Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Do you think children should be banned from singing "God Bless the USA" in school?

Posted by   + Show Post

School Bans Kindergartners From Singing 'God Bless the USA'

Posted by Julie Ryan Evans on June 11, 2012

american flagI don't care where you stand religiously or politically, when kids are allowed to croon a Justin Bieber tune for a school performance but singing a patriotic song isn't allowed, I think we have a serious problem. The problem in this case is an incident that happened last week at a grade school in Coney Island, New York, when the school's kindergartners were banned from singing "God Bless the USA."

According to the New York Post, five classes of kindergartners had been practicing the patriotic song for months. It was going to be the finale in their big graduation performance on June 20. Only when the principal, Greta Hawkins, happened upon a rehearsal, she pulled the plug on the song and told them it wouldn't be allowed in the show.

Her reason is ridiculous.

“We don’t want to offend other cultures,” teachers told the paper she said.

Offend them how exactly she didn't say, but parents are outraged, as they should be. It doesn't mean that God shouldn't bless any other country, but this is the one we're living in, so it makes sense to sing about it. If her real objection is about mentioning "God," I understand the importance of separation of church and state, but this is so far overboard, it's unbelievable. Whether you believe in God or not, I think you can agree the sentiment is a lovely one, and parents aren't objecting to their kids singing it. So why should the school? God is part of many people's lives in this county and an important part of our heritage as nation. To just wipe his name from the slate is not only ignorant, it's also offensive to plenty of cultures as well.

Also, why did she pull the plug at the last minute when they'd been practicing for so long, and the same song has reportedly been sung in years past?

The school board is backing her up too, but for different reasons. Department of Education spokeswoman Jessica Scaperotti told the paper the lyrics are too grown up” for 5-year-olds. You can read the lyrics of the song here, but there's nothing in there that kindergartners shouldn't hear. The refrain:

And I'm proud to be an American
Where at least I know I'm free
And I won't forget the men who died
Who gave that right to me

And I gladly stand up next to you
And defend her still today
'Cause there ain't no doubt I love this land
God Bless the U.S.A.

The outrageous topper to this whole maddening case: They will be allowed to sing Justin Bieber's hit "Baby", which contains lines like: "Are we an item? Girl, quit playing.” You tell me which song you'd rather have your kindergartner sing.

Do you think children should be banned from singing "God Bless the USA" in school?

by on Jun. 11, 2012 at 11:08 AM
Replies (81-90):
Spfldmomof2
by Kimberly on Jun. 11, 2012 at 10:17 PM
Quoting Arroree:

Thanks, wasn't too sure about that. I knew Britain was different.
lga1965
by on Jun. 11, 2012 at 10:26 PM

Quoting JamesMom714:

I think people need to remove the large sticks from their asses...

That is disgusting.   throwing up

wenchmommy381
by Wenchy on Jun. 11, 2012 at 10:34 PM

I have to respectfully insist that it has always been part of the curriculum. It is a public building, funded and governed by local governments. That is why religious schools have been maligned; they would teach students religion instead of learning about the state. Like it or not, the public school is indeed an agency of the government, with a goal of teaching students to be active and effective citizens of that same state. 

Quoting muslimahpj:

When has that ever been part of the curriculum?

Im sorry, but that is not the job of the school.

Quoting wenchmommy381:

Somewhere along the way, this public school administrator forgot that one of the most important aspects of the public school is to instill a sense of patriotism and civic duty in her students.

That being said, there are much better songs than that melodramatic crapola.

Knowledge is Power

Smart Chicks (a debate forum)
      www.cafemom.com/group/smartchicks2

muslimahpj
by Ruby Member on Jun. 11, 2012 at 10:50 PM
1 mom liked this

You can insist all you want, doesnt make it right. Yes, it is a public building funded by the govt, lots of buildings and entities are, but, they dont try to spoonfeed patriotism in you.

The goal is an education so that, hopefully, one day, they will be productive members to society, not blind patriots who will blindly follow what the govt says to do to.

How exactly does one learn to be a patriot, or better yet, how does one teach someone else to feel patriotic?

Quoting wenchmommy381:

I have to respectfully insist that it has always been part of the curriculum. It is a public building, funded and governed by local governments. That is why religious schools have been maligned; they would teach students religion instead of learning about the state. Like it or not, the public school is indeed an agency of the government, with a goal of teaching students to be active and effective citizens of that same state. 

Quoting muslimahpj:

Quoting wenchmommy381:

Somewhere along the way, this public school administrator forgot that one of the most important aspects of the public school is to instill a sense of patriotism and civic duty in her students.

Raintree
by Ruby Member on Jun. 11, 2012 at 10:59 PM

See, Poodles?

It's all in one big package now- according to people like grandmab. Not a lot of thinking patriotism required.

Quoting grandmab125:

Quoting Raintree:

God and patriotism are one and the same for a lot of people. I think it might be one of the reasons why we are so easily led into things like war. Key words being 'easily led'. The teaching of 'patriotism' or 'americanism' are tools, used for a purpose.

Quoting toomanypoodles:

Wow...how sad that we've come to this. 

No more God, no more patriotism.....

If you're unAmerican and unpatriotic, maybe you should just move the hell somewhere else. People risk their lives every day to get to this country for the freedoms and chance for a better life.

wenchmommy381
by Wenchy on Jun. 11, 2012 at 11:00 PM

I wouldn't say it's part of the curriculum; rather, it's a facet of school culture. Where does one learn the Pledge of Allegiance or the National Anthem? Where does one learn the structure of the government? Where does one find Key Club and Model UN and Mock Trial organizations? In schools-- public and private have the same obligation to their students. Patriotism is not blind at all-- in fact, it relies upon an educated constituency. 

As I was saying... schools seem to have forgotten this is part of their culture. Why else would people have room to complain about how the average American would not be able to pass a Citizenship test? 

Quoting muslimahpj:

You can insist all you want, doesnt make it right. Yes, it is a public building funded by the govt, lots of buildings and entities are, but, they dont try to spoonfeed patriotism in you.

The goal is an education so that, hopefully, one day, they will be productive members to society, not blind patriots who will blindly follow what the govt says to do to.

How exactly does one learn to be a patriot, or better yet, how does one teach someone else to feel patriotic?

Quoting wenchmommy381:

Quoting muslimahpj:

Quoting wenchmommy381:

Knowledge is Power

Smart Chicks (a debate forum)
      www.cafemom.com/group/smartchicks2

Raintree
by Ruby Member on Jun. 11, 2012 at 11:03 PM

Civil Religion on CM, available for observation. Look at the religious language in this post. "Praises" "Ritual"

How about the schools teaching an honest view of history, instead of this propaganda? That'd be refreshing- although not entirely praise-worthy in retrospect. But honesty has it's plus side. We need to remember that.

Quoting grandmab125:

There is a lot more to this story.  Check out the article in the New York Post.  Most of the parents were in an uproar over this, and wanted it included.  One parent commented that so many of them have come here from foreign countries, risking their lives to get here, and they are proud to sing the praises of being an American.

Then it talked about what the spokeswoman for the Dept of Education (not sure if it was city or state) said about the Principle.  Apparently she is a Jehovah's Witness, who doesn't recite pledge, salute flag, etc., which of course is her right.  But other teachers complained that she doesn't even stand in respect during school wide ritual, which they find disrespectful to all in attendance.

DOE reprimanded the principal in 2010 after teachers complained she called the school "racist" and declared "I am black, your previous principal was white and Jewish.  More of us are coming".  DOE spokeswoman said the principal is being targeted by the teachers union.

It sounds to me like she is just looking to cause trouble, and doesn't want to get along with anyone.  I think she made a big deal out of this whole thing on purpose.

Raintree
by Ruby Member on Jun. 11, 2012 at 11:04 PM

For what purpose was the pledge of allegiance written?

Quoting wenchmommy381:

I wouldn't say it's part of the curriculum; rather, it's a facet of school culture. Where does one learn the Pledge of Allegiance or the National Anthem? Where does one learn the structure of the government? Where does one find Key Club and Model UN and Mock Trial organizations? In schools-- public and private have the same obligation to their students. Patriotism is not blind at all-- in fact, it relies upon an educated constituency. 

As I was saying... schools seem to have forgotten this is part of their culture. Why else would people have room to complain about how the average American would not be able to pass a Citizenship test? 

Quoting muslimahpj:

Quoting wenchmommy381:

Quoting muslimahpj:

Quoting wenchmommy381:

grandmab125
by Gold Member on Jun. 11, 2012 at 11:16 PM

Quoting wenchmommy381:

Quoting muslimahpj:

Quoting wenchmommy381:

Quoting muslimahpj:

Quoting wenchmommy381:

You are so right.  The kids graduating for the last 10-15 years are completely ignorant about our history, civics, math and science.  I really don't know what they do teach these days.  There is a quote that goes something like "those who do not know their history are doomed to repeat it".

This is just one more example of "politically correct" thinking on a lot of the posters' ways of thinking run amok.  I, as another poster has already said, am sick of being told we can't do this or say this, because it will offend someone.  Grow up people, and get over yourselves....there are other people in this country who think differently than you do, and they have every right to.

Instead of just criticizing my comments that you don't agree with, take note of the post I made in regards to the New York Post article.  This principal is already been in a lot of trouble with the Board of Education, and the teachers' union is after her too.  I'm sure they are all looking for a way to fire her, and it's not just over this incident.

grandma B

juju40
by Bronze Member on Jun. 11, 2012 at 11:24 PM

what are they not proud to be American....those people on BOE are a bunch of morons

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)