Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Would you expect your child's school to notify you?

Posted by on Jun. 12, 2012 at 8:38 AM
  • 88 Replies

I was watching the news this morning and they reported that a man has been seen wandering around multiple elementary schools in our district.  He has been stopped by staff and questioned but the police have not spoken with him.  

Our district has not sent any type of notification home about these incidents and the first I heard about it was this morning when watching the news.  

Would you expect the district to alert you?  

by on Jun. 12, 2012 at 8:38 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
punky3175
by on Jun. 12, 2012 at 8:44 AM
7 moms liked this

I would expect the district to notify me and I'd be highly upset that they hadn't.

Peanutx3
by Ruby Member on Jun. 12, 2012 at 8:46 AM
Yep

Quoting punky3175:

I would expect the district to notify me and I'd be highly upset that they hadn't.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
lovinlife0607
by on Jun. 12, 2012 at 8:47 AM

well yeah in our old district thet did.  They sent emails to parents that there was a "suspicious person" around the school and the school was locked.  However, in our new district that would not happen.  There are over 11,000 students in the district and well there's just too many for the staff or administration to look after... :(

romalove
by Roma on Jun. 12, 2012 at 8:48 AM
1 mom liked this

Oh yes.  How can you take precautions if they don't advise you there is a potential problem?

I bet they didn't because they are afraid if they notify and then something happens they can be sued for not doing enough to prevent the problem, because they would have been on "notice" that there was an issue.

Everything is about lawsuits.

wenchmommy381
by Wenchy on Jun. 12, 2012 at 8:49 AM
I expect my school system to inform me of credible threats and ensure my children's safety.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Lunarprancer
by Silver Member on Jun. 12, 2012 at 9:05 AM
Yes I would.
colins_mom
by Silver Member on Jun. 12, 2012 at 9:16 AM
Yes I would
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
katy_kay08
by on Jun. 12, 2012 at 9:21 AM

the guy has been seen in nursing homes around town as well.  This just makes me feel uneasy.  Especially after what happened last night.  

cupomeow
by Member on Jun. 12, 2012 at 10:43 AM

Yes. Especially since so many kids walk to school. I remember one afternoon I went to pick up at school and the staff was keeping the kids inside the building until a parent was right at the door to get their child/children. It turns out that they had received a call informing them that there was a pedophile in the area around the school. Scary. The school district should have informed you. I would be pissed.

la_bella_vita
by Bella on Jun. 12, 2012 at 10:49 AM

Yes, I would

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)