Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Man filmed whipping his son during game of catch arrested for child abuse

Posted by   + Show Post

Man filmed whipping his son during game of catch arrested for child abuse

By NINA GOLGOWSKI

A California water agency director has been arrested on suspicion of felony child abuse after a neighbour shot and posted an online video of him whipping his stepson with a belt while playing catch.

Imperial Irrigation District Director Anthony Sanchez, 34, was arrested on Friday on $100,000 bond  after caught hitting the child with a belt in one hand and a baseball glove in the other.

In the video filmed and uploaded to YouTube by neighbour Oscar Lopez, the stepfather is seen repeatedly beating the boy, even knocking him to the ground, before stepping back to wait for him to toss the ball back which he drops.

After a long stall by the boy who stands frozen in place, the man returns to him - a glove on one hand and a belt in the other - hitting him once again.

The boy can be seen physically upset, holding his body, before Mr Lopez opens his window, calling at him to stop.

'Are you having a problem with the way I'm raising my son?' Sanchez can be heard responding.

'I'm having a f****** problem with you for beating the s*** out of him because he won't catch the damn ball.'

'Do you know my son?'

'I don't know your son but I'm watching you. I'm a f****** father too.'

Lopez says he posted the video on Facebook and YouTube then gave it to authorities.

---

'I didn't understand why he was playing with him and disciplining him,' Mr Lopez told KYMA. 'It just didn't stop.'

Sanchez's attorney Ryan Childers acknowledges the video is disturbing, but urged people to wait until more details were revealed before reaching any conclusions about the case.

The condition of the boy has not been released.

According to Lt Scott Sheppeard and the Imperial Valley Press, Sanchez has no known prior record of child abuse or anger management issues.

'Every parent in the state of California has the right by law to discipline their child,' Lt Sheppeard said at a press conference, 'when you cross the line between what's legal and what's not legal is if the infliction of injury.'

Elected to the utility board of directors as a public official, Sanchez's term expires in December 2014.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2156819/Anthony-Sanchez-filmed-whipping-son-game-catch-arrested-child-abuse.html

Video Link for Mobile Users:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=8lLfyEqgIEw

The Video:

by on Jun. 10, 2012 at 7:19 AM
Replies (31-40):
Shortiekt
by Gold Member on Jun. 10, 2012 at 11:06 AM
1 mom liked this
I'd agree if he was disciplining him for more than not excelling at baseball or a game of catch.

Quoting SuprMom12042702:

I think people need to keep their noses out of other people's business and need to quit making things out to be

something that it isn't. At least this father is disciplining his son, its become a lost art these days and that is why the

little brats run wild with no respect thinking the world owes them something. If I were the father, I would be suing the

damn nosy neighbor for invasion of privacy

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
PortiaRose
by on Jun. 10, 2012 at 11:12 AM
1 mom liked this
But what was he doing WRONG??

Quoting SuprMom12042702:

I think people need to keep their noses out of other people's business and need to quit making things out to be

something that it isn't. At least this father is disciplining his son, its become a lost art these days and that is why the

little brats run wild with no respect thinking the world owes them something. If I were the father, I would be suing the

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
sjump25
by on Jun. 10, 2012 at 11:13 AM
2 moms liked this

Are you freaking kidding me????  You think it's okay to beat a child with a belt because he isn't catching the ball?  Your poor kids.

Quoting SuprMom12042702:

Aslen
by Silver Member on Jun. 10, 2012 at 11:16 AM

WTF?!?! He's WHIPPING that child with a belt for NOT CATCHING A BALL!!!!!!!! THIS IS NOT DISCIPLINE 

Quoting SuprMom12042702:

AnnieMcD
by on Jun. 10, 2012 at 11:18 AM
1 mom liked this

Holy shit why did I just watch  that. :o( 

PaganMom2285
by on Jun. 10, 2012 at 11:20 AM
7 moms liked this

Diciplin is one thing. This kid was terrified cause he couldn't catch the ball and his stepfather was beating him for it. Sounds like you need a nosey neighbor to pay a little more attention to what *you're* doing lady.

Little known fact, Neighbors used to be part of a crutial checks and balances system for our society. They came over had a friendly BBQ chatted with us and made sure we weren't beating the crap out of our spouse or kids and if we were we either got reported to the police or shunned. Too bad we don't have any kind of BALANCE any more because That my friends is what we dearly need.

Quoting SuprMom12042702:

Aslen
by Silver Member on Jun. 10, 2012 at 11:21 AM
2 moms liked this

I"ve just got tears streaming down my face.....

raegan1221
by on Jun. 10, 2012 at 11:29 AM
3 moms liked this

No kidding. There's a huge difference between spanking and beating. I was spanked with a belt when I was young, but it was on my butt and only like once...they didn't keep coming at me. I don't like when people scream abuse because of one small spanking, but I also hate it when people under play this type of abuse. Huge Kudos to that neighbor. He did the right thing.

Quoting iggwhipped72:

You're an idiot.

Quoting SuprMom12042702:

Faith, Hope & Love "I Will Have Faith in YOU, Hope For YOU To Come Home To Me & Love YOU More Every Day".
sstripedmonkey
by Member on Jun. 10, 2012 at 11:40 AM
Hitting with an object is never ok, that being said we do spank but only as a last resort. Hitting a kid because he can't catch is sad. That father should be hit to see how he likes it

Quoting SuprMom12042702:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MrsAdorkable
by on Jun. 10, 2012 at 11:42 AM
3 moms liked this

Quoting SuprMom12042702:

I am going to cry troll, because surely no mother in their right mind can look at this video and say it is acceptable discipline.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured