Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Why does the income level keep dropping for what the administration thinks is rich?

Posted by on Jun. 12, 2012 at 3:51 PM
  • 23 Replies

Seriously?   200k is now rich?  Yes, it is a lot more than millions and millions make.   But really?   200K is now rich and they need to pay even more in taxes?

Dems call for fresh message, warn of 'impossible headwind'

President Barack Obama and his party may face an “impossible headwind in November” unless it shifts to a more forward-looking economic message aimed squarely at the middle class, three Democratic strategists warn in a memo out this week.

Pollsters Stan Greenberg and Erica Seifert, of Greenberg Quinlan Rosner, and Democratic strategist James Carville write in a research document for Democracy Corps that their party’s current frame for the 2012 race is not effective. Based on focus groups in Ohio and Pennsylvania, the strategists argue that voters are simply not convinced that the economy is on the move and it’s a mistake to try and tell them otherwise.

“These voters are not convinced that we are headed in the right direction. They are living in a new economy – and there is no conceivable recovery in the year ahead that will change the view of the new state of the country. They actually have a very realistic view of the long road back and the struggles of the middle class — and the current narrative about progress just misses the opportunity to connect and point forward,” they write. “While we hear some optimism, this is framed mostly by the sense that this has to be rock bottom.”

Obama manages to keep the race competitive because Mitt Romney is so distrusted by voters, the strategists contend. But if Obama is going to gain traction in the campaign, they continue, he needs to deploy a message “with minimal discussion of the recovery and jobs created and maximal empathy for the challenges people face.”

“Most voters identified with the line that ‘the middle class has taken it on the chin for years.’ The message turns mid-way to what we will do, beginning with raising taxes on those earning over $200,000 to make the economy work better for the middle class,” the memo continues. “It taps into their frustrations that began building before the recession even hit and recognizes that this election needs to be about the ‘future of the middle class.’”

The notion that Democrats need a clearer agenda for the future and a more sharply defined sales pitch for the middle class is not a new one; Greenberg in particular has argued for years that his party does best when it embraces more progressive rhetoric about fairness and the economy.

But the central idea in the Democracy Corps memo – that a 2012 argument based on telling voters that things are getting better – is one that a range of Democrats find persuasive, especially as the Obama campaign faces the prospect of weak monthly unemployment reports throughout the summer. The message proposed by the Democracy Corps strategists isn’t the only possible solution, but it’s one option for a party in search of a clearer strategy.

http://www.politico.com/blogs/burns-haberman/2012/06/dems-call-for-fresh-message-warn-of-impossible-headwind-125911.html

by on Jun. 12, 2012 at 3:51 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
UpSheRises
by Platinum Member on Jun. 12, 2012 at 4:34 PM
2 moms liked this

I think if you make over 5 times the media house hold income you should consider yourself wealthy.

$200K+ is still only like 1.5% of the families in the nation...it's not like families all over the country would be impacted by a 3% tax increase AND it's not like a 3% tax hike would significantly impact the finances of anyone making 5X's the median household income.

Tanya93
by on Jun. 12, 2012 at 4:37 PM
3 moms liked this

Depending on where you live, it totally can.

Quoting UpSheRises:

I think if you make over 5 times the media house hold income you should consider yourself wealthy.

$200K+ is still only like 1.5% of the families in the nation...it's not like families all over the country would be impacted by a 3% tax increase AND it's not like a 3% tax hike would significantly impact the finances of anyone making 5X's the median household income.

JakeandEmmasMom
by Platinum Member on Jun. 12, 2012 at 4:41 PM
1 mom liked this

You would think that with the value of the dollar declining it would be opposite.

Naturewoman4
by Platinum Member on Jun. 12, 2012 at 4:57 PM

Is the median household income in America around 50K?  That's true though, that those that make say over 200K, 3% won't affect them much.  It's when they tax the middle class.  Earners of 200K & up, TO ME, seem pretty good.  Even if 'wealthy' is considered to be twice as high as the median income in this Country, seems like alot to me.  Income close to 100K, heck seems alot!  I like the good ole days, when I was raising my kids.  We made it just fine, on a Salary of around $50K & I didn't have to work. 

Quoting UpSheRises:

momtoscott
by Platinum Member on Jun. 12, 2012 at 5:23 PM
1 mom liked this

It's just marginal anyway, isn't it?  Just extra on the amount over $200K?  I don't have a problem with it, even though my household would be affected.  They are just not going to be able to balance the budget with spending cuts alone; revenues have to increase. 

We are not "rich" for our general area--we live within a few miles of some of the richest zip codes in the country--but I'm grinning a little that we'll probably make it into the top tax bracket next year! 

Sisteract
by Whoopie on Jun. 12, 2012 at 5:28 PM
Because billionaires and mega millionaires are a loophole protected and entitled group....the $ needs to come from somewhere. Voila
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Euphoric
by Bazinga! on Jun. 12, 2012 at 5:36 PM

Oh to make 200,000 a year. $$$$$$$$$$$

erika9009
by Bronze Member on Jun. 12, 2012 at 5:36 PM
1 mom liked this

maybe if you take that for your area.  A $400,000 house out here in San Jose area will buy you an 1100 sq ft shack.  In Texas, it would buy you a nice big 4000 sq ft house with a cute neighborhood pool boy.

You'd be comfortable around here at $200,000 yr.  Not rich comparatively for the many things I have seen around here. 

Quoting UpSheRises:

Erika..

Children are a blessing and are never inconvenient.............

OHgirlinCA
by Platinum Member on Jun. 12, 2012 at 5:38 PM

It depends on where you live.  In the area I work the median household income is $102,000.  The price of housing is incredibly high.  The median house value is $691,400.  It's why I live 28 miles away :(

Quoting UpSheRises:

erika9009
by Bronze Member on Jun. 12, 2012 at 5:40 PM
1 mom liked this

Quoting UpSheRises:

Oh lets not forget Govenor Jerry Brown wanting to also increase the state income tax by 3% on the "rich".

This class warefare crap is just that, crap.  It won't fix the problem of debt.  Just do the math.  If you buy into it, you're being a political pawn.

Erika..

Children are a blessing and are never inconvenient.............

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN