Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

My baby has to get glasses.

Posted by on Jun. 11, 2012 at 11:03 PM
  • 24 Replies

My son has to have dental surgery in a couple of weeks so I took him into the doc for his pre-op physical this morning and he was have a hard time telling her the letters on the chart, so afterward, I went around the corner to the eye doc and got him checked out.. poor kiddo is like every other member of my family (except husband and daughter) and needs glasses. They'll be here in about a week. 

All the problems he had at school, you'd have thought someone may have picked up the kid may just not be able to see? I had his eyes checked last year at his routine exam and all seemed well, but he's got astigmatism and will have to wear his glasses always.  Glad we got this worked out now, so that he has all summer to get used to wearing them instead of just a few days before school starts again. (His bday, and yearly check up is in August)

He picked out these cute blue, Spongebob on the sides, frames. Got a second pair free, so he picked the same ones in brown. LOL 

It's amazing how people don't hold themselves to the standards they set for others.

by on Jun. 11, 2012 at 11:03 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
wenchmommy381
by Wenchy on Jun. 11, 2012 at 11:08 PM

My oldest son is on his second pair. He loves them, but often forgets to wear them in class. Be sure to let his teacher know about them, especially if he doesn't have to wear them all the time.

stacymomof2
by Ruby Member on Jun. 11, 2012 at 11:31 PM

Awe those are cute glasses!  He looks adorable.  He will get the habit of wearing them, especially as he will see better.

My youngest is quite far sighted and had to get glasses at 2 years old.  She doesn't remember ever not having glasses, so she hates going without them.  

Peanutx3
by Ruby Member on Jun. 11, 2012 at 11:33 PM

What a handsome young man.

wickedfiress
by Kellie on Jun. 11, 2012 at 11:35 PM

He seems excited about them so far. He was a bit upset he didn't get to wear them home today.

I too feel naked with out my glasses on... but I got contacts again today, and it's been driving me nuts all day that I keep feeling like I've forgotten something. My lenses are being replaced in my frames.  

wickedfiress
by Kellie on Jun. 11, 2012 at 11:35 PM

Quoting Peanutx3:

What a handsome young man.

Thank you! I am a little biased and agree with you! lol

It's amazing how people don't hold themselves to the standards they set for others.

NWP
by guerrilla girl on Jun. 11, 2012 at 11:47 PM

What a cutie! I love the missing front teeth:)

grandmab125
by Gold Member on Jun. 11, 2012 at 11:59 PM

Cutie.  Astigmatism is totally different than being near sighted.  Did your dr explain that astigmatism is because the cornea is flattened a little instead of being round?  So even though things are close enough, they are blurry.  So that's probably why no one picked up on it.  I always wondered why when I looked at  a kid down the hallway at school and they waved, why I had no idea who it was.  I couldn't see their faces clearly.  I would see two black holes for eyes...so I would just wave back.  When my mom first took me to the eye dr., he said I had a tremendous amount of astigmatism, but was hardly near sighted at all.  So, for years I got away with only wearing my glasses for reading, tv and driving.

grandmab125
by Gold Member on Jun. 12, 2012 at 12:05 AM

My granddaughter has worn glasses since she was about 18 months or 2 years.  One eye was turning inward.  It wasn't a lazy eye kind of thing....not muscle related.  If I understood it right, it was a problem with one eye is stronger than the other, so the stronger one would turn inward to compensate for the weaker one.  She's going to be 9 this summer and will always need glasses to correct this.  When she is responsible enough to insert contacts and take care of them herself, probably in a couple of years, then she will get them.

wickedfiress
by Kellie on Jun. 12, 2012 at 12:07 AM

Quoting grandmab125:

Cutie.  Astigmatism is totally different than being near sighted.  Did your dr explain that astigmatism is because the cornea is flattened a little instead of being round?  So even though things are close enough, they are blurry.  So that's probably why no one picked up on it.  I always wondered why when I looked at  a kid down the hallway at school and they waved, why I had no idea who it was.  I couldn't see their faces clearly.  I would see two black holes for eyes...so I would just wave back.  When my mom first took me to the eye dr., he said I had a tremendous amount of astigmatism, but was hardly near sighted at all.  So, for years I got away with only wearing my glasses for reading, tv and driving.

I have astigmatism, it's a "football shaped" cornea, not flat. 

joey125
by Silver Member on Jun. 12, 2012 at 12:21 AM

Kids with glasses are  so darn cute.  My nieces wore glasses when they were young as well, now they don't need them ,sometimes that happens, the glasses may actually correct the problem. If not, glasses are great, its so nice to be able to see, I love mine.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN