Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

why would it be bad if all street drugs were legalized?

I just want to know what your opinions are :)
To me it seems like if things like heroin were only administered at clinics (like methadone) we would be paying less for them to be in jail (I would prefer the focus to be on murderers, rapists and thieves). Regulate other things (ecstasy, cocaine etc.) and just let adults be adults. The consequences for being out of control would remain the same like losing your job or your family just like for alcoholics. I just don't understand thinking that you can tell people what they can and can't do on their own time if it isn't hurting others.
There are TONS of legal drugs much more harmful than these and I don't get what makes one less of a drug than another.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Jun. 9, 2012 at 12:13 AM
Replies (41-50):
Machelle669
by on Jun. 9, 2012 at 10:27 AM
bump

aviatioNation
by on Jun. 9, 2012 at 10:31 AM

Alcohol is more dangerous than heroin and cocaine.

Quoting Lizardannie1966:

Heroin? Cocaine? Meth? Crack?

Worse?

Legalized? Noooo!

FireBoltDancer
by on Jun. 9, 2012 at 10:32 AM
They may be responsible when they aren't high, but drugs severely impair judgement, and it will happen.

Quoting WesAndNicksMom:

Responsible adults won't drive high just like they wouldn't drive drunk.

Quoting gsprofval:

Do you really want the bus driver taking your kid to and from school high on anything? Or the semi driver high? Just a thought.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
survivorinohio
by René on Jun. 9, 2012 at 10:56 AM

Way more dangerous.  The withdrawal from alcohol can be an is deadly.  I know someone who died because he ran out of booze.  Very awful death:(  He went days alone before he was found.

Quoting aviatioNation:

Quoting Lizardannie1966:

Worse?

Legalized? Noooo!

How far you go in life depends on your being: tender with the young, compassionate with the aged, sympathetic with the striving and tolerant of both the weak and strong.  Because someday in life you would have been one or all of these.  GeorgeWashingtonCarver

Lizardannie1966
by on Jun. 9, 2012 at 11:21 AM

How so? I'd say they're both equally dangerous.

Regardless, simply because some feel that something like alcohol is more dangerous than a drug like heroin doesn't...shouldn't....mean that we legalize drugs that are widely known (and proven) to be highly addictive and incredibly harmful (mentally, emotionally and physically) to addicts.

Simply, there really isn't a justifiable reason to legalize these dangerous drugs.

Quoting aviatioNation:

Quoting Lizardannie1966:

Worse?

Legalized? Noooo!

Lizardannie1966
by on Jun. 9, 2012 at 11:23 AM

Yet, this is a valid reason to legalize cocaine? Heroin? Meth? Crack? Worse? Because something out there is more dangerous?

I know you haven't stated THIS, but I am curious how you feel on it.

Quoting survivorinohio:

Way more dangerous.  The withdrawal from alcohol can be an is deadly.  I know someone who died because he ran out of booze.  Very awful death:(  He went days alone before he was found.

Quoting aviatioNation:

Quoting Lizardannie1966:

Worse?

Legalized? Noooo!

survivorinohio
by René on Jun. 9, 2012 at 11:33 AM
1 mom liked this

Well I think that the war on drugs has had devastating effects on our society even globally.  I think people who have the issues that cause them to abuse drugs will do it whether they are legal or not.  We would all be safer if we set up an environment where its safe and we are safer as a result.   I think it is possible we would see an increase of overdose at first but that it would plateau and in the bigger picture drug use would drop as it has in Portugal. 

I really believe that there are people who are broken so badly they will never quit using drugs.  If those people infringe on the rights of others they should be jailed, otherwise why spend tens of thousands too house them?

I also think the vast majority of drug users are not hard cases and could find peace and hope given the opportunity. 

Quoting Lizardannie1966:

Yet, this is a valid reason to legalize cocaine? Heroin? Meth? Crack? Worse? Because something out there is more dangerous?

Quoting survivorinohio:

Quoting aviatioNation:

Quoting Lizardannie1966:

Worse?

Legalized? Noooo!

How far you go in life depends on your being: tender with the young, compassionate with the aged, sympathetic with the striving and tolerant of both the weak and strong.  Because someday in life you would have been one or all of these.  GeorgeWashingtonCarver

Lizardannie1966
by on Jun. 9, 2012 at 11:43 AM

I agree with some of the things you've written in your first paragraph but I'm having a hard time wrapping my mind around how legalizing these drugs can actually decrease drug abuse.

I just can't get the "can't beat em, join em" feel behind a movement to legalize all drugs. I'm also confused by the "safety" you mentioned: safe for whom?

While this sort of thing might have worked in a different country, it's too big of a gamble to take based on a hope that it will be successful in our country.

Quoting survivorinohio:

Well I think that the war on drugs has had devastating effects on our society even globally.  I think people who have the issues that cause them to abuse drugs will do it whether they are legal or not.  We would all be safer if we set up an environment where its safe and we are safer as a result.   I think it is possible we would see an increase of overdose at first but that it would plateau and in the bigger picture drug use would drop as it has in Portugal. 

I really believe that there are people who are broken so badly they will never quit using drugs.  If those people infringe on the rights of others they should be jailed, otherwise why spend tens of thousands too house them?

I also think the vast majority of drug users are not hard cases and could find peace and hope given the opportunity. 

Quoting Lizardannie1966:

Quoting survivorinohio:

Quoting aviatioNation:

\
survivorinohio
by René on Jun. 9, 2012 at 11:54 AM
1 mom liked this

Safer for everybody.  If an addict is not running scared he will not pose as great a danger on those around him  Just high speed pursuit would be reduced greatly if possession were not criminal.  If you give people a safe place to use, like some communities have done it makes the community safer as well.    If drugs were not criminal the sales would not be so illicit and dangerous as there wouldnt be lives at stake.  Sales would also be safer for the kids as the need to sling rocks on the corner for the gang would be eliminated.

Its not if you cant beat em join em its more they dont need tobe marginalized and stigmatised and demonized.  Many of them just need help to heal.  A lot of addictions grow from self medication.  Addicts are broken and locking them up doesnt fix them.

Prtugal has seen thes play out exactly as I claimed it would yrs ago.  (I have been saying all of this for a long time as drugs have had a huge impact on my own life, not my own addiction but the addiction of those around me).

Quoting Lizardannie1966:

I agree with some of the things you've written in your first paragraph but I'm having a hard time wrapping my mind around how legalizing these drugs can actually decrease drug abuse.

I just can't get the "can't beat em, join em" feel behind a movement to legalize all drugs. I'm also confused by the "safety" you mentioned: safe for whom?

While this sort of thing might have worked in a different country, it's too big of a gamble to take based on a hope that it will be successful in our country.

Quoting survivorinohio:

Quoting Lizardannie1966:

Quoting survivorinohio:

Quoting aviatioNation:

\

shannonnigans
by Platinum Member on Jun. 9, 2012 at 12:06 PM
2 moms liked this
Lets see, using the Portugal study, which I remember reading even before it was cited here (thank you for posting it, however, it would have slipped my mind), the use of hard drugs declined dramatically. In addition, you'd eliminate a ton of crime, and perhaps incapacitate drug cartels (not saying they wouldn't find other criminal activities, they would and already have) but it would still be a huge financial blow to them, given the revenue from drugs. Relatedly, our prisons would be much better used for violent criminals who all too often are released prematurely due to severe overcrowding. Overcrowding prisons by loading them with drug users has always seemed insane to me, and demonstrates how much resources law enforcement puts into narcotics which could be used for violent crime instead. Both of these would result in huge financial savings. As with any legal drug - cigarettes, alcohol, etc., there would also be huge tax revenue generated. Also, isn't the genie already out of the bottle? How easy is it to get a totally legal prescription for very dangerous drugs like OxyContin already? Really, you're already there.

Having said all that, I'm not sure if I'm ready to take that final leap just yet and legalize everything, but there are LOTS of justifiable reasons in support of it.

Quoting Lizardannie1966:

How so? I'd say they're both equally dangerous.

Regardless, simply because some feel that something like alcohol is more dangerous than a drug like heroin doesn't...shouldn't....mean that we legalize drugs that are widely known (and proven) to be highly addictive and incredibly harmful (mentally, emotionally and physically) to addicts.

Simply, there really isn't a justifiable reason to legalize these dangerous drugs.

Quoting aviatioNation:

Quoting Lizardannie1966:

Worse?

Legalized? Noooo!

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)