Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

What are your thoughts on Plural Marriage?

Posted by   + Show Post

Poll

Question: What is your thought on Plural marraige? (One man, mulitple wives)

Options:

I believe such lifestyle should not be allowed

I belive in religious freedom

Only group members can vote in this poll.

Total Votes: 90

View Results

I have been watching Sister Wives, a reality(?) show on TLC. The show features and follows a family of 1 husband, 4 wives and 16 chidlren. They are one big happy family. They are Mormons and belong to the Fundalmentalist church who believe in living plural marriage ( 1man, mulitiple wives and hence, many chidlren).

They were run out of their home state for violating Bigamy laws there.

So, I was just wondering, what is your take on this lifestyle? Is it even a lifestyle? or a relgion? Our next president might be a morman- does that have any bearing on your vote/views? Do you think this family (and others like them) have the right to live their life as they see fit? or are they breaking the law and should be prosecuted?

I'd like to hear from you (especially those of you who are living the plural life!) before I add my 2 cents.

by on Jun. 11, 2012 at 6:35 PM
Replies (111-116):
SilverSterling
by MrsSilverusSnape on Jun. 13, 2012 at 7:51 PM
1 mom liked this

I think that people need to stop comparing Plural marriage based on a few nut cases and if your going to judge it do so based on Cody and Sister wives. Its no a perfect plural marriage but its more the normal then the one's on the compounds and such. I don't care if a Man has one wife or many or a wife who has many husbands or if 2 men or 2 woman marry. the definition of marriage is not written in the bible nor should the legal (note i said legal not religious) definition be dictated by the bible. If a person wants a religious then go to a church that will bless it but by law anyone should be allowed the person they love 

Sisteract
by Whoopie on Jun. 13, 2012 at 8:02 PM

Others can do whatever they like. More than 1 husband? No.

If he wants more than 1 wife, he'll have to part with half of his assets-

Not my personal cup-of-tea.

Its.me.Sam.
by Gold Member on Jun. 13, 2012 at 8:04 PM

i think that as long as all parties are adults, informed, and consenting, and able to leave if they wish...then they should go for it and be happy.  its not anyone elses place to tell them how to love other people.

LadyBugMom09
by Silver Member on Jun. 13, 2012 at 8:09 PM
I believe in religious freedom, but I am not in agreement with this lifestyle because of my religious beliefs. Should the government get involved? I would say no. But I do believe that the further and further we move outside of Gods will as a nation, the more problems we will see.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Goodwoman614
by Satan on Jun. 13, 2012 at 8:09 PM
Misogynistic.
Ms.KitKat
by Platinum Member on Jun. 13, 2012 at 8:26 PM

According to the Mormon Fundamentalist church plural marriage IS God's will. That's the thing- what business does the gov't have sticking it's nose into a religious practice. There is that funny little thing about the seperation of Church and State and one of the the founding reasons why this great nation is great- religious freedom.

And who are any of us to say one religion is inferior/superior to another religion ??? Or because YOUR religion is not MY religion then you can't believe that way? Where is the freedom in that?????

Quoting LadyBugMom09:

I believe in religious freedom, but I am not in agreement with this lifestyle because of my religious beliefs. Should the government get involved? I would say no. But I do believe that the further and further we move outside of Gods will as a nation, the more problems we will see.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN