Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

I'll be honest: my kids are freaking adorable. They're little and sweet, say the darndest things, and are gernerally very well-behaved in public. I get complimented on them all the time, and I try to be gracious about it. 

But I do not post my children online very often. For every 100 pictures I take, I'd be surprised if even one makes it to my facebook page. Maybe I'll post them at the beach, or dancing with me at a party, or in costumes.

I do NOT take and post pictures of my children sleeping, eating, posing together, or doing any other mundane tasks.

So I seem to have a visceral reaction to others when they do that. I get a daily update on my one friend's napping child. DAILY. Pictures of children smiling with 20 comments along the lines of, "ZOMG so freaking cute I want to eat his/her face and slobber all over that cutey cutey babay!!!!!11!!!eleventy!!!" It actually pisses me off... even though I do love children, and am even related to some of them.

Am I alone here? What do you think?

Knowledge is Power

Smart Chicks (a debate forum)
      www.cafemom.com/group/smartchicks2

by on Jun. 11, 2012 at 11:48 PM
Replies (41-47):
NewMama28
by on Jun. 12, 2012 at 9:43 AM
I am on FB mainly to share pics of my kiddo. I have a big family... She's the first baby in the family in... 16 years! I was texting and emailing pics left and right by demand. I finally opened an account in FB so I could load pics in one spot for them to see! I don't post everyday but I do post a pic or video every couple of days on average.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MommaLehr
by Member on Jun. 12, 2012 at 9:51 AM
Total mom confession;
My friends kids are certainly not as squeezingly adorable as mine. And I do get sick of seeing their little mugs doing mundane things on my fb page.
I spam my mom and dads email and text messages with pix, since really they are the only ones who give a $h!t and know my kids irl. Plus the resolution is better so they can print the shots out.
I post only the creme de la creme to fb, maybe one every few weeks, or I post an album of the family vacay. Play dates get posted and tagged with permission of friends. In their own album, and not to my entire viewing audience.
It's not something I really get pissed about, just an eye rolling, oh jeez gotta scroll down. Again.

Didja ever notice tho that the ppl you want to fb stalk never post juicy new tidbits?!?

Quoting wenchmommy381:

Perhaps I wasn't clear...I don't mind that people post these pics. Clearly they are not for me. And I'd never begrudge a person for posting them to share with who are far away. That's why I never comment negatively (maybe others can take a hint, Internet...).

I just have a visceral reaction to the pictures themselves. I just don't think they're cute. Maybe it is just me.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
katy_kay08
by on Jun. 12, 2012 at 10:17 AM

Nah, you aren't alone.  I don't get pissed off by it but I do tend to roll my eyes and then change my subscription settings so I don't see all the stupid crap.  

What I do find weird is how often people will post pictures of their kids in posts here that have nothing to do with children.   Some just need a lot of attention.   

_Bama_
by on Jun. 12, 2012 at 10:20 AM
I think you have a problem with the person posting the pics. I have a person on mine that lives here in my town and our children go to the same school...she gets on my nerves cuz she bragsss about every trip they take...from to a restaurant to Disney world to getting her mani pedi on...I just hid her...its not the things she does its her whole personailty...anyways...use thr hide button.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Euphoric
by Bazinga! on Jun. 12, 2012 at 10:32 AM
1 mom liked this

I love seeing people's pictures of their children. It's so much better than seeing my bil's constant bitching about Obama and black people.

Sillybillymel
by Member on Jun. 13, 2012 at 10:19 AM

I post a ton of pics of my DD. I dont write captions like that. Usually it is like were at the beach.

lga1965
by on Jun. 13, 2012 at 11:07 AM

I agree---moderation is key to everything. I think that too many Moms see themselves as Moms first, wives second and individuals third... and they go overboard proving that they are #1 Moms with #1 kids. Its way overdone.

Post a few nice photos and be done with it.

And comments sound better if they are just "Cute photo". None of that "they are so cute I just want to eat them up" etc. which is really quite fakey and insincere,IMO.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)