Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Trying to educate myself.

Posted by on Jun. 11, 2012 at 10:26 PM
  • 30 Replies
Tell me good websites/newpapers/magazines/books, anything I can read that will generally help me educate myself. I'm tired of not being intelligent enough to join in conversations
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Jun. 11, 2012 at 10:26 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
little.worthen
by Tess on Jun. 11, 2012 at 10:33 PM
Bump
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
NWP
by guerrilla girl on Jun. 11, 2012 at 10:36 PM
2 moms liked this

Good post! I am curious as to what answers you get, as there always seems to be an argument about sources on here...

The answers are going to depend on which way you lean..

Personally, I read a lot of cnn, bbc, and npr...sometimes huffingtonpost to feed my liberal need...

I would avoid Fox News and Lifesite News like the plague....but others will tell you how uneducated I am for saying that:)

wenchmommy381
by Wenchy on Jun. 11, 2012 at 10:39 PM
2 moms liked this

To start, ANYTHING you read will educate you. But you must do so with a hint of cynicism, so that if there is something that you are uncomfortable with, you can embrace the urge to look more deeply.

I like NPR and BBC news. Most other news outlets seem to have an agenda, and rely on talking heads to "make" the news instead of reporting it. If you are comfortable with your political leanings, you can google "magazines for [Libertarians, Republicans, Democrats, etc.]" and there will be an ample supply.

Tanya93
by on Jun. 11, 2012 at 10:39 PM

the problem is going to be people will tell to you avoid things because they think they are biased one way or the other.

For just getting info, I have always found the BBC and the Christian Science Monitor are good places to read.

Maks1mommy
by on Jun. 11, 2012 at 10:40 PM

I don't understand. Smart enough for convs on here or life in general?

Carpy
by Ruby Member on Jun. 11, 2012 at 10:40 PM

Drudge report

singletiredmom
by Member on Jun. 11, 2012 at 10:41 PM
I agree with this.... FOX, yuck!!!

Quoting NWP:

Good post! I am curious as to what answers you get, as there always seems to be an argument about sources on here...

Personally, I read a lot of cnn, bbc, and npr...sometimes huffingtonpost to feed my liberal need...

I would avoid Fox News and Lifesite News like the plague....but others will tell you how uneducated I am for saying that:)

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Carpy
by Ruby Member on Jun. 11, 2012 at 10:41 PM

We do notice that you don't watch FOX

Quoting NWP:

Carpy
by Ruby Member on Jun. 11, 2012 at 10:44 PM

Here is a good site that doesn't show political favortism

http://www.realclearpolitics.com/

little.worthen
by Tess on Jun. 11, 2012 at 10:45 PM
1 mom liked this
Haha my husband told me the EXACT opposite lol

Quoting NWP:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN