Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Creepy Stranger in Barnes and Noble . . . Not.

Posted by on Jun. 12, 2012 at 4:58 PM
  • 25 Replies
I don't know if this story was posted or not. I saw it in my news feed yesterday I thought it was very interesting. This story differs from the story I read yesterday. This particular story says that last week Barnes and Noble felt apparently justified in what their employee had done. This week, they have changed their story. Are they changing their ideas on the doctor being asked to leave their store because he is a doctor? Or are they changing their stance because they (Barnes and Noble) realize that asking a customer to leave a store simply because another customer finds them odd is wrong? In another article I read, I might add, the employee told the doctor that he was being asked to leave the store because "men are not allowed to shop in the children's section alone".

My husband's only question was this "So, what, I can't go book shopping for the kids by myself anymore?"

1:43 pm 103° June 12, 2012 |
VALLEY & STATE
Type Size: A A APrintEmailMost Popular
Barnes & Noble apologizes to Scottsdale man forced to leave children's section
56 comments by Peter Corbett - Jun. 4, 2012 09:57 PM
The Republic | azcentral.com

A Barnes & Noble executive apologized Monday to a Scottsdale man who was forced to leave the bookstore's children's section because he was not with any children.

Omar Amin, 73, said the incident occurred one month ago when he was shopping for books for his grandchildren at the Barnes & Noble store at Shea Boulevard and Loop 101 in Scottsdale.

Scottsdale man accuses Barnes & Noble of sex bias

Amin is director of the Parasitology Center Inc. in Scottsdale and an expert in infectious disease.

Mark Bottini, Barnes & Noble vice president and director of stores, issued this statement:

"We want to apologize to Dr. Amin for a situation in which Dr. Amin was asked to leave the children's section of our Scottsdale, Arizona store. We should not have done so. It is not our policy to ask customers to leave any section of our stores without justification."

The statement added, "We value Dr. Amin as a customer and look forward to welcoming him in any of our stores."

The statement was released on Monday after an article appeared in The Arizona Republic and on azcentral.com about the incident involving Amin and store employee Todd Voris.

The company previously declined to comment when contacted by The Republic.

Amin said Voris made him leave the children's area after a complaint from another customer.

Last week, Barnes & Noble issued a statement that it had "acted appropriately" in removing Amin from the children's section.

Amin said Monday that he accepts the apology from Bottini but still wants a face-to-face apology in the store from Voris and a copy of a reprimand letter to the employee.

Barnes & Noble had no other comment about the incident.

by on Jun. 12, 2012 at 4:58 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Veni.Vidi.Vici.
by on Jun. 12, 2012 at 5:02 PM

Someone posted this a couple of weeks ago. I don't know how many replies it got.

andiemomo3
by Andie on Jun. 12, 2012 at 5:05 PM
1 mom liked this
Quoting Veni.Vidi.Vici.:

Someone posted this a couple of weeks ago. I don't know how many replies it got.

Oh well. I was on the beach. I guess I just saw the story because it's popping back up in thenewsfor some reason. I'm usually about a day late and a dollar short. :-)
ihave1
by Member on Jun. 12, 2012 at 5:07 PM
1 mom liked this

It wasnt because he was a man, & alone. Its because he is (or looks, by his name) Arabic.  Thats why he was asked to leave.  If they ever do that my DH they will be getting the shit sued out of them.

andiemomo3
by Andie on Jun. 12, 2012 at 5:11 PM
Quoting ihave1:

It wasnt because he was a man, & alone. Its because he is (or looks, by his name) Arabic.  Thats why he was asked to leave.  If they ever do that my DH they will be getting the shit sued out of them.

I'm sure that's part of the reason. It's just never mentioned in the article. All that is ever talked about is the fact that he was a man who made the other customer feel uncomfortable. It doesn't give a specific reason. Race is technically never mentioned in any of what I've read. I would love to hear from the initial customer who complained and why she complained. I would also love to hear from the employee that screwed up. And to why they felt compelled to ask the doctor to leave.
ihave1
by Member on Jun. 12, 2012 at 5:22 PM

Quoting andiemomo3:

Quoting ihave1:

I'm sure that's part of the reason. It's just never mentioned in the article. All that is ever talked about is the fact that he was a man who made the other customer feel uncomfortable. It doesn't give a specific reason. Race is technically never mentioned in any of what I've read. I would love to hear from the initial customer who complained and why she complained. I would also love to hear from the employee that screwed up. And to why they felt compelled to ask the doctor to leave.

Im not sure what being a doctor has to do w/ it..  (not bashing you)  I think he could have been  staring at the kids.  I dont know  I would like to know what the customers where thinking too.

andiemomo3
by Andie on Jun. 12, 2012 at 5:29 PM
Quoting ihave1:

I just called him the doctor for lack of a better name. So as not to confuse him with the other customer, the one that complained against him.

And, Barnes and Noble might only be apologizing now because he is such a renowned doctor. They stood by their decision at first, where they kicked him out. Now they are apologizing for kicking him out of the store. I wonder what changed? No lawsuit was mentioned.
Euphoric
by Bazinga! on Jun. 12, 2012 at 5:33 PM
1 mom liked this

It was posted awhile back, but I don't think it got many responses.

raegan1221
by on Jun. 12, 2012 at 5:35 PM

That is so wrong. Do you think apart of them apologizing has to do with the fact he's a dr and sounds kind of prominant in the area? I think it's wrong but here it's like dr's walk on water. To me, they're just another person.

andiemomo3
by Andie on Jun. 12, 2012 at 5:38 PM
Quoting raegan1221:

That is so wrong. Do you think apart of them apologizing has to do with the fact he's a dr and sounds kind of prominant in the area? I think it's wrong but here it's like dr's walk on water. To me, they're just another person.

Yes.
emelymac
by Member on Jun. 12, 2012 at 5:45 PM

I used to work in the kids department at Barnes and Noble. There's no reason why he should have been asked to leave unless he was doing something weird. If he was just looking around then he had every right to be there.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN