Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Dad kills Daughter's alleged attacker

Posted by on Jun. 12, 2012 at 11:13 PM
  • 20 Replies

Sheriff: Dad kills daughter's alleged attacker

Posted: Jun 12, 2012 10:32 AM EDTUpdated: Jun 12, 2012 10:44 AM EDT

SHINER, TX (AP) - A father beat to death with his hands a man who tried molesting his 4-year-old daughter after the little girl was heard screaming on the family's rural Texas ranch, authorities said Monday.

Lavaca County Sheriff Micah Harmon said the father, whose name has not been released, is unlikely to be arrested for Saturday's killing and that no evidence so far has led investigators to doubt his story.

"There doesn't appear to be any reason other than what he told us," Harmon said.

Harmon said the victim was a 47-year-old man from Gonazles with no apparent prior criminal history. His name continued to be withheld Monday because authorities still hadn't tracked down any of his family.

The victim was an "acquaintance" of the father who had come to help care for some horses, Harmon said. He did not know how long the two men may have known each other. The girl was taken to a hospital to be examined and has since been released, Harmon said.

The father called police late Saturday afternoon and told them he attacked a man caught trying to sexually assault his daughter, Harmon said. The alleged attack happened near a barn where some horses were being kept.

"In the course of trying to get her away from him, and protect her, he struck the subject several times in the head and the subject died," Harmon said.

Harmon said a grand jury will decide what, if any, charges the father will face.

The victim's body was sent to the Travis County medical examiner for an autopsy.

The ranch near Shiner is about 130 miles west of Houston. Killings are rare in rural Lavaca County. Harmon said his office has only investigated six since in his eight years as sheriff.

by on Jun. 12, 2012 at 11:13 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
viv212
by Gold Member on Jun. 15, 2012 at 2:13 PM

I had to bump this.

I seen this on Nancy Grace and it boggles my mind.  On the tv show though, the DA has picked up the charges so this is going to the grand jury.  The father has been arrested and can be charged with murder.

I see no person on this earth that would give this man life in prison... but it is Texas and we are talking about the death penalty.

This is definitely a story to keep watch on.

Tanya93
by on Jun. 15, 2012 at 2:48 PM
You don't understand Texas law

Quoting mkuebler:

I suspect he'll be charged with voluntary manslaughter, which the facts of the case seem to fit.  2nd degree murder, I doubt it.  1st degree murder, impossible.  But unless things are very different from what they seem, it was far from justifiable homicide as well.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Tanya93
by on Jun. 15, 2012 at 2:49 PM
Well the news here doesn't know he has been arrested.

Quoting viv212:

I had to bump this.

I seen this on Nancy Grace and it boggles my mind.  On the tv show though, the DA has picked up the charges so this is going to the grand jury.  The father has been arrested and can be charged with murder.

I see no person on this earth that would give this man life in prison... but it is Texas and we are talking about the death penalty.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
sherry132
by Silver Member on Jun. 15, 2012 at 2:57 PM

This article was updated at 842 am this morning. 

Where are you seeing the father has been arrested?

http://www.cnn.com/2012/06/14/us/texas-abuser-killed/?hpt=hp_t3

Quoting viv212:

I had to bump this.

sherry132
by Silver Member on Jun. 15, 2012 at 2:59 PM

IF it goes to the grand jury, which is made up from the area around where he lives, the town has sworn to stand up for him. 

I really, don't see there being any charges brought. The grandfather is interviewed in this article. It sounds like there were also witnesses that saw what happened.

http://www.cnn.com/2012/06/14/us/texas-abuser-killed/?hpt=hp_t3

Quoting mkuebler:

I suspect he'll be charged with voluntary manslaughter, which the facts of the case seem to fit.  2nd degree murder, I doubt it.  1st degree murder, impossible.  But unless things are very different from what they seem, it was far from justifiable homicide as well.

Its.me.Sam.
by Gold Member on Jun. 15, 2012 at 2:59 PM

it seems his intent was not to kill.  based on reportings - he is not happy that he killed someone.
i can understand why charges are being thought about but i hope that the evidence shows that this was a terrible terrible thing that happened...but not a crime punishable by jail. 

Tanya93
by on Jun. 15, 2012 at 3:00 PM
Texas law allows for the use of deadly force to prevent imminent sexual assault.

He probably won't be charged with anything.

Quoting mkuebler:

Please explain, then.  Remembering that none of us really knows what happened, of course.

Quoting Tanya93:

You don't understand Texas law

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Tanya93
by on Jun. 15, 2012 at 3:49 PM
You don't get how the law here works. I told you that a person is allowed to use it to prevent sexual assault. If the accused started punching as soon as he saw it, there isn't a reason to say he wasn't trying to prevent.

The number of people that want this man up on charges even if his story is true floors me.

Quoting mkuebler:

IF that was necessary to repel the assault.  Not in revenge or outrage after the fact.  I doubt that the offender continued to effect the assault in the father's presence.  Anyone caught in such a situation would be trying to escape.

Quoting Tanya93:

Texas law allows for the use of deadly force to prevent imminent sexual assault.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Tanya93
by on Jun. 15, 2012 at 4:03 PM

And three punches can happen in a matter of seconds.   You haven't read much if you think it had already stopped by the time the dad got there.

But yes,

he should be brought up on charges....

This country is fucked.

Quoting mkuebler:

If he only took what force was reasonable and necessary to stop the assault, then I would think he should not be brought up on charges, and the difference between Texas law and any other state's doesn't even enter the picture.  I find that an extraordinarily hard story to believe, however.  Anyone caught in any crime, let alone doing something like that, is not going to continue doing it in someone else's presence.  As a former victim I can affirm that the sound of a doorknob turning can be enough to stop an assault.

I strongly suspect that the assault was already thwarted or at least ended, that the dad proceeded to beat the offender just because he wanted to, and the man's death was not in any way necessary to stop the assault.  If it were not so, the father would not be feeling remorse now, as he claims he is.

Quoting Tanya93:

You don't get how the law here works. I told you that a person is allowed to use it to prevent sexual assault. If the accused started punching as soon as he saw it, there isn't a reason to say he wasn't trying to prevent.

The number of people that want this man up on charges even if his story is true floors me.

Tanya93
by on Jun. 15, 2012 at 4:09 PM

well, I am glad you can fathom your child about to be raped by a man and just be able to slap them one time when you get there.

Quoting mkuebler:

I definitely think it would've stopped contemporeaneously with the dad's arrival.  I can't fathom any contrary situation.

Quoting Tanya93:

And three punches can happen in a matter of seconds.   You haven't read much if you think it had already stopped by the time the dad got there.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN