Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Man filmed whipping his son during game of catch arrested for child abuse

Posted by on Jun. 10, 2012 at 7:19 AM
  • 497 Replies

Man filmed whipping his son during game of catch arrested for child abuse

By NINA GOLGOWSKI

A California water agency director has been arrested on suspicion of felony child abuse after a neighbour shot and posted an online video of him whipping his stepson with a belt while playing catch.

Imperial Irrigation District Director Anthony Sanchez, 34, was arrested on Friday on $100,000 bond  after caught hitting the child with a belt in one hand and a baseball glove in the other.

In the video filmed and uploaded to YouTube by neighbour Oscar Lopez, the stepfather is seen repeatedly beating the boy, even knocking him to the ground, before stepping back to wait for him to toss the ball back which he drops.

After a long stall by the boy who stands frozen in place, the man returns to him - a glove on one hand and a belt in the other - hitting him once again.

The boy can be seen physically upset, holding his body, before Mr Lopez opens his window, calling at him to stop.

'Are you having a problem with the way I'm raising my son?' Sanchez can be heard responding.

'I'm having a f****** problem with you for beating the s*** out of him because he won't catch the damn ball.'

'Do you know my son?'

'I don't know your son but I'm watching you. I'm a f****** father too.'

Lopez says he posted the video on Facebook and YouTube then gave it to authorities.

---

'I didn't understand why he was playing with him and disciplining him,' Mr Lopez told KYMA. 'It just didn't stop.'

Sanchez's attorney Ryan Childers acknowledges the video is disturbing, but urged people to wait until more details were revealed before reaching any conclusions about the case.

The condition of the boy has not been released.

According to Lt Scott Sheppeard and the Imperial Valley Press, Sanchez has no known prior record of child abuse or anger management issues.

'Every parent in the state of California has the right by law to discipline their child,' Lt Sheppeard said at a press conference, 'when you cross the line between what's legal and what's not legal is if the infliction of injury.'

Elected to the utility board of directors as a public official, Sanchez's term expires in December 2014.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2156819/Anthony-Sanchez-filmed-whipping-son-game-catch-arrested-child-abuse.html

Video Link for Mobile Users:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=8lLfyEqgIEw

The Video:

by on Jun. 10, 2012 at 7:19 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
emmy526
by Member on Jun. 10, 2012 at 7:24 AM
10 moms liked this

i can imagine what that boy went thru behind closed doors at his house, if the father could beat him like that outside. 

Wife2AGeek
by on Jun. 10, 2012 at 7:39 AM
52 moms liked this

Giving this a bump.  And I want to say I give tons of KUDOS to that neighbor for having the balls to video tape and confront that man.

SuprMom12042702
by Member on Jun. 10, 2012 at 7:45 AM
6 moms liked this

I think people need to keep their noses out of other people's business and need to quit making things out to be

something that it isn't. At least this father is disciplining his son, its become a lost art these days and that is why the

little brats run wild with no respect thinking the world owes them something. If I were the father, I would be suing the

damn nosy neighbor for invasion of privacy

MomofNikki2010
by Silver Member on Jun. 10, 2012 at 7:48 AM
21 moms liked this
Disgusting. Hope he gets his ass beat in jail over and over.

Even more disgusting that someone stuck up for his actions which are clearly abuse.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Jenniy
by Bronze Member on Jun. 10, 2012 at 7:50 AM
7 moms liked this
No kid needs hit like that bc they didn't throw a baseball
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
iggwhipped72
by on Jun. 10, 2012 at 8:01 AM
125 moms liked this
You're an idiot.

Quoting SuprMom12042702:

I think people need to keep their noses out of other people's business and need to quit making things out to be

something that it isn't. At least this father is disciplining his son, its become a lost art these days and that is why the

little brats run wild with no respect thinking the world owes them something. If I were the father, I would be suing the

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
UpSheRises
by Platinum Member on Jun. 10, 2012 at 8:01 AM
26 moms liked this

So if someone thinks your child is being abused you'd rather them mind their own business?

IMO, reporting suspected child abuse isn't the same thing as being a nosey neighbor.

Quoting SuprMom12042702:

mommasbabies77
by on Jun. 10, 2012 at 8:02 AM
can some one post the direct link to the video for mobile users please?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Wife2AGeek
by on Jun. 10, 2012 at 8:05 AM

Quoting mommasbabies77:

Sorry, I'll edit and add it.  Thanks because I didn't even think of that :)

mommasbabies77
by on Jun. 10, 2012 at 8:06 AM
ty

Quoting Wife2AGeek:

Quoting mommasbabies77:

Sorry, I'll edit and add it.  Thanks because I didn't even think of that :)

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)