Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

S/O Georgia official; KKK won't be Allowed to 'adopt' highway

Posted by on Jun. 12, 2012 at 5:30 PM
  • 66 Replies

Georgia official: KKK won't be allowed to 'adopt' highway

Posted: Jun 12, 2012 4:31 PM EDT Updated: Jun 12, 2012 4:31 PM EDT

Atlanta (CNN) -- The Georgia Department of Transportation will not approve the application of a local chapter of the Ku Klux Klan to "adopt" a one-mile stretch of highway in North Georgia, a state official said Tuesday.

The state official did not want to be named because the official was not authorized to speak on the record.

The Klan chapter wanted to clean a stretch of highway in Union County, Georgia, according to paperwork obtained by CNN on Monday.

The application, which sought state approval for cleaning up a one-mile portion of a Georgia State Route 515 in the Appalachian Mountains, was filed by the International Keystone Knights of the KKK on May 21.

The chapter did not immediately respond to messages left Tuesday by CNN. Previously it said it would approach the American Civil Liberties Union if its application was denied.

"All we want to do is adopt a highway," April Chambers, the chapter's secretary, said Monday. "We're not doing it for publicity. We're doing it to keep the mountains beautiful. People throwing trash out on the side of the road ... that ain't right."

"We're not racists," Chambers said. "We just want to be with white people. If that's a crime, then I don't know. It's all right to be black and Latino and proud, but you can't be white and proud. I don't understand it."

A similar request in Missouri set off a legal battle that stretched for years and went all the way to the U.S. Supreme Court. A Ku Klux Klan chapter there sought to adopt a portion of Interstate 55. A federal appeals court ruled the state could not bar the KKK from participating in the program, and the high court declined to review the case, letting that ruling stand.

However, the Missouri Department of Transportation eventually kicked the KKK, a white supremacy group, out of the program because members were not picking up trash as agreed, spokesman Bob Brendel said Monday. The state also named the stretch of I-55 after civil rights activist Rosa Parks, according to the St. Louis Post-Dispatch.

Georgia has been participating in the Adopt-A-Highway program for more than 20 years. The program provides advertising for sponsors who agree to clean a stretch of road on a sign posted along the stretch.

"Any civic-minded organization, business, individual, family, city, county, state, or federal agency is welcome to volunteer in the Georgia Adopt-A-Highway program," the DOT website says.

Chambers said the group is more than 100 strong. "We have a lot of support," she said.

"I don't see why we can't (adopt the stretch of highway)," she said. "Would it be any different if it was the Black Panthers or something? Someone always has some kind of race card."

On its website, the International Keystone Knights of the KKK says it is "fed up with the Federal tyranny and oppression of Reconstruction, and the time was ripe for Clandestine Armed Resistance."

The Southern Poverty Law Center, which monitors hate groups, lists the KKK as "the most infamous -- and oldest -- of American hate groups."

"Over the years since it was formed in December 1865, the Klan has typically seen itself as a Christian organization, although in modern times Klan groups are motivated by a variety of theological and political ideologies," the law center's website says.

Thoughts

by on Jun. 12, 2012 at 5:30 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
notjstanothrmom
by Bronze Member on Jun. 12, 2012 at 5:34 PM
2 moms liked this
I honestly don't see the big deal. They are trying to do something nice.
Why not let them?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
andiemomo3
by Andie on Jun. 12, 2012 at 5:48 PM
You know that had to have burned the KKK right up. To have the highway you adopted on renamed after Rosa Parks. Hilarious.

I look forward to seeing whether or not they go to the ACLU. They have every right to. I just wonder if they will.

jessilin0113
by Platinum Member on Jun. 12, 2012 at 5:52 PM
I imagine their stretch of highway would be subjected to lots of vandalism.

Quoting notjstanothrmom:

Why not let them?

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
notjstanothrmom
by Bronze Member on Jun. 12, 2012 at 5:55 PM
2 moms liked this
Well that is a case of two wrongs don't make a right. Who cares if they think they are better? We don't have to hang out with them. If someone vandalizes public property then they are idiots.

Quoting jessilin0113:

Quoting notjstanothrmom:

Why not let them?

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Happymamax2
by Silver Member on Jun. 12, 2012 at 5:55 PM
7 moms liked this
Quoting notjstanothrmom:

Why not let them?

I hope you are kidding! They stand for hate, always have, always will. No person of color or anyone sensible enough to be offended by their existence should have to see a sign with KKK on it beside the highway.
Ireallydontcare
by Member on Jun. 12, 2012 at 6:01 PM

I wonder why I haven't heard anything about this. I live in this exact area. How strange.

With that said, if they are simply just going to be cleaning up the highway, why shouldn't they be allowed to? Hell, anyone should be allowed to clean it up. The thing is I DO live here. I wish I knew the exact 1 miles spot they are talking about. I rarely see trash along the highway up here.

notjstanothrmom
by Bronze Member on Jun. 12, 2012 at 6:01 PM
1 mom liked this
Lots of things stand for hate. Adopting a highway and cleaning public property is a good thing. There are lots of views I don't agree with, I think the KKK has barbaric views but I could care less to see a small sign saying they were doing their part in cleaning our highways. Just because I don't agree with their views doesn't mean I would ban them from doing good. Its petty.

Quoting Happymamax2:

Quoting notjstanothrmom:

Why not let them?

I hope you are kidding! They stand for hate, always have, always will. No person of color or anyone sensible enough to be offended by their existence should have to see a sign with KKK on it beside the highway.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
bona347
by on Jun. 12, 2012 at 6:01 PM

Quoting Happymamax2:

Quoting notjstanothrmom:

Why not let them?

jessilin0113
by Platinum Member on Jun. 12, 2012 at 6:01 PM
I agree, I am just assuming GA is trying to avoid more trouble than necessary. I think if the KKK wanted to pursue this they would probably win. I have no use for vandals.

Or the KKK...

Quoting notjstanothrmom:

Well that is a case of two wrongs don't make a right. Who cares if they think they are better? We don't have to hang out with them. If someone vandalizes public property then they are idiots.

Quoting jessilin0113:

Quoting notjstanothrmom:

Why not let them?

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
bona347
by on Jun. 12, 2012 at 6:03 PM

BUMP

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)