Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Man filmed whipping his son during game of catch arrested for child abuse

Posted by   + Show Post

Man filmed whipping his son during game of catch arrested for child abuse

By NINA GOLGOWSKI

A California water agency director has been arrested on suspicion of felony child abuse after a neighbour shot and posted an online video of him whipping his stepson with a belt while playing catch.

Imperial Irrigation District Director Anthony Sanchez, 34, was arrested on Friday on $100,000 bond  after caught hitting the child with a belt in one hand and a baseball glove in the other.

In the video filmed and uploaded to YouTube by neighbour Oscar Lopez, the stepfather is seen repeatedly beating the boy, even knocking him to the ground, before stepping back to wait for him to toss the ball back which he drops.

After a long stall by the boy who stands frozen in place, the man returns to him - a glove on one hand and a belt in the other - hitting him once again.

The boy can be seen physically upset, holding his body, before Mr Lopez opens his window, calling at him to stop.

'Are you having a problem with the way I'm raising my son?' Sanchez can be heard responding.

'I'm having a f****** problem with you for beating the s*** out of him because he won't catch the damn ball.'

'Do you know my son?'

'I don't know your son but I'm watching you. I'm a f****** father too.'

Lopez says he posted the video on Facebook and YouTube then gave it to authorities.

---

'I didn't understand why he was playing with him and disciplining him,' Mr Lopez told KYMA. 'It just didn't stop.'

Sanchez's attorney Ryan Childers acknowledges the video is disturbing, but urged people to wait until more details were revealed before reaching any conclusions about the case.

The condition of the boy has not been released.

According to Lt Scott Sheppeard and the Imperial Valley Press, Sanchez has no known prior record of child abuse or anger management issues.

'Every parent in the state of California has the right by law to discipline their child,' Lt Sheppeard said at a press conference, 'when you cross the line between what's legal and what's not legal is if the infliction of injury.'

Elected to the utility board of directors as a public official, Sanchez's term expires in December 2014.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2156819/Anthony-Sanchez-filmed-whipping-son-game-catch-arrested-child-abuse.html

Video Link for Mobile Users:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=8lLfyEqgIEw

The Video:

by on Jun. 10, 2012 at 7:19 AM
Replies (491-497):
JP-StrongForTwo
by on Jun. 14, 2012 at 3:09 AM

seriously???

i DONT spank. 

did you read everything? or are you just making assumptions? 

I have NEVER, not ONCE in this post resorted to calling anyone names, talking to someone like they are garbage, or belittling someone for their choices. 

but YOU, who sit there and call me a bitch over and over in this post....have just made yourself look very foolish. 

resorting to name calling...while you yourself are acting like the very name you are using...

and btw, it IS bullshit. do you think that CPS never ever takes children from homes for bad reasons? 

they take children from GOOD and LOVING homes ALL THE TIME. homes that DONT spank. homes that DONT yell. They take children from homes that are perfectly healthy, happy, loving homes, with no physical discipline, no emotional abuse, no dysfunction what so ever, all based on one single anonymous tip. and then after months, and even YEARS of that family being separated, SOMETIMES they give the children back and say 'oops sorry, we had to act in the best interest of the child'

i never ONCE stood up for this man. i never ONCE said 'good for him' i never ONCE said ANYTHING that could be construed as agreeing with him in the slightest. 

ALL i have ever said in this post, is 'we dont know what was happening, so we cannot make judgements' 

and i still stand by that. 

so if that makes me a bitch, then OH FUCKING WELL. 

Now, if you have actually READ this whole reply to you, I wish you the best. and have a good night. 

ETA 

and may i just say, i just spent a few minutes reading thru your posts. you have been once of the worst women on this post. you are incapable of holding a civil conversation, you lose your temper and go off on cursing sprees and throw insults around like its nobody's business. You accuse others of the very same thing you do. And then respond even harsher (if that were possible) when someone calls you out on your bad behavior. 

So. let me ask you. Were you spanked as a child? 

Quoting crazedaffe:

So I guess the case of my friend Shalynda being removed from her home because her mother used a wooden spoon to spank her and her brothers and sister is just bull shit?

And please point out in that little tidbit where it says its okay to use any item other than your hand. Because to me (and a jury of Shalynda's mothers peeps) using any other than your hand DOES cause serious physical injury. AND, bitch, my friend wasn't "spanked" half as much as this big was, so explain that to me.

You are just like the other bitch who probably hit your children. Great parenting sticking up for this asshole stepfather and thinking that what he did (regardless of reason) was okay. I wish there was a middle finger icon becaude I would give it to you.

Quoting JP-StrongForTwo:

I think you need an update on california law

California

[California Statutes]

Law not intended to prohibit the use of reasonable methods of parental discipline, or to prescribe a particular method of parenting. Serious physical harm does not include reasonable and age-appropriate spanking to the buttocks where there is no evidence of serious physical injury.
Welfare and Institutions Code § 300. [Civil Code]

Abuse includes unlawful corporal punishment or injury.
Penal Code § 11165.6. [Criminal Code]

"Unlawful corporal punishment or injury" is any person willfully inflicting upon a child any cruel or inhuman corporal punishment or injury resulting in a traumatic condition.
Penal Code § 11165.4. [Criminal Code]

glitterteaz
by Ruby Member on Jun. 14, 2012 at 3:27 AM
2 moms liked this

Just a little FYI from a adult who once was a kid spanked with a wooden spoon... That spoon will break before it could injure a child. A belt is not a tool of playing catch.

Aslen
by Silver Member on Jun. 14, 2012 at 3:02 PM
Where in wny? Im from lockport originally!

Quoting Aslen:

Quoting Adamswifeypoo08:

While Im all for the neighbor reporting this to the authorities, what is the purpose of posting this on facebook and youtube? To embarrass the father? Well what about the child being beat? Bet they didnt think of that

He also called and forwarded the video to authorities.... THAT is why the stepfather is facing felony child abuse charges!

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
1985Supersport
by Member on Jun. 14, 2012 at 3:06 PM
1 mom liked this

For starters, WHY is this father beating his son with a belt?  Catch is a tossing of the ball from person to person.  So, what's the discipline for???  Hats off to the neighbor for stepping in an recording this an standing up for what was wrong.  That father must've had a very abusive upbringing to inflict this on his son for NOT CATCHING THE BALL!  How many of you played "catch" when you were growing up?  Were you rewarded with a crack on the ass from a belt!!!!!

Babyisnumber1
by on Jun. 18, 2012 at 6:05 PM

Wow! Very sad that a time of bonding and supposedly play had to turn violent. I hope the boy is fine and he doesn't carry this during his life nor think it's ok to hurt others. I think it would've been in the neighbor's best interest to not post his tape for everyone to see nor argue and cuss with the boy's stepfather especially with the child right there. Better thing would've been to just show the police.  Anger management would benefit both parties.

yardsalemom
by on Jul. 8, 2012 at 8:44 AM
1 mom liked this

Ok, SuprMom12042702, you need help. and anyone that agrees to this needs help. There is a BIG difference in punishing a child for something they did wrong. But, not being able to catch a ball is no crime and the boy didn't need to be wipped with a belt for that. I do believe in spanking within reason you can spank without hurting a child. If that was why the child was getting a spanking.  more parents need to teach their children right from wrong, then maybe kids wouldn't bully other kids or teachers or bus drivers and aides on buses.

TCgirlatheart
by TC on Jul. 8, 2012 at 8:46 AM
Darn. I was hoping for an update on this story.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)