Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

HA! Using the system

Posted by on Jun. 12, 2012 at 7:55 PM
  • 5 Replies
1 mom liked this

I have been criticized on my facebook for telling a girl who is pregnant to use the single mom story in essays.   I also told her to use the first person in her family to go to college for essays, she is a a teen trying to care for her daughter to be, and to say she is fluent in two languages and can pass the AP exam.

some people don't get that she is what we want as the example of how to get out of the cycle of poverty.  And it fucking pisses me off.

I am so proud of this girl.    Her kid is due in July, but she already has 4 college credits from going to classes to get the credit.   This is so what we should be pushing.

by on Jun. 12, 2012 at 7:55 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-5):
punky3175
by on Jun. 12, 2012 at 7:57 PM
Thanks for sharing this story. It's great to see women (I'm calling her a woman because she seems to be very mature for her age) be able to make such a hard choice and excel. She's going to be a great example to her child (and any future kids.)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
FromAtoZ
by AllieCat on Jun. 12, 2012 at 7:57 PM
1 mom liked this

What are these people saying to you?  

I can certainly see what you are trying to do.  

She should be an example rather than the many other teens who become pregnant and basically stop their lives right there.

I'm NOT a fan of teenage pregnancy..........at all (just ask my daughter who had her son at 19) but I can see your encouragement here!

Tanya93
by on Jun. 12, 2012 at 8:01 PM
1 mom liked this

"Why are you supporting this?   She shouldn't be pregnant!"

Well, she is.   I don't think she should be, but she is doing exactly what we want kids to do.  And I will write a dozen letters for this girl for scholarships or admissions.

This is what we want.   Both sides of the spectrum; those who don't like welfare and those who think we need to do more in welfare.   She is number 2 right now in her class and will graduate next Spring.   Seriously, as her former teacher, I cannot be more proud.   She is doing what she needs to do.

Quoting FromAtoZ:

She should be an example rather than the many other teens who become pregnant and basically stop their lives right there.

I'm NOT a fan of teenage pregnancy..........at all (just ask my daughter who had her son at 19) but I can see your encouragement here!

FromAtoZ
by AllieCat on Jun. 12, 2012 at 8:06 PM

Quoting Tanya93:

"Why are you supporting this?   She shouldn't be pregnant!"

Well, she is.   I don't think she should be, but she is doing exactly what we want kids to do.  And I will write a dozen letters for this girl for scholarships or admissions.

This is what we want.   Both sides of the spectrum; those who don't like welfare and those who think we need to do more in welfare.   She is number 2 right now in her class and will graduate next Spring.   Seriously, as her former teacher, I cannot be more proud.   She is doing what she needs to do.

Quoting FromAtoZ:

She is indeed.

I'm glad she has you in her corner.

"A bird doesn't sing because it has an answer, it sings because it has a song." ~ Maya Angelou

rfurlongg
by on Jun. 12, 2012 at 8:14 PM
She sounds like she trying to make the best out of an unscripted situation. Good for her.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)