Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

What are your thoughts on Plural Marriage?

Posted by   + Show Post

Poll

Question: What is your thought on Plural marraige? (One man, mulitple wives)

Options:

I believe such lifestyle should not be allowed

I belive in religious freedom

Only group members can vote in this poll.

Total Votes: 90

View Results

I have been watching Sister Wives, a reality(?) show on TLC. The show features and follows a family of 1 husband, 4 wives and 16 chidlren. They are one big happy family. They are Mormons and belong to the Fundalmentalist church who believe in living plural marriage ( 1man, mulitiple wives and hence, many chidlren).

They were run out of their home state for violating Bigamy laws there.

So, I was just wondering, what is your take on this lifestyle? Is it even a lifestyle? or a relgion? Our next president might be a morman- does that have any bearing on your vote/views? Do you think this family (and others like them) have the right to live their life as they see fit? or are they breaking the law and should be prosecuted?

I'd like to hear from you (especially those of you who are living the plural life!) before I add my 2 cents.

by on Jun. 11, 2012 at 6:35 PM
Replies (81-90):
GLWerth
by Gina on Jun. 12, 2012 at 11:25 AM

As long as it is a situation where all parties are of legal age and consenting, it is fine. This means, it is not OK to marry a thirteen year old girl off to a 50 year old man who wants another young wife.

ILoveMyFam
by on Jun. 12, 2012 at 11:26 AM

It perplexes me that so many people are against gay marriage but think this is "okay."  Anyway...I think it's ridiculous - those women aren't happy...all the show is about is a bunch of whining about how they are jealous, don't get the attention they need, etc etc.  I feel bad for the kids.  I don't like it but I wouldn't say it should be "prohibited."

illegallyblonde
by Lawyerupbeeches on Jun. 12, 2012 at 11:26 AM
1 mom liked this
I actually don't care. As long as you can afford multiple partners and they are treated equally and fairly, go get them. Many cultures around the world support plural marriage. In fact, I just watched this show called Taboo, the showed a culture in the Himalyans where women had multiple husbands. Hmmmmm

For me, I don't like to share. Lol.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
kailu1835
by Ruby Member on Jun. 12, 2012 at 2:42 PM

That is not biblical.

Quoting toomanypoodles:

Quoting kailu1835:

It became the law of the land BECAUSE of religious persecution.  They did not violate the law of the land by proclaiming the polygamy tenent.  The government violated the constitutional rights of a religious group by making polygamy illegal.  At the time they were made, the law was about squashing religious freedom.

Quoting toomanypoodles:

Not enough options for your poll.  I believe in religious freedom, but the laws are against polygamy. 

Even the Bible tells you to obey the laws of the land. 

One Man, One Woman. 

babiesbabybaby development

OHgirlinCA
by Platinum Member on Jun. 12, 2012 at 2:43 PM

Whatever floats your boat....

Fairegirl33
by Member on Jun. 12, 2012 at 2:45 PM

I think that folks should be allowed to decided on their own...

wickedfiress
by Kellie on Jun. 12, 2012 at 3:23 PM

Quoting ILoveMyFam:

It perplexes me that so many people are against gay marriage but think this is "okay."  Anyway...I think it's ridiculous - those women aren't happy...all the show is about is a bunch of whining about how they are jealous, don't get the attention they need, etc etc.  I feel bad for the kids.  I don't like it but I wouldn't say it should be "prohibited."

There has only be a couple of mentions of jealousy, and they were both in answer to questions directed at them in the interview portions of the show.  I don't see how them being honest that everything isn't peaches and cream every single minute of every single day means they aren't happy. If anything it means they're normal. 

FrogSalad
by Sooze on Jun. 12, 2012 at 5:09 PM

I think Regina did a good job of giving cultural examples.

If polygamy is made legal so will polyandry.  The law won't be constrained to only those within a particular religion.  It will be legal for all or legal for none.

I'm simply asking if this is a religious freedom issue for you, are you going to be accepting of poly-marriages for those outside of your religion and/or gender ratio?

Quoting Ms.KitKat:

I haven't yet "added my 2 cents" on this whole thing and I do belive my vote is done anonymously. I honestly have not heard of one woman, multiple husbands. Could you give me some examples? I'm curious.

Quoting FrogSalad:

Quoting Ms.KitKat:

In the Fundementalist Church, this is not how it works. It is based on a relgious faith/belief. One man, multiple wives.

Quoting FrogSalad:

Sure: one man, multiple wives as long as one woman multiple husbands is ok, too.

As long as no one's being taken advantage of, I really don't care.

My point is that if it's legal one way it has to be legal the other way, too.  Are you ok with other people having multiple husbands?

How paramount the future is to the present when one is surrounded by children.  Charles Darwin

andiemomo3
by Andie on Jun. 12, 2012 at 5:20 PM
You forgot other. I don't think religion has anything to do with it.

I dont care what you do with your personal life. Marry as any people as you like, men or women. I think women should be able to have two husbands if they want to also.

As long as you aren't hurting people and randomly screwing the world up - live your life. I dont want people telling me what I can and can't do in my private world, so I sure am not going to jump into other people's lives.
TruthSeeker.
by Milami on Jun. 12, 2012 at 5:28 PM

First of all, being Mormon does not automatically mean you are a polygamist or you believe in polygamy.

I don't really care who marries who. That family seems to work pretty well together.

I don't think it's a good idea that all of those wives and kids count on one person. What happens if he loses his job or heaven forbid dies? All 20 of them are up the creek.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN