Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics
Tell me good websites/newpapers/magazines/books, anything I can read that will generally help me educate myself. I'm tired of not being intelligent enough to join in conversations
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Jun. 11, 2012 at 10:26 PM
Replies (11-20):
little.worthen
by Tess on Jun. 11, 2012 at 10:46 PM
Either

Quoting Maks1mommy:

I don't understand. Smart enough for convs on here or life in general?

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Maks1mommy
by on Jun. 11, 2012 at 10:48 PM

Quoting little.worthen:

Either

Quoting Maks1mommy:

Why don't you feel smart enough? Sorry for the third degree. This post just really got to me, on a personal level...

katy_kay08
by on Jun. 11, 2012 at 10:49 PM

I'm a fan of Christian Science Monitor as well as the Guardian (UK) and Politifact.com 

katy_kay08
by on Jun. 11, 2012 at 10:52 PM

As for trying to just get an overall education on current events you may want to subscribe to your local paper and set time aside to just read through it.   As you read through if things strike you as interesting or you want more information you can then research those things online.  

Toolfan1
by New Member on Jun. 11, 2012 at 11:14 PM

I like NPR and Salon. Salon definitely portrays a leftist agenda, if you're into that kind of thing. CNN is also a classic go-to. 

Suzy_Sunshine
by Silver Member on Jun. 11, 2012 at 11:17 PM

I think that npr is a great way to expose yourself to quality information about a variety of topics. It is always interesting and quite informative.

cammibear
by Gold Member on Jun. 11, 2012 at 11:19 PM
I would say Drudge too.

I like reading news from other countries and I subscribe to different news feeds that have different political ideologies than I have just for a different perspective. Some are hard to stomach though. lol
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
little.worthen
by Tess on Jun. 11, 2012 at 11:20 PM
I just feel like a lot of times I don't have a lot to contribute so I'm kinda an outcast

Quoting Maks1mommy:

Quoting little.worthen:

Either

Quoting Maks1mommy:

Why don't you feel smart enough? Sorry for the third degree. This post just really got to me, on a personal level...

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
grandmab125
by Gold Member on Jun. 11, 2012 at 11:27 PM
1 mom liked this

Please don't feel like you can't contribute something.  I'm sure you have lots of good ideas or thoughts to contribute.  There are topics I just skip, because I really can't relate to them, or I don't kow anything about the subject.  You can always "google" the subject, and check a few of the sites that are listed, like newspapers, or organizations, or news stations, to see what they each say, then form your own opinion.

NWP
by guerrilla girl on Jun. 11, 2012 at 11:29 PM
1 mom liked this

Carpy, that might be the nicest thing you have ever said to me:)

Quoting Carpy:

We do notice that you don't watch FOX

Quoting NWP:

Good post! I am curious as to what answers you get, as there always seems to be an argument about sources on here...

The answers are going to depend on which way you lean..

Personally, I read a lot of cnn, bbc, and npr...sometimes huffingtonpost to feed my liberal need...

I would avoid Fox News and Lifesite News like the plague....but others will tell you how uneducated I am for saying that:)

National Woman's Party

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN