Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

More Oil Than The Rest Of The World Combined....Here in the US?!

Posted by on Jun. 12, 2012 at 10:13 AM
  • 276 Replies
1 mom liked this

I haven't been on CM much until recently, so I don't know if this has been discussed, but the "reneging of federal land for public use" thread reminded me of this quickly buried by the liberal media report posted by Investors Business Daily, that the Green River Formation located in Colorado, Utah and Wyoming contains a shale deposit believed to contain more oil than the rest of the world combined...but the big caveat is it's on *gasp* "PROTECTED FEDERAL LAND!"

According to the General Accounting Office (GAO) it has a value of $16 TRILLION!!   Hmmm....what is our current national debt?  Oh yes....$16 TRILLION!!

http://news.investors.com/article/611380/201205141900/green-river-equal-to-worlds-oil-reserves-.htm?p=full

"Exploding the Big Lie pushed by President Obama that we can't drill our way out of high gas prices because we have but 2% of the world's proven oil reserves, Anu Mittal, GAO director of natural resources and environment, testified before Congress last week that just one small part of the U.S. is capable of outproducing the rest of the planet."

"Given that current U.S. daily oil consumption is running at 19.5 million barrels, the staggering amount of Green River reserves would by itself supply domestic oil consumption for more than 200 years."

As we've also noted, the Environmental Protection Agency, in response to environmental groups, tried to manufacture a crisis in which hydraulic fracturing, or fracking, was said to have contaminated test wells in Pavillion, Wyo. Those claims and others made in the six-decade history of the technology have proved groundless.

The nation that put men on the moon because it wanted to could be energy-independent in the lifetime of most of its citizens. The choice in November will be between that future and one that consists of harvesting algae and driving electric cars that explode.

So, environmentalists....what's it gonna be? 

Extracting this oil deposit so we can eliminate a HUGE chunk of our national debt, put literally millions of people back to work AND allow us you to live with endless feel good policies and programs?!

OR do you wish to fight it, block it, and keep our country spiraling downhill in order to save some woodland critters, guppies, and indigenous plants?!  The choice is yours!

Lest we not forget, mining for oil here in our own country, means (for liberals anyway) that we will no longer be involved in "blood for oil" wars!!  And while we're using our own oil environmentalists can continue to dream of alternative fuel sources that are actually feasible.  Meaning we could save countless American lives, and perhaps reduce our military and our defense budget!!

by on Jun. 12, 2012 at 10:13 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
CrazyLife1996
by on Jun. 12, 2012 at 10:20 AM
4 moms liked this
IMO it is common sense to use our own resources. Unfortunately not everyone has common sense.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
LoriKeet
by on Jun. 12, 2012 at 10:22 AM

Yup!  I'm curious to see just how many liberals on here will respond to this thread...if at all!  :o)

Quoting CrazyLife1996:

IMO it is common sense to use our own resources. Unfortunately not everyone has common sense.

Roxygurl
by Bronze Member on Jun. 12, 2012 at 10:24 AM
5 moms liked this
The reason we don't use up all our oil is because if we do then we will eventually be at the mercy of other countries. If we bitch about gas now wait another 30 years when we've depleted all of our oil and have to rely soley on middle eastern countries

Basically when all the oil in the world is almost gone we want to be the ones on top.

Btw I'm a Texan, I've got oil in my blood. They've found oil on my families land and I don't affiliate with any political party.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
CrazyLife1996
by on Jun. 12, 2012 at 10:24 AM
It definitely will be interesting.

Quoting LoriKeet:

Yup!  I'm curious to see just how many liberals on here will respond to this thread...if at all!  :o)

Quoting CrazyLife1996:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
LoriKeet
by on Jun. 12, 2012 at 10:27 AM
1 mom liked this

You obviously didn't read what I posted, did you?!

Quoting Roxygurl:

The reason we don't use up all our oil is because if we do then we will eventually be at the mercy of other countries. If we bitch about gas now wait another 30 years when we've depleted all of our oil and have to rely soley on middle eastern countries

Roxygurl
by Bronze Member on Jun. 12, 2012 at 10:32 AM
3 moms liked this
Sweetheart I'm a Texan, I'm married to an oil field worker who works in the gulf of Mexico, I grew up around oil derricks.

You're article is too simplistic and doesn't look at the long term impact, I was beig sarcastic about 30 years though. It will be longer than that but eventually the oil will run out.

Quoting LoriKeet:

You obviously didn't read what I posted, did you?!

Quoting Roxygurl:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
jewjewbee
by on Jun. 12, 2012 at 10:44 AM
1 mom liked this
yup. imagine that. some conservatives have been saying this for years...ahem...
anywhooo when the US oil and gas industry employs 9.2 million people and pays $86M in US TAX EVERYDAY,and the current POS44 wants to destroy it?--there's a problem in the WH.
jewjewbee
by on Jun. 12, 2012 at 10:46 AM
2 moms liked this
Quoting Roxygurl:

Actually, the Earth makes oil and Natural Gas everyday. Yup, how do you think it got there to begin with? LOL
If your husband was one of the Geophysicists and not an oil rig worker you guys would know that.
Roxygurl
by Bronze Member on Jun. 12, 2012 at 10:51 AM
8 moms liked this
Fossil fuels are fuels formed by natural processes such as anaerobic decomposition of buried dead organisms. The age of the organisms and their resulting fossil fuels is typically millions of years, and sometimes exceeds 650 million years.[1] Fossil fuels contain high percentages of carbon and include coal, petroleum, and natural gas.[2] They range from volatile materials with low carbon:hydrogen ratios like methane, to liquid petroleum to nonvolatile materials composed of almost pure carbon, like anthracite coal. Methane can be found in hydrocarbon fields, alone, associated with oil, or in the form of methane clathrates. Fossil fuels formed from the fossilized remains of dead plants[3] by exposure to heat and pressure in the Earth's crust over millions of years.[4] This biogenic theory was first introduced by Georg Agricola in 1556 and later by Mikhail Lomonosov in the 18th century.

It was estimated by the Energy Information Administration that in 2007 primary sources of energy consisted of petroleum 36.0%, coal 27.4%, natural gas 23.0%, amounting to an 86.4% share for fossil fuels in primary energy consumption in the world.[5] Non-fossil sources in 2006 included hydroelectric 6.3%, nuclear 8.5%, and others (geothermal, solar, tidal, wind, wood, waste) amounting to 0.9%.[6] World energy consumption was growing about 2.3% per year.

Fossil fuels are non-renewable resources because they take millions of years to form, and reserves are being depleted much faster than new ones are being made. The production and use of fossil fuels raise environmental concerns. A global movement toward the generation of renewable energy is therefore under way to help meet increased energy needs.

Fossil fuels are NONRENEWABLE

Quoting jewjewbee:

Quoting Roxygurl:

Actually, the Earth makes oil and Natural Gas everyday. Yup, how do you think it got there to begin with? LOL

If your husband was one of the Geophysicists and not an oil rig worker you guys would know that.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
jewjewbee
by on Jun. 12, 2012 at 10:52 AM
1 mom liked this
Quoting Roxygurl:

ok then....if he's an engineer than he knows the Earth makes it everyday.
oh my....
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured