Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Entitlement breeds laziness

Posted by on Jun. 12, 2012 at 8:01 PM
  • 190 Replies
8 moms liked this

Entitlement breeds laziness.  

My daughter is 5 and plays soccer, she is terrible and her team is not very good either.  One of the other parents asked about trophies for the kids for the end of the season, my response was "Why? The kids lost all of their games, we should reward them?"  The woman looked at me like I had lost my mind.    

I just don't understand why we need to reward our children for merely participating in, or completing something.  The fact that you followed through a season with a sport, or finished the school year is not special.  It is not an accomplishment.  You do not deserve a celebration, trophy, or pat on the back for baseline achievement.  Children need to learn that, and they need to learn it from the beginning.  

Question, do you get an award, party or trophy for showing up to work?  I doubt it, mostly because it is a baseline responsibility.  

Again, entitlement breeds laziness.

by on Jun. 12, 2012 at 8:01 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
ashleyrenee24
by Ashley on Jun. 12, 2012 at 8:03 PM
2 moms liked this

I agree with you.

futureshock
by Ruby Member on Jun. 12, 2012 at 8:04 PM
13 moms liked this

How can a five year old be "terrible" at anything?

ms.sophsmom
by Silver Member on Jun. 12, 2012 at 8:05 PM
1 mom liked this
I agree with you. As bad as the kids may feel its not about getting a reward for just trying, its also not abt berating them for not doing well. Anymore, everyone gets something for nothing. Kids are rewarded so that everything is fair... its weird.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
BButler2012
by Member on Jun. 12, 2012 at 8:08 PM
5 moms liked this

Quoting futureshock:

She is terrible at soccer, inspite of coaching she runs away from the ball or just stands there when it is kicked to her.  She is just not good.  She is interested, but not talented.  

It is ok, because she is trying different sports until she finds a good fit.  We (my husband and I) are just realistic.  We aren't going to blow sunshine up our kids asses.  If they aren't good at something we aren't going to: a.) tell them they are, or b.) make them miserable trying to be good.  

Ann7227
by Bronze Member on Jun. 12, 2012 at 8:08 PM
3 moms liked this

It's soccer they should get some type of award. So what they didn't win least they didn't give up. I have never heard of  any sport where I lived that didn't have an awards night.

Wife2AGeek
by on Jun. 12, 2012 at 8:08 PM

Quoting futureshock:

That's what I'm wondering...Sometimes I think the concept of "competition" brings out the worst in so many people.

singlemom1208
by on Jun. 12, 2012 at 8:09 PM
I completely agree
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Derari
by on Jun. 12, 2012 at 8:10 PM
3 moms liked this
Or you could see it as encouragement.
jpuls
by Member on Jun. 12, 2012 at 8:10 PM
Wow
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MeAndTommyLee
by Gold Member on Jun. 12, 2012 at 8:14 PM
6 moms liked this

Hell no!  And I am happy to see this post because I was starting to think I was too damn old to be posting here.  I'm old school.  Don't EARN it, don't get it.  

Short story.  My DH wanted to coach a grade school softball team and he was told that the league decided not to keep score.  AND there was a championship game at the end of the season.  What??? 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)