Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

why would it be bad if all street drugs were legalized?

I just want to know what your opinions are :)
To me it seems like if things like heroin were only administered at clinics (like methadone) we would be paying less for them to be in jail (I would prefer the focus to be on murderers, rapists and thieves). Regulate other things (ecstasy, cocaine etc.) and just let adults be adults. The consequences for being out of control would remain the same like losing your job or your family just like for alcoholics. I just don't understand thinking that you can tell people what they can and can't do on their own time if it isn't hurting others.
There are TONS of legal drugs much more harmful than these and I don't get what makes one less of a drug than another.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Jun. 9, 2012 at 12:13 AM
Replies (191-194):
Lizardannie1966
by on Jun. 11, 2012 at 9:26 PM

I'm "willfully choosing" to realize that you truly believe in how you feel on this and that you really believe you are the one in the right here.

That is your option, of course.

I don't "refuse to answer" anything  The words you chose were "crusade" and "misformend" and quite honestly, I'm enjoying the debate with you but I'm evidently not taking myself nearly as seriously when it comes to an online debate as you seem to be. IE...I'm not on a "crusade" but I'm also not misinformed.

I merely do not see your POV and will not agree with it.

It seemed (and still does) as if you weren't asking questions but more like drawing conclusions and making assumptions on what I wrote.

My opinion on this topic stands.

Quoting aviatioNation:

I've already asked myself that, how do you think I came to the realization that legalization is better? I used to be misinformed like you. I used to think that legalizing drugs would cause society to desend into madness. But one day, I decided to bite the bullet and look up the facts about illegal drugs. I never claimed you said any of the thinks highlighted in red, they are questions. Questions you can't answer because you choose to believe the lies you learned from D.A.R.E. Your opinions come from false facts put out by the gov't to justify the war on drugs. I don't understand how you can willfully choose to ignore the real facts.

Quoting Lizardannie1966:

Before you ask me where *I* have reached MY conclusions, why don't you actually ask yourself this? Where in anything in my first two paragraphs of what you've quoted and responded to have I said anything remotely close to everything that I've highlighted in red below that you've written to me?

I won't be a part of making the comparisons between drugs like heroin and alcohol, and having it seem as if the deaths from heroin addiction/overdose is minimalized in that comparison somehow. Even if that is not the case on your part, honestly, that is how it is coming across to me.

My opinions come from facts, as well in that I have known a few addicts over the years-both of alcohol and of drugs. It may not be something I can link but it's personal experience with those people.

Again I say, we'll have to agree to disagree on this one.

Quoting aviatioNation:

So, 2,000 deaths or 2,500 from heroin a year from coke is to many, but 80,000 from alcohol is perfectly fine? Why is it okay to legalize the drug that kills 80,000 but not the ones that kill 2,000 and 2,500? How do you reach that conclusion? Is it okay because most alcohol related deaths are of innocent bystanders, not the drinkers, while most heroin deaths are of heroin users? Would you vote to outlaw alcohol if given the chance? Or is you crusade only against the drugs that kill fewer people? It is true that many people agree with you, but that is simply because they are just as misinformed as you.

It's been explained many times why there would be less crime. Read this: http://www.urban75.com/Drugs/drugten.html

I'm not hoping for any particular outcome, I'm basing my opinion of what will happen on the facts of what has happened when other countries legalized or decriminalized drugs.

Some day the US will legalize drugs, but it won't be until the pro-legalization lobbyists have enough money to buy their own pocket politicians like the anti-legalization groups have.

Quoting Lizardannie1966:

Yet the number of deaths from cocaine is still entirely too high to promote legalizing and risking the chance that many addicts will not do as predicted here in this thread.

Way too high of a risk that were it to come down to a vote, I would shoot it down personally and I do not believe I am alone.

Less crime? How so? What exactly is the hope and wish here regarding crime and how legalizing specific drugs will minimize it?

With all due respect, I really think some of you are hoping....praying...that the ideal will work when there is a very good chance it won't. And that ideal is that addicts will seek help. Many will not due to refusal for help or inability.

Expert back-up on opinions or not.

They DO need the help instead of being demonized but making the drugs more accessible by legalizing them is, I'm sorry to say, a pipe dream and not realistic IMO.

Alcohol IS very dangerous yet that does not negate the fact that so are some of the drugs that are out there and illegal for valid reasons.

Quoting aviatioNation:

As I've said before, I'm not talking about meth. Meth is made from drain cleaner, heroin and coke are made from plants. And no, they are not more dangerous than tobacco, alcohol, and bath salts. 4,500 die from coke and heroin each year, 80,000 from alcohol, and 440,000 from tobacco. Which of those is really the worst? I'll give you a hint: it's tobacco. How did we justify legalizing alcohol and tobacco to begin with? They're far more dangerous. There are well-known and well documented risks to everything, drugs, alcohol, caffeine, water. Legalization is good, it means less crime associated with drug use.

How would it not help addicts to legalize? They would be able to seek treatment without fear of prison time, so more of them would. They wouldn't be using drugs laced with who knows what. They wouldn't have to risk being murdered, robbed, or raped to get the drugs. Why is it okay for alcoholics-who kill innocent bystanders with their addiction every 30 minutes-to have easy access to their drug but not for others? Only one of every ten people who try heroin will use it again. You can believe what you want, but experts agree that alcohol is more dangerous than heroin.

Quoting Lizardannie1966:

I beg to differ on drugs such as Meth and Heroin being no more dangerous than currently legal drugs but even then, how does this justify legalizing such hard-core drugs to begin with? There are well-known and well-documented risks and dangers to taking drugs such as the aforementioned Meth and Heroin. Why would we want to allow these drugs to be legalized and give a green light to addicts?

While I *get* the compassion and the desire to want to help a user, we would be practically putting their addictions (even potential ones to the supposed "casual user") in their hands were these drugs legalized and I'm sorry, but I don't see this as a "safer" avenue for users. I also don't believe it will reduce usage.

Again, I say it's too big of a risk and I do not feel I am alone on this. We won't see these types of drugs legalized in this country.

aviatioNation
by on Jun. 12, 2012 at 12:02 AM

For an admitted felony drug user you sure have a holier-than-thou attitude. Just curious, if drug deaths are so bad do you also think alcohol and tobacco should be illegal?

Quoting prego122211:

You know what, your right. Its wrong for the drug that kills 80,000 to be legal and the drug that kills 2,500 not be.LMFAO Lets legalize all of them and then instead 80000 being killed, we can have higher numbers from all of them. That sounds much better. Thank you I have seen the light. Why would we not make it legal, acohol shouldnt be the only way we kill off people

Quoting aviatioNation:

So, 2,000 deaths or 2,500 from heroin a year from coke is to many, but 80,000 from alcohol is perfectly fine? Why is it okay to legalize the drug that kills 80,000 but not the ones that kill 2,000 and 2,500? How do you reach that conclusion? Is it okay because most alcohol related deaths are of innocent bystanders, not the drinkers, while most heroin deaths are of heroin users? Would you vote to outlaw alcohol if given the chance? Or is you crusade only against the drugs that kill fewer people? It is true that many people agree with you, but that is simply because they are just as misinformed as you.

It's been explained many times why there would be less crime. Read this: http://www.urban75.com/Drugs/drugten.html

I'm not hoping for any particular outcome, I'm basing my opinion of what will happen on the facts of what has happened when other countries legalized or decriminalized drugs.

Some day the US will legalize drugs, but it won't be until the pro-legalization lobbyists have enough money to buy their own pocket politicians like the anti-legalization groups have.

Quoting Lizardannie1966:

Yet the number of deaths from cocaine is still entirely too high to promote legalizing and risking the chance that many addicts will not do as predicted here in this thread.

Way too high of a risk that were it to come down to a vote, I would shoot it down personally and I do not believe I am alone.

Less crime? How so? What exactly is the hope and wish here regarding crime and how legalizing specific drugs will minimize it?

With all due respect, I really think some of you are hoping....praying...that the ideal will work when there is a very good chance it won't. And that ideal is that addicts will seek help. Many will not due to refusal for help or inability.

They DO need the help instead of being demonized but making the drugs more accessible by legalizing them is, I'm sorry to say, a pipe dream and not realistic IMO.

Alcohol IS very dangerous yet that does not negate the fact that so are some of the drugs that are out there and illegal for valid reasons.

Quoting aviatioNation:

As I've said before, I'm not talking about meth. Meth is made from drain cleaner, heroin and coke are made from plants. And no, they are not more dangerous than tobacco, alcohol, and bath salts. 4,500 die from coke and heroin each year, 80,000 from alcohol, and 440,000 from tobacco. Which of those is really the worst? I'll give you a hint: it's tobacco. How did we justify legalizing alcohol and tobacco to begin with? They're far more dangerous. There are well-known and well documented risks to everything, drugs, alcohol, caffeine, water. Legalization is good, it means less crime associated with drug use.

How would it not help addicts to legalize? They would be able to seek treatment without fear of prison time, so more of them would. They wouldn't be using drugs laced with who knows what. They wouldn't have to risk being murdered, robbed, or raped to get the drugs. Why is it okay for alcoholics-who kill innocent bystanders with their addiction every 30 minutes-to have easy access to their drug but not for others? Only one of every ten people who try heroin will use it again. You can believe what you want, but experts agree that alcohol is more dangerous than heroin.

Quoting Lizardannie1966:

I beg to differ on drugs such as Meth and Heroin being no more dangerous than currently legal drugs but even then, how does this justify legalizing such hard-core drugs to begin with? There are well-known and well-documented risks and dangers to taking drugs such as the aforementioned Meth and Heroin. Why would we want to allow these drugs to be legalized and give a green light to addicts?

While I *get* the compassion and the desire to want to help a user, we would be practically putting their addictions (even potential ones to the supposed "casual user") in their hands were these drugs legalized and I'm sorry, but I don't see this as a "safer" avenue for users. I also don't believe it will reduce usage.

Again, I say it's too big of a risk and I do not feel I am alone on this. We won't see these types of drugs legalized in this country.

prego122211
by Member on Jun. 12, 2012 at 3:39 AM
Weed is legal, and I'm pretty much done with you..like said before your way to into this haha I don't think shark deaths are worse than drug deaths nor alcohol deaths...I think all deaths are horrible and it all shouldn't exist. But that's too bad cuz it does..bye

Quoting aviatioNation:

For an admitted felony drug user you sure have a holier-than-thou attitude. Just curious, if drug deaths are so bad do you also think alcohol and tobacco should be illegal?

Quoting prego122211:

You know what, your right. Its wrong for the drug that kills 80,000 to be legal and the drug that kills 2,500 not be.LMFAO Lets legalize all of them and then instead 80000 being killed, we can have higher numbers from all of them. That sounds much better. Thank you I have seen the light. Why would we not make it legal, acohol shouldnt be the only way we kill off people

Quoting aviatioNation:

Quoting Lizardannie1966:

Quoting aviatioNation:

Quoting Lizardannie1966:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
aviatioNation
by on Jun. 12, 2012 at 8:53 PM

Ecstasy isn't.

Quoting prego122211:

Weed is legal, and I'm pretty much done with you..like said before your way to into this haha I don't think shark deaths are worse than drug deaths nor alcohol deaths...I think all deaths are horrible and it all shouldn't exist. But that's too bad cuz it does..bye

Quoting aviatioNation:

Quoting prego122211:

Quoting aviatioNation:

Quoting Lizardannie1966:

Quoting aviatioNation:

Quoting Lizardannie1966:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)