maybe your too old, but kids now of days will try anything there friends are doing. If it was legal the number of people tryin them would go sky high, probably more by todays youth and the num. of addicts would increase just as much. If its legal and people get it easier, addiction as well will be easier.

Quoting aviatioNation:

There would be a small increase in the number of people trying street drugs, but that doesn't mean an increase in the number of addicts.

Quoting prego122211:

If everyone went around with meth and coke tho more ple would be trying it for the first time...I dont know anyone doin those really and wouldnt go searching for it, but if it was everywhere like i said more people are going to try it. Its not about the people who want it, its about the people who dont care and try it because its around more.

Quoting aviatioNation:

Not everyone tries alcohol. And illegal or not, if someone wants to try drugs they will.

Quoting prego122211:

more people would try it if it was legal...like alchol, everyone trys it once there 21 if they didnt before

aviatioNation
by on Jun. 10, 2012 at 12:21 PM

As I've said before, I'm not talking about meth. Meth is made from drain cleaner, heroin and coke are made from plants. And no, they are not more dangerous than tobacco, alcohol, and bath salts. 4,500 die from coke and heroin each year, 80,000 from alcohol, and 440,000 from tobacco. Which of those is really the worst? I'll give you a hint: it's tobacco. How did we justify legalizing alcohol and tobacco to begin with? They're far more dangerous. There are well-known and well documented risks to everything, drugs, alcohol, caffeine, water. Legalization is good, it means less crime associated with drug use.

How would it not help addicts to legalize? They would be able to seek treatment without fear of prison time, so more of them would. They wouldn't be using drugs laced with who knows what. They wouldn't have to risk being murdered, robbed, or raped to get the drugs. Why is it okay for alcoholics-who kill innocent bystanders with their addiction every 30 minutes-to have easy access to their drug but not for others? Only one of every ten people who try heroin will use it again. You can believe what you want, but experts agree that alcohol is more dangerous than heroin.

Quoting Lizardannie1966:

I beg to differ on drugs such as Meth and Heroin being no more dangerous than currently legal drugs but even then, how does this justify legalizing such hard-core drugs to begin with? There are well-known and well-documented risks and dangers to taking drugs such as the aforementioned Meth and Heroin. Why would we want to allow these drugs to be legalized and give a green light to addicts?

While I *get* the compassion and the desire to want to help a user, we would be practically putting their addictions (even potential ones to the supposed "casual user") in their hands were these drugs legalized and I'm sorry, but I don't see this as a "safer" avenue for users. I also don't believe it will reduce usage.

Again, I say it's too big of a risk and I do not feel I am alone on this. We won't see these types of drugs legalized in this country.

Quoting aviatioNation:

I don't believe legalizing will reduce use of drugs among adults, it will just make the drugs-and users-safer. If drugs are regulated they won't be laced with poison, people won't be getting murdered as much over them. I do believe drugs use among teens and young adults will decline because it will no longer by rebelling if it's legal.

As for the dangers of illegal drugs, they are no worse than the dangers of already legal drugs.

Quoting Lizardannie1966:

So just in reading this, you endorse and support legalizing heavy narcotics becoming legalized. Yes?

My question is why? Others have mentioned that they feel it could actually reduce addiction to it. I am curious as to what YOUR take is on it?

It's as if the dangers of hard-core drugs are being dismissed and I'm sorry, but I just find that damn odd.

Correct me if I am wrong on this assumption?

Quoting aviatioNation:

It's not a "feeling" it's a fact. More people die from alcohol than any other drug except tobacco. Alcohol is just as addictive as illegal drugs and the side effects are just as bad, often worse, than alcohol.

Simply, there isn't a justifiable reason NOT to legalize drugs.

aviatioNation
by on Jun. 10, 2012 at 12:30 PM

So, what you're seeing personally is now indicative of society as a whole? That's flawed logic. So is implying that the style of clothes someone wears has anything to do with drug use. If today's youth is so "corrupted" why is the teen pregnancy rate the lowest it's been in this country since 1946? Most underage teens get alcohol by stealing from adults, getting fake ID's, or having their parents/siblings buy it for them.

Just curious, how many drugs (including alcohol) did you try in high school? If teens are so easily influenced you definately tried at least a few.

Quoting prego122211:

Sheep? Ok when were you in high school last, or middle school. It depends on were you are but the kids I see are 12, 13 dressing and acting like 18 year olds acted years ago. The youth today is very corrupted sadly, and as for adults not buying them....ok how do underage teens drink so much then??? And if its whats going on, young adults will try it period. Dealers will not cease to exsist either, who you think will buy it for teens...hmmm lets think about that.

Quoting aviatioNation:

Legalizing drugs doesn't mean making them more readily available to teens, it means making them less so. Right now teens can get drugs from any dealer they want, but if drugs are legalized only adults will be able to buy them. Sure, some bad people will buy them for teens, but most won't. As for teens being so easily influenced, I disagree. Just becasue one teen does something doesn't mean all of the others will follow, they're not sheep.

The number of people trying would not go up much, because most young people try drugs to rebel against authority. Obeying the law isn't much of a rebellion.

Addiction wouldn't be easier because, contrary to what the gov't feeds us, most illegal drugs are no more addictive than legal ones. Only one out of every ten people who try heroin once will use it again.

Quoting prego122211:

Are you fucking insane? A small increase, you should know how inflenced teens are...Maybe your too old, but kids now of days will try anything there friends are doing. If it was legal the number of people tryin them would go sky high, probably more by todays youth and the num. of addicts would increase just as much. If its legal and people get it easier, addiction as well will be easier.

Quoting aviatioNation:

There would be a small increase in the number of people trying street drugs, but that doesn't mean an increase in the number of addicts.

Quoting prego122211:

If everyone went around with meth and coke tho more ple would be trying it for the first time...I dont know anyone doin those really and wouldnt go searching for it, but if it was everywhere like i said more people are going to try it. Its not about the people who want it, its about the people who dont care and try it because its around more.

Quoting aviatioNation:

Not everyone tries alcohol. And illegal or not, if someone wants to try drugs they will.

Quoting prego122211:

more people would try it if it was legal...like alchol, everyone trys it once there 21 if they didnt before

PestPatti
by on Jun. 10, 2012 at 12:40 PM

NO she is not a sheep and PEER PRESSURE has nothing to do with  WHEN you were a teen either.   Its all about YOUR ability to say NO.    And based on your replies you dont think TEENS or others can say NO.    You are sadly mistaken.   

Quote:

Seep? Ok when were you in high school last, or middle school. It depends on were you are but the kids I see are 12, 13 dressing and acting like 18 year olds acted years ago. The youth today is very corrupted sadly, and as for adults not buying them....ok how do underage teens drink so much then??? And if its whats going on, young adults will try it period. Dealers will not cease to exsist either, who you think will buy it for teens...hmmm lets think about that. 

Quoting aviatioNation:

Quoting prego122211:

Quoting aviatioNation:

Quoting prego122211:

Quoting aviatioNation:

Quoting prego122211:

prego122211
by Member on Jun. 10, 2012 at 12:41 PM

Um really wow 1946, it seems like an epidemic every were I go...And I was a good kid in hs, i didnt try anything except weed twice...when i got out i only tried e and got more into pot. I didnt do shit because my moms a heroin addict and all the ple I know do drugs, I had to be the responsible one untill I moved out on my own at 16. I have about 30 teens I could list with babys, about 9 with more than one so you can tell them about your statistic. Clothes are to show how the day and age have changed. I am a teen so I know how we get illegal substances/alcohol. That doesnt change what I said about there still being dealers, since its legal and easier to get, thats who will be giving it to youth...This all doesnt matter much tho because this would never happen for the obvious reasons.

Quoting aviatioNation:

So, what you're seeing personally is now indicative of society as a whole? That's flawed logic. So is implying that the style of clothes someone wears has anything to do with drug use. If today's youth is so "corrupted" why is the teen pregnancy rate the lowest it's been in this country since 1946? Most underage teens get alcohol by stealing from adults, getting fake ID's, or having their parents/siblings buy it for them.

Just curious, how many drugs (including alcohol) did you try in high school? If teens are so easily influenced you definately tried at least a few.

Quoting prego122211:

Quoting aviatioNation:

Quoting prego122211:

Quoting aviatioNation:

Quoting prego122211:

Quoting aviatioNation:

Quoting prego122211:

prego122211
by Member on Jun. 10, 2012 at 1:44 PM
1 mom liked this

How old are you? I didnt used to be a teen. I am one.  Peer pressure is so strong, and at parties with alcohol, instead of people rolling joints they'll be handing out coke and meth. By making it seem like not a big deal it will be used more. I never said teens and others cant say no,because i always have... I said alot of teens and people would use and eventually get hooked because it will be more common.

Quoting PestPatti:

NO she is not a sheep and PEER PRESSURE has nothing to do with  WHEN you were a teen either.   Its all about YOUR ability to say NO.    And based on your replies you dont think TEENS or others can say NO.    You are sadly mistaken.   

Quote:

Seep? Ok when were you in high school last, or middle school. It depends on were you are but the kids I see are 12, 13 dressing and acting like 18 year olds acted years ago. The youth today is very corrupted sadly, and as for adults not buying them....ok how do underage teens drink so much then??? And if its whats going on, young adults will try it period. Dealers will not cease to exsist either, who you think will buy it for teens...hmmm lets think about that. 

Quoting aviatioNation:

Quoting prego122211:

Quoting aviatioNation:

Quoting prego122211:

Quoting aviatioNation:

Quoting prego122211:

Ms.KitKat
by Platinum Member on Jun. 10, 2012 at 1:45 PM

oh. ok. I was just curious. thanks.

Quoting caito:

Yes, I am :)

Quoting Ms.KitKat:

Quoting caito:

I agree, I think it should all be made legal and taxed all to hell. Make it safe to obtain instead of having to go to dangerous back alleys and dealing with criminals. Let people make their own responsible choices...they're going to do it anyway, might as well make it SAFE for them to do it.

I know this is waaaaaaay off topic BUT: are you also pro-choice by any chance?

Ms.KitKat
by Platinum Member on Jun. 10, 2012 at 1:53 PM

thanks, sweety. it never even occured to me that you were attacking me? LOL

Quoting aviatioNation:

Lol, my panties are fine, thanks. I was answering your question not attacking you.

Quoting Ms.KitKat:

untwist your panties, sweetheart- on here (as in the warped world of CM) you could have been drop-dead serious. it feels like I'm in freakin' alice in wonderland; what is up is down; what is wrong is right; what is insane is all perfectly normal!

Quoting aviatioNation:

It's called sarcasm, sweety.

Quoting Ms.KitKat:

You are joking right?! You DO know it is illegal to drink and drive as well as to drive drunk.

(or am I missing something here?)

Quoting survivorinohio:

I know, right?

Quoting aviatioNation:

Because legalizing and regulating means allowing people to drive under the influence. Just like driving drunk is completely legal.

Quoting gsprofval:

Do you really want the bus driver taking your kid to and from school high on anything? Or the semi driver high? Just a thought.

PestPatti
by on Jun. 10, 2012 at 3:09 PM
1 mom liked this

You are clueless if you think that's new.    PEER PRESSURE is peer pressure whethers its hey try this or " You would have sex with me if you loved me".    

NO those who don't do drugs now aren't magically going to start because its legal.    Cocaine could become legal tomorrow.  I'm still not going to snort it.    I have lived this long WITHOUT it, legality doesnt change my dislike of cocaine. 

Quoting prego122211:

How old are you? I didnt used to be a teen. I am one.  Peer pressure is so strong, and at parties with alcohol, instead of people rolling joints they'll be handing out coke and meth. By making it seem like not a big deal it will be used more. I never said teens and others cant say no,because i always have... I said alot of teens and people would use and eventually get hooked because it will be more common.

Quoting PestPatti:

Quote:

Quoting aviatioNation:

Quoting prego122211:

Quoting aviatioNation:

Quoting prego122211:

Quoting aviatioNation:

Quoting prego122211:

Lizardannie1966
by on Jun. 10, 2012 at 3:54 PM

Yet the number of deaths from cocaine is still entirely too high to promote legalizing and risking the chance that many addicts will not do as predicted here in this thread.

Way too high of a risk that were it to come down to a vote, I would shoot it down personally and I do not believe I am alone.

Less crime? How so? What exactly is the hope and wish here regarding crime and how legalizing specific drugs will minimize it?

With all due respect, I really think some of you are hoping....praying...that the ideal will work when there is a very good chance it won't. And that ideal is that addicts will seek help. Many will not due to refusal for help or inability.

Expert back-up on opinions or not.

They DO need the help instead of being demonized but making the drugs more accessible by legalizing them is, I'm sorry to say, a pipe dream and not realistic IMO.

Alcohol IS very dangerous yet that does not negate the fact that so are some of the drugs that are out there and illegal for valid reasons.

Quoting aviatioNation:

As I've said before, I'm not talking about meth. Meth is made from drain cleaner, heroin and coke are made from plants. And no, they are not more dangerous than tobacco, alcohol, and bath salts. 4,500 die from coke and heroin each year, 80,000 from alcohol, and 440,000 from tobacco. Which of those is really the worst? I'll give you a hint: it's tobacco. How did we justify legalizing alcohol and tobacco to begin with? They're far more dangerous. There are well-known and well documented risks to everything, drugs, alcohol, caffeine, water. Legalization is good, it means less crime associated with drug use.

How would it not help addicts to legalize? They would be able to seek treatment without fear of prison time, so more of them would. They wouldn't be using drugs laced with who knows what. They wouldn't have to risk being murdered, robbed, or raped to get the drugs. Why is it okay for alcoholics-who kill innocent bystanders with their addiction every 30 minutes-to have easy access to their drug but not for others? Only one of every ten people who try heroin will use it again. You can believe what you want, but experts agree that alcohol is more dangerous than heroin.

Quoting Lizardannie1966:

I beg to differ on drugs such as Meth and Heroin being no more dangerous than currently legal drugs but even then, how does this justify legalizing such hard-core drugs to begin with? There are well-known and well-documented risks and dangers to taking drugs such as the aforementioned Meth and Heroin. Why would we want to allow these drugs to be legalized and give a green light to addicts?

While I *get* the compassion and the desire to want to help a user, we would be practically putting their addictions (even potential ones to the supposed "casual user") in their hands were these drugs legalized and I'm sorry, but I don't see this as a "safer" avenue for users. I also don't believe it will reduce usage.

Again, I say it's too big of a risk and I do not feel I am alone on this. We won't see these types of drugs legalized in this country.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN