Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

why would it be bad if all street drugs were legalized?

I just want to know what your opinions are :)
To me it seems like if things like heroin were only administered at clinics (like methadone) we would be paying less for them to be in jail (I would prefer the focus to be on murderers, rapists and thieves). Regulate other things (ecstasy, cocaine etc.) and just let adults be adults. The consequences for being out of control would remain the same like losing your job or your family just like for alcoholics. I just don't understand thinking that you can tell people what they can and can't do on their own time if it isn't hurting others.
There are TONS of legal drugs much more harmful than these and I don't get what makes one less of a drug than another.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Jun. 9, 2012 at 12:13 AM
Replies (31-40):
angelenia
by Bronze Member on Jun. 9, 2012 at 10:00 AM
agree completely, OP.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
TCgirlatheart
by TC on Jun. 9, 2012 at 10:02 AM
As to the OP. I have no issues with legalizing MJ, but I do have reservations of legalizing harder, more addictive drugs, like heroine and cocaine.
However, I do agree that prohibition will never eradicate the use and addiction to illegal drugs.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
survivorinohio
by René on Jun. 9, 2012 at 10:07 AM

Quoting TCgirlatheart:

As to the OP. I have no issues with legalizing MJ, but I do have reservations of legalizing harder, more addictive drugs, like heroine and cocaine.
However, I do agree that prohibition will never eradicate the use and addiction to illegal drugs.

I think decriminalization would do a lot of good for our society.  We dont have to sell heroin at the gas station we could make it so that addicts had a window of hope by offering up treatment.

People need to be accountable when they infringe on the rights of others so any crime committed against a person should be criminal but addict in general terms only hurt themselves and those that love them of course.

Removing the stigma and criminal repercussions would avail many the opportunity to face their addiction in a different light without fear of losing their job or freedom.

How far you go in life depends on your being: tender with the young, compassionate with the aged, sympathetic with the striving and tolerant of both the weak and strong.  Because someday in life you would have been one or all of these.  GeorgeWashingtonCarver

mommy2b39465
by Bronze Member on Jun. 9, 2012 at 10:10 AM

the problem with legalizing all street drugs, is that there are ones that can be halucenogenic, and ones that REALLY affect judgement. And, apparently if you get a bad batch, that's how you end up with the Miami Zombie. 

It's not just hurting the person on the drug when it affects judgement like that. I personally knew a guy who used to be a friend, but once he took the first little bit of crack, he thought it was perfectly alright to take everything in our house and loan our car out to a drug dealer, all in exchange for some more crack. That didn't hurt just him. After he came down off the crack high, he realized what all he had done but it was too late.

At least with prescription drugs, if it has these kind of affects, a person's license can be suspended. Family members are often called in to watch them. There's just more regulations.

survivorinohio
by René on Jun. 9, 2012 at 10:15 AM

The miami zombie was reportedly using a compound that isnt illegal and is sold in dollar stores.

Even if it were illegal if he and others want it it will be available.

Crimes against people should be and are criminal.  You should have pro  secuted your friend and perhaps he would rethink his drug use but alas that is always how it works.

Dr Bob said that some are unconstitutionally capable  and this will keep them enslaved in addiction.  I think that is true whether drugs are legal or not.

Quoting mommy2b39465:

the problem with legalizing all street drugs, is that there are ones that can be halucenogenic, and ones that REALLY affect judgement. And, apparently if you get a bad batch, that's how you end up with the Miami Zombie. 

It's not just hurting the person on the drug when it affects judgement like that. I personally knew a guy who used to be a friend, but once he took the first little bit of crack, he thought it was perfectly alright to take everything in our house and loan our car out to a drug dealer, all in exchange for some more crack. That didn't hurt just him. After he came down off the crack high, he realized what all he had done but it was too late.

At least with prescription drugs, if it has these kind of affects, a person's license can be suspended. Family members are often called in to watch them. There's just more regulations.

How far you go in life depends on your being: tender with the young, compassionate with the aged, sympathetic with the striving and tolerant of both the weak and strong.  Because someday in life you would have been one or all of these.  GeorgeWashingtonCarver

TCgirlatheart
by TC on Jun. 9, 2012 at 10:17 AM
I agree. I would rather see addicts get help/treatment for possession than prison time.

Quoting survivorinohio:

Quoting TCgirlatheart:

I think decriminalization would do a lot of good for our society.  We dont have to sell heroin at the gas station we could make it so that addicts had a window of hope by offering up treatment.

People need to be accountable when they infringe on the rights of others so any crime committed against a person should be criminal but addict in general terms only hurt themselves and those that love them of course.

Removing the stigma and criminal repercussions would avail many the opportunity to face their addiction in a different light without fear of losing their job or freedom.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mommy2b39465
by Bronze Member on Jun. 9, 2012 at 10:22 AM

Really! wow....didn't know that.....

We did eventually prosecute. First, we gave him a chance, told him he had to get a job and pay back all the money and stay off drugs. However, eventually he got back on the drugs. At the first sign of that, his one chance was over. We went ahead and filed it, even if it was belated.

Quoting survivorinohio:

The miami zombie was reportedly using a compound that isnt illegal and is sold in dollar stores.

Even if it were illegal if he and others want it it will be available.

Crimes against people should be and are criminal.  You should have pro  secuted your friend and perhaps he would rethink his drug use but alas that is always how it works.

Dr Bob said that some are unconstitutionally capable  and this will keep them enslaved in addiction.  I think that is true whether drugs are legal or not.

Quoting mommy2b39465:

aviatioNation
by on Jun. 9, 2012 at 10:25 AM

Not everyone tries alcohol. And illegal or not, if someone wants to try drugs they will.

Quoting prego122211:

more people would try it if it was legal...like alchol, everyone trys it once there 21 if they didnt before

aviatioNation
by on Jun. 9, 2012 at 10:26 AM
2 moms liked this

Because legalizing and regulating means allowing people to drive under the influence. Just like driving drunk is completely legal.

Quoting gsprofval:

Do you really want the bus driver taking your kid to and from school high on anything? Or the semi driver high? Just a thought.

survivorinohio
by René on Jun. 9, 2012 at 10:27 AM

I know, right?

Quoting aviatioNation:

Because legalizing and regulating means allowing people to drive under the influence. Just like driving drunk is completely legal.

Quoting gsprofval:

Do you really want the bus driver taking your kid to and from school high on anything? Or the semi driver high? Just a thought.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)