An Orlando man says T-Mobile gave him the cellphone number formerly used by George Zimmerman. He also received a nonstop plethora of threatening calls intended for Zimmerman, who fatally shot Trayvon Martin.
The Orlando Sentinel reported that Junior Alexander Guy, 49, had to move out of his home because of safety concerns. He also had to move his mother, who lived with him.
Guy told the Sentinel he bought the phone May 7 and received more than 70 threatening calls. He turned the phone over to an attorney, who kept it in a safe.
T-Mobile agreed to change the number and is retiring it.
Guy is asking T-Mobile to pay damages. The company refused, and a spokesman said it provided an account credit and waived an early termination fee.
Guy was released from prison last year after serving 19 years on a cocaine trafficking charge, according to state records. He told the Sentinel this was the first time he had purchase a cellphone.
Zimmerman recited the phone number to a police dispatcher the night of the shooting, and a recording of the 911 call was made public.
In February, Zimmerman was serving as a volunteer watchman at a Sanford gated community and shot Martin, a teen walking to a home where he was staying with his father.
Zimmerman, 28, was charged with second-degree murder and has pleaded not guilty. He is being held at a Seminole County jail with no bail.