Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Thats what a teacher called a student when she forgot his name....i hope he said to her, "hey Bitch"...cuz he forgot her name.

http://www.wfsb.com/story/18727866/waterbury-teacher-allegedly-calls-student-black-boy

WATERBURY, CT (WFSB) -

Parents and the NAACP spoke out Thursday night during a Board of Education meeting in Waterbury after hearing a teacher referred to a student as a "black boy".

The math teacher, Kathleen Pyles, has been placed on paid administrative leave after accusations surfaced that she made the racist remark to the student.

However, many feel further action is needed against the teacher.

"It's not acceptable. I think they should let her go, we can't accept this from anybody," Helen Taylor said.

Parents felt if Pyles could not remember the student's name, there are several other ways she could have addressed him.

"She doesn't seem like a racist," said Wendaliz Hernandez. "She was nice."

Hernandez, an eighth grader at the school, was surprised to hear about the alleged comment, although she said she wouldn't like it if she was referred to by the color of her skin.

"I don't know what she said to him, but just don't be racist," she said.

Officials at the North End Middle School said a parent filed a complaint after learning of the incident.

"We wish to assure parents that we take this allegation very seriously," said Waterbury Public Schools COO Paul F. Guidone. "We do not tolerate or condone the claimed behavior from our staff, and if the allegation of making racist remarks is proven true, the district will take appropriate action."

North End Middle School officials said the teacher would remain on paid administrative leave pending the outcome of the investigation.

School officials said Pyles has only been at the school about a year and before that was in Kentucky.

Copyright 2012 WFSB (Meredith Corporation). All rights reserved.

by on Jun. 11, 2012 at 7:33 AM
Replies (191-200):
Meire
by Bronze Member on Jun. 12, 2012 at 10:05 AM

Quoting emmy526:

i agree... if she had said 'white boy', there wouldnt' be nearly the backlash....it would not have even made the news. 

Quoting Tea4Tas:

Quoting mommajen32:

Quoting Tea4Tas:

Quoting Meire:

For those of you who really want to know what is offensive here it is It has been historically offensive to call a black man(wait for it) BOY. The reason for this is during slavery times it was used to demean black men. Any teacher knows this I am suprised you guys don't!  So of course a teacher saying hey black boy(not just BOY) would chafe! For those trying to learn more about culture do a web search on the word BOY and African Americans/Blacks...

Absolutely. But this WAS a boy. He was an 8th grade student-NOT a man.

Here's the full context, not in the OPs article, she was doing much more than just referring to him as a boy. She refused to use his proper name and chose "black boy" instead ... 

Kathleen Pyles was in the middle of a lesson when she called a student by the wrong name. When the student corrected the teacher, Pyles responded with “How about black boy? Go sit down black boy.”

I read it. I was addressing the issue that it was demeaning to call-a boy a boy.

He is a boy. Now it is totally inappropriate to refer to someone by their race in this kind of situation-so if she said Boy in the red shirt sit down-she wouldn't be in trouble.

Although, frankly I think if she had said white boy sit down, it never would have been an issue-and it would have been just as wrong. It would have been wrong of her to say white boy, it would have been rude and disrespectful.

Kathleen Pyles, a math teacher at North End Middle School in Waterbury, Conn (© WFSB, http://aka.ms/wfsb)

Teacher forgets kid's name, calls him 'black boy'

3 days ago

We've all had moments when someone's name has temporarily slipped our memory. Most of us, however, don't resort to racial slurs as a placeholder. That's allegedly what one Connecticut middle school teacher did last month when she apparently forgot the name of a student and insteadreferred to him as "black boy." Kathleen Pyles, a math teacher at North End Middle School in Waterbury, Conn., became agitated when the student corrected her when she called him the wrong name, reportedly responding, "How about black boy? Go sit down, black boy." Pyles has been placed on administrative leave while school officials investigate.

futureshock
by Ruby Member on Jun. 12, 2012 at 10:06 AM

Quoting SunshneDaydream:

"Black" is a racial slur???  Well I must be a damn racist because I've certainly described people as being black before.  What exactly is the correct term to use now?

Quoting Happymamax2:

Throughout history this has been used as a racial slur.  It was/is highly demeaning and offensive.  Everyone with an ounce of sense knows this.  Especially teachers.  If they do not realize this, they should be fired anyway.  

Quoting SunshneDaydream:

I'm not sure I would call that "racism".  Rude?  Yes.  Unprofessional?  Insulting?  Definitely yes.  But it's not racist.  I mean, he is a black boy right?  Would it be racist to say "hey white boy"?  She didn't use a racial slur, I think it's a little inflammatory to jump on this woman as being a racist.  I'm not defending her actions, I just think the word "racist" is being used incorrectly.  It was certainly uncalled for though. 

Are you serious?

MommaLehr
by Member on Jun. 12, 2012 at 10:23 AM
2 moms liked this
I am actually learning so much from this forum.
Initially, I thought nothing of this story. Its NBD, ppl get their panties in a twist over everything nowadays. Yes, it was rude, but certainly not racist! Or, maybe the kids name was hard to pronounce and she thought she was being cute.
Hells no. She knew what she was saying and how demeaning it is.

After reading the replies on this post, including the etymology and context of "boy", this chick needs to be fired and stop teaching- forever.

I don't want my kids witnessing this and thinking its ok. Ugh. I am disgusted.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Shortiekt
by Gold Member on Jun. 12, 2012 at 10:40 AM
1 mom liked this

Quoting janessa27:

Quoting Shortiekt:

Quoting mommajen32:

Quoting Tea4Tas:

Quoting Meire:

For those of you who really want to know what is offensive here it is It has been historically offensive to call a black man(wait for it) BOY. The reason for this is during slavery times it was used to demean black men. Any teacher knows this I am suprised you guys don't!  So of course a teacher saying hey black boy(not just BOY) would chafe! For those trying to learn more about culture do a web search on the word BOY and African Americans/Blacks...

Here's the full context, not in the OPs article, she was doing much more than just referring to him as a boy. She refused to use his proper name and chose "black boy" instead ... 

Kathleen Pyles was in the middle of a lesson when she called a student by the wrong name. When the student corrected the teacher, Pyles responded with “How about black boy? Go sit down black boy.”

The woman had the audacity to repeat it in a divisive manner. Being that she's from Kentucky she knew full and well the connotation she was promoting. 

Ugh- why?? *SMH*!

Because she's old enough to remember when 'black boy' was used as a pejorative term, which was often used in southern states like Kentucky.

la_bella_vita
by Bella on Jun. 12, 2012 at 10:41 AM

Quoting emelymac:

Really? She couldn't say "hey you in the red shirt" or something like that?

THis

jewels5525
by Gold Member on Jun. 12, 2012 at 10:46 AM

Quoting mommajen32:

Quoting jewels5525:

My girls go to school in New haven, we are lucky to be in one of the good ones, ironically in one of the worst neighborhoods.  Sad when we used to have fire drills, the kids now have lock down drills, which they have used after shootings in the area.

But it could be worse, they just pulled state funding from my town's local public school, now they are dropping all extracurricular activities and classes. SMH. 

Like i mentioned earlier, Waterbury has a high minority population, does that change anyones feelings on this case.  Chances are this was a white teacher with a mostly black or hispanic classroom. Does that change any dynamics there.

Quoting Kate_Momof3:

Yeah, there's a LOT of disparity in this state. Connecticut is actually one of the most segregated states in the US. No one ever mentions it, but it's there. Look at our cities: 4 people died this weekend due to violence in Hartford, New Haven is regressing back into the war zone it was twenty years ago, and I don't even know what the hell is up with Bridgeport...

I'm lucky; I live in a nice part of the state where we can pretty much ignore our cities when we fly through them on the train to NYC.

Quoting emmy526:

a LOT of Ct schools are horrible...the poorer the town, the worse the school is.  i know, i live in a poor town, and kids have to SHARE their textbooks in middle and high school because there aren't enough to go around.  

Quoting Kate_Momof3:

Waterbury schools are crap. When you can't pay for decent teachers, this is what you get! 

Think about it the next time you vote for your schools' budgets.

The fact that the school has a high minority population doesn't change my view, the fact that she just moved to the area from Kentucky gives me cause for caution. There are some areas that are begging for teachers and some don't have the background to be prepared for colorful environments. 

Yea, i was thinking it was even worse if the classroom was mostly black, and goes against peoples areguments that she was using it as a description.  but being that she comes from a sterotypical racist area is even worse than that.  If those are your feelings, why come to a city like that.   Maybe she saw herself as a "great white hope" to these students but didn't quite work out that way. LOL

jewels5525
by Gold Member on Jun. 12, 2012 at 10:49 AM

Quoting Tea4Tas:

Quoting mommajen32:

Quoting Tea4Tas:

Quoting Meire:

I read it. I was addressing the issue that it was demeaning to call-a boy a boy.

He is a boy. Now it is totally inappropriate to refer to someone by their race in this kind of situation-so if she said Boy in the red shirt sit down-she wouldn't be in trouble.

Although, frankly I think if she had said white boy sit down, it never would have been an issue-and it would have been just as wrong.

It is not demeaning to call a boy a boy.  It is demeaning what she said, and how she said it.  He told her his name, she has no right to call him anything other than that.

ksbondgirl
by on Jun. 12, 2012 at 10:52 AM
1 mom liked this

This.  His race had NOTHING to do with the fact that she forgot his name.  Equally, had it been a black teacher calling a white male student "white boy", this would have been just as bad.  This teacher did not need to use race to identify any student. 

Quoting la_bella_vita:

Quoting emelymac:

THis

futureshock
by Ruby Member on Jun. 12, 2012 at 11:00 AM
3 moms liked this

I don't understand why some women go out of their way to try to prove that something someone else said was not a racial slur, when the evidence shows it very well may have been one. 

jewels5525
by Gold Member on Jun. 12, 2012 at 11:33 AM

She was told his name, she refused to use it.

Quoting ksbondgirl:

This.  His race had NOTHING to do with the fact that she forgot his name.  Equally, had it been a black teacher calling a white male student "white boy", this would have been just as bad.  This teacher did not need to use race to identify any student. 

Quoting la_bella_vita:

Quoting emelymac:

THis

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)