Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

YOUR HERITAGE MONTH...MYTH BUSTER STYLE!

Posted by on Jun. 9, 2012 at 8:13 AM
  • 37 Replies
4 moms liked this

TIME TO DISPEL ANOTHER RUMOR! BLACK HISTORY MONTH IS SO UNFAIR, BECAUSE WHITE PEOPLE DONT HAVE ONE....ASIANS DONT HAVE ONE....JEWISH PEOPLE DONT HAVE ONE! ACTUALLY THEY DO AND THE FACT THAT EVEN THOUGH YOU HAVE ONE DO NOT ACTIVELY PARTICIPATE IN IT, BUT YET BLINDLY TRY TO TAKE AWAY FROM SOMEONE ELSES IS REDICULOUS! ANYWHO KNOWLEDGE IS POWER PEOPLE!

January, Martin Luther King, Jr., Day, January 15 (ARC ID 542069)

April, Earth Day, April 22 (ARC ID 553803)

July 4, Independence Day, Declaration of Independence (ARC ID 1419123)

by on Jun. 9, 2012 at 8:13 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
OHgirlinCA
by Platinum Member on Jun. 9, 2012 at 8:55 AM
There isn't an English/British heritage month. Uh oh.... I'm a bit Irish so I'll take it... Seriously though, I really don't care.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
DenaelesMom
by Member on Jun. 9, 2012 at 9:07 AM

DECEMBER IS WIDE OPEN AND THEY STILL MIGHT CHANGE IRISH AMERICAN TO EUROPEAN AMERICAN HERITAGE MONTH.

Quoting OHgirlinCA:

There isn't an English/British heritage month. Uh oh.... I'm a bit Irish so I'll take it... Seriously though, I really don't care.

tooptimistic
by Kelly on Jun. 9, 2012 at 9:27 AM
2 moms liked this

So is July considered "American" heritage month? 

I am American.. not a "fill in the blank"- American.. Just a plain ole, red blooded, regular American.  All this other non sense is a bit much.

DenaelesMom
by Member on Jun. 9, 2012 at 9:31 AM
1 mom liked this

Why is it non sense? If one wanted to consider July American Heritage month then I guess one could say so, but in a sense every month is American Heritage Month!

Quoting tooptimistic:

I am American.. not a "fill in the blank"- American.. Just a plain ole, red blooded, regular American.  All this other non sense is a bit much.

wenchmommy381
by Wenchy on Jun. 9, 2012 at 9:35 AM
2 moms liked this

I think it's funny that Hispanics don't get a whole month; instead, it's half of September and half of October. 

All of it is a little ridiculous... I wonder if England has "Roman heritage month" or "Celtic Awareness month." Probably not, because Romans and Celts are part of English heritage.... and that's how it's supposed to be. We ARE our backgrounds... all of them.

tooptimistic
by Kelly on Jun. 9, 2012 at 9:36 AM

The "fill in the blank" American is divisive.  Are we Americans or not? 

Don't get me wrong I don't care about "fill in the blank" American month.. just making the point of we are Americans.  

Quoting DenaelesMom:

Why is it non sense? If one wanted to consider July American Heritage month then I guess one could say so, but in a sense every month is American Heritage Month!

Quoting tooptimistic:

tooptimistic
by Kelly on Jun. 9, 2012 at 9:38 AM

Quoting wenchmommy381:

I think it's funny that Hispanics don't get a whole month; instead, it's half of September and half of October. 

All of it is a little ridiculous... I wonder if England has "Roman heritage month" or "Celtic Awareness month." Probably not, because Romans and Celts are part of English heritage.... and that's how it's supposed to be. We ARE our backgrounds... all of them.

My mind is going blank this morning.. but I think its because of big holiday or events that caused Hispanic month is be half of one and half of another.

_Kissy_
by on Jun. 9, 2012 at 9:41 AM
Good Gawd really? There's no such thing as " white" there's a slew of ethnicity in a white person eg..Irish, Russian, Greek, Scottish, etc.. figure out which race is dominant in your family, I'm sure America has a day for it
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
DenaelesMom
by Member on Jun. 9, 2012 at 9:42 AM
2 moms liked this

I don't think it's divisive because it brings the spotlight to our different cultures within America. Why are conversations with another so difficult? How can one walk away offended by another when the other doesn't mean to offend? Does being American mean to forget history and diversity, and if that happens what do you have left? Even doctors benefit from learning about different cultures and medicine. Not every American treatment treats all American's the same. Some black people cannot be treated with Morphine but rather have to use Dilaudid because of different reactions. More white people suffer from osteoporosis because of the genes they inherited.

Quoting tooptimistic:

Don't get me wrong I don't care about "fill in the blank" American month.. just making the point of we are Americans.  

Quoting DenaelesMom:

Quoting tooptimistic:

tooptimistic
by Kelly on Jun. 9, 2012 at 10:24 AM
1 mom liked this

I get doctors considering drug reactions individually.

Being American means being around many different cultures, so the "old countries" we all came from will never be forgotten. 

I think the point of the post is to prove there are many  "white" American months.. which is silly.  When it comes down to it, we are all American.  The twenty eight days that another culture is spotlighted which gets so many panties ruffled is a good thing, not a bad thing and no reason for me or anyone else to get silly about.

I am American, as are most here.  Yes my orginal family was Cherokee mostly with a little Welsh and Irish, but I am American. I raised American.. like most on here. :)

Quoting DenaelesMom:

I don't think it's divisive because it brings the spotlight to our different cultures within America. Why are conversations with another so difficult? How can one walk away offended by another when the other doesn't mean to offend? Does being American mean to forget history and diversity, and if that happens what do you have left? Even doctors benefit from learning about different cultures and medicine. Not every American treatment treats all American's the same. Some black people cannot be treated with Morphine but rather have to use Dilaudid because of different reactions. More white people suffer from osteoporosis because of the genes they inherited.

Quoting tooptimistic:

Quoting DenaelesMom:

Quoting tooptimistic:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN