Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Do you think children should be banned from singing "God Bless the USA" in school?

Posted by   + Show Post

School Bans Kindergartners From Singing 'God Bless the USA'

Posted by Julie Ryan Evans on June 11, 2012

american flagI don't care where you stand religiously or politically, when kids are allowed to croon a Justin Bieber tune for a school performance but singing a patriotic song isn't allowed, I think we have a serious problem. The problem in this case is an incident that happened last week at a grade school in Coney Island, New York, when the school's kindergartners were banned from singing "God Bless the USA."

According to the New York Post, five classes of kindergartners had been practicing the patriotic song for months. It was going to be the finale in their big graduation performance on June 20. Only when the principal, Greta Hawkins, happened upon a rehearsal, she pulled the plug on the song and told them it wouldn't be allowed in the show.

Her reason is ridiculous.

“We don’t want to offend other cultures,” teachers told the paper she said.

Offend them how exactly she didn't say, but parents are outraged, as they should be. It doesn't mean that God shouldn't bless any other country, but this is the one we're living in, so it makes sense to sing about it. If her real objection is about mentioning "God," I understand the importance of separation of church and state, but this is so far overboard, it's unbelievable. Whether you believe in God or not, I think you can agree the sentiment is a lovely one, and parents aren't objecting to their kids singing it. So why should the school? God is part of many people's lives in this county and an important part of our heritage as nation. To just wipe his name from the slate is not only ignorant, it's also offensive to plenty of cultures as well.

Also, why did she pull the plug at the last minute when they'd been practicing for so long, and the same song has reportedly been sung in years past?

The school board is backing her up too, but for different reasons. Department of Education spokeswoman Jessica Scaperotti told the paper the lyrics are too grown up” for 5-year-olds. You can read the lyrics of the song here, but there's nothing in there that kindergartners shouldn't hear. The refrain:

And I'm proud to be an American
Where at least I know I'm free
And I won't forget the men who died
Who gave that right to me

And I gladly stand up next to you
And defend her still today
'Cause there ain't no doubt I love this land
God Bless the U.S.A.

The outrageous topper to this whole maddening case: They will be allowed to sing Justin Bieber's hit "Baby", which contains lines like: "Are we an item? Girl, quit playing.” You tell me which song you'd rather have your kindergartner sing.

Do you think children should be banned from singing "God Bless the USA" in school?

by on Jun. 11, 2012 at 11:08 AM
Replies (111-115):
ChrissySin
by New Member on Jun. 12, 2012 at 7:27 PM

we are in America...we have the right to CHOOSE whether we want to sing or not. In no way should it be banned alltogether.  

Cloud 9 Parties by Christine
Independent Consultant & Founding Member
Christine Sincavage
610.500.3924 - Text OK
www.cloud9partiesbychristine.com

Taking Romance to a whole new level!!

Parties are FUN, FREE and EDUCATIONAL!!
Contact me today to book your home, catalog or online party for TONS of FREE goodies!!
Everything from Mild to Wild ~ Lingerie, Shoes, Adult Novelties, Spa Products & MORE!!

Join my team and be your own boss! Work when YOU want!!
40% Commission!! FREE car and home bonus!!
Contact me TODAY!!

Launching July 9, 2012! Get in on this ground floor opportunity!

LIKE me on Facebook for specials, contests and VIP offers!!
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Cloud-9-Parties-by-Christine/422143704477679
FromAtoZ
by AllieCat on Jun. 12, 2012 at 7:28 PM

No, the song should not be banned.

I understand not wanting to offend some but wow, things are getting a tad ridiculous.

If  you (general) do not want your child singing a certain song, you (general) should have the option of pulling your child from the program.  

Banning is stupid.

NWP
by guerrilla girl on Jun. 12, 2012 at 7:36 PM
1 mom liked this

I saw this listed as a partial title under "posts in my groups" in the drop down menu and it said: Do you think children should be banned from Current Events & Hot Topics"....

I just HAD to click and see what kids were on here?

Hahahahahaha

mikiemom
by Ruby Member on Jun. 12, 2012 at 7:46 PM

This sentiment is what is wrong with this country. I didn't move here I was born here like my parents before me and their parents before them and I understand that our country is built on foundation of separation of church and state.

Again if you want your child to honor god at school send them to a religious school of your choice. My tax dollars should not be used to promote your version of the divine.

Quoting aliday2:

Simple answer. YES they should say it. Very easy. If it offends anyone maybe they should move to a different country. Or they should have not moved here in the first place.

FromAtoZ
by AllieCat on Jun. 12, 2012 at 8:03 PM

Quoting mikiemom:

This sentiment is what is wrong with this country. I didn't move here I was born here like my parents before me and their parents before them and I understand that our country is built on foundation of separation of church and state.

Again if you want your child to honor god at school send them to a religious school of your choice. My tax dollars should not be used to promote your version of the divine.

Quoting aliday2:

Simple answer. YES they should say it. Very easy. If it offends anyone maybe they should move to a different country. Or they should have not moved here in the first place.

I have no issues with this song, but then I believe in God.  I think the opt out option should be there.  I do not agree with what aliday2 said, even if I do feel some of this stuff is getting way out of hand.

If we all moved to another country because we where offended by some thing, we would not be living in any one place for long. lol  

This song is not the National Anthem, as some seem to be acting.  One does not have to sing this song to be an American.  Far too many think they should go hand in hand.  For many they might but it is not a requirement to live in the US or to be an American.

Sometimes I really wonder what our Founding Fathers would think of situations like this.  They certainly never intended on this Nation to be under any religious rule of any kind, ever.  At all.  Period. Nada.

"A bird doesn't sing because it has an answer, it sings because it has a song." ~ Maya Angelou

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN