Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

A kinder, gentler Ku Klux Klan

Posted by   + Show Post

“All we wanna do is adopt a highway,” said April Chambers, secretary of the  North Georgia chapter of the Ku Klux Klan. “We're not doing it for publicity. We're doing it to keep the mountains beautiful. People throwing trash out on the side of the road ... that ain't right."

For many Americans, the Ku Klux Klan has been a symbol for terrorism, racism and evil in America, synonymous with burning crosses, lynchings and hooded men.

Even today, the name evokes vociferous discussion about the rights of a local group to adopt a highway in North Georgia, which was recently denied.

So what do you think?  Can the Ku Klux Klan be different now?

by on Jun. 13, 2012 at 4:14 PM
Replies (41-50):
vicki77433
by Bronze Member on Jun. 14, 2012 at 4:00 PM
1 mom liked this

Quoting JonJon:

Quoting vicki77433:

Quoting JonJon:

Also, I think it's a public service to vacationing blacks on a road trip to warn that they are in KKK territory.  That would be one of those places where Louisiana blacks have warned me not to consider taking a rest stop.

As a former resident of Louisiana, I would like to know where they told you not to stop.  It never occurred to me that there would be unsafe places to stop in this day and age based solely on race.  I know where not to stop based of the smell of excrement coming out of the restroom doors.

As for the KKK adopting a highway, I don't like it.  No normal, non-racist person joins that group.  To think that it's just a group that celebrates their European roots is absurd.

The topic is whether or not the KKK should be allowed to adopt a highway.  I don't care to argue with you about whether or not you believe what black people told me for safety's sake.  It's your right to disbelieve.

Where did I say or even imply that I didn't believe you?  I am actually curious.  I live in Baton Rouge and never really went to many of the smaller towns.

JonJon
by Ruby Member on Jun. 14, 2012 at 4:28 PM

Quoting vicki77433:

Quoting JonJon:

Quoting vicki77433:

Quoting JonJon:

Also, I think it's a public service to vacationing blacks on a road trip to warn that they are in KKK territory.  That would be one of those places where Louisiana blacks have warned me not to consider taking a rest stop.

As a former resident of Louisiana, I would like to know where they told you not to stop.  It never occurred to me that there would be unsafe places to stop in this day and age based solely on race.  I know where not to stop based of the smell of excrement coming out of the restroom doors.

As for the KKK adopting a highway, I don't like it.  No normal, non-racist person joins that group.  To think that it's just a group that celebrates their European roots is absurd.

The topic is whether or not the KKK should be allowed to adopt a highway.  I don't care to argue with you about whether or not you believe what black people told me for safety's sake.  It's your right to disbelieve.

Where did I say or even imply that I didn't believe you?  I am actually curious.  I live in Baton Rouge and never really went to many of the smaller towns.

I'm sorry, Vicki!  I'm so programmed to defend myself against things I didn't say that I'm in constant battle mode.  I'm trying to come in from the cold but it may take a while.  I'm like a combat veteran trying to normalize to civilian life.

It's just coincidence that different people from Louisiana have told me not to let the sun go down on me in certain parts of...MISSISSIPPI!  I probably shared my long-time goal of driving across the South to get some idea of how things really are down there.

That was years ago but I doubt anything's changed.  I spent a week in New Orleans and got the definite impression that there were boundaries over which blacks were not to step.  Actually, I was openly ignored when going into places to eat and shop, and when I decided to take advantage of their good prices for things and asked where I could go buy a bra in my size, I was taken to a storeroom in a department store that was set aside from the store proper (obviously) where black women were allowed to actually try on and buy bras!  It was swelteringly hot and stuffy in there.  New Orleans was not the happy party town one sees on tv.

mikiemom
by Ruby Member on Jun. 14, 2012 at 5:49 PM
1 mom liked this

No - if they want to be different dispand and change their name. Ku-klux-Klan will allways stand for hate and racism. They thrive on fear and once something is rotten to the core it can not be saved.

FrumpyMama
by Bronze Member on Jun. 14, 2012 at 6:12 PM

whistling

just passing by, keep my opinions on the KKK to myself.....

nana132
by on Jun. 14, 2012 at 6:20 PM

Can the Ku Klux Klan be different now?
No.  

wulfeyes05
by on Jun. 14, 2012 at 6:28 PM

I don't know if they can change, but maybe just maybe they can. I mean there was a story about a guy who was a skin head who had all his tattoos removed and him, his wife, and kids all had to move because their group was threatening to murder him and his family. If a long time member of something like that can change then I think anyone can. The people who helped him make this change were black and very forgiving. They didn't see a monster, they saw a man looking for a new life.

http://www.theblaze.com/stories/erasing-hate-reformed-skinhead-endures-agony-to-remove-hateful-tattoos/

circle_of_life
by Bronze Member on Jun. 14, 2012 at 6:55 PM
1 mom liked this

I've looked at their website. They state they are about love not hate, blah blah blah. And then have links to their store where you can buy any number of horrid racist tee shirts and stuff. They are still hateful assholes.

vicki77433
by Bronze Member on Jun. 14, 2012 at 7:03 PM
1 mom liked this

Quoting JonJon:

Quoting vicki77433:

I'm sorry, Vicki!  I'm so programmed to defend myself against things I didn't say that I'm in constant battle mode.  I'm trying to come in from the cold but it may take a while.  I'm like a combat veteran trying to normalize to civilian life.

It's just coincidence that different people from Louisiana have told me not to let the sun go down on me in certain parts of...MISSISSIPPI!  I probably shared my long-time goal of driving across the South to get some idea of how things really are down there.

That was years ago but I doubt anything's changed.  I spent a week in New Orleans and got the definite impression that there were boundaries over which blacks were not to step.  Actually, I was openly ignored when going into places to eat and shop, and when I decided to take advantage of their good prices for things and asked where I could go buy a bra in my size, I was taken to a storeroom in a department store that was set aside from the store proper (obviously) where black women were allowed to actually try on and buy bras!  It was swelteringly hot and stuffy in there.  New Orleans was not the happy party town one sees on tv.

You see, I just don't understand that in this day an age.  I'm originally from MS. moved to LA and now live in Texas.  Even so, I've never witnessed blatant racism like you've described.  That doesn't mean that I don't believe you, I do.  I still find it shocking...  You know what, now that I think about it, I have.  When I was in high school (1992) and worked in the mall, I was told by the manager to watch the black customers more closely than anyone else.  When I told her that I wouldn't. she was very huffy, but that was the end of the conversation.

I guess being white as opposed to black is kind of like being a woman as opposed to a man.  Men just don't get how we think about being raped if we go into a dark parking lot. I just don't think about whether or not a town is a safe place to stop based on race. 

JonJon
by Ruby Member on Jun. 14, 2012 at 7:34 PM

Quoting vicki77433:

Quoting JonJon:

Quoting vicki77433:

You see, I just don't understand that in this day an age.  I'm originally from MS. moved to LA and now live in Texas.  Even so, I've never witnessed blatant racism like you've described.  That doesn't mean that I don't believe you, I do.  I still find it shocking...  You know what, now that I think about it, I have.  When I was in high school (1992) and worked in the mall, I was told by the manager to watch the black customers more closely than anyone else.  When I told her that I wouldn't. she was very huffy, but that was the end of the conversation.

I guess being white as opposed to black is kind of like being a woman as opposed to a man.  Men just don't get how we think about being raped if we go into a dark parking lot. I just don't think about whether or not a town is a safe place to stop based on race. 

The thing is, I know there are places where a black person dare not go but I'm so haughty I have to fight the urge to go to those places and DARE them to do anything to me! 

I wouldn't last two weeks in the deep south.  I'd be hangin' from a poplar tree.

The last word in this song is crop, not cry.

glitterteaz
by Ruby Member on Jun. 14, 2012 at 7:37 PM

Ya, and piranhas are kinder and gentler when ravaging a meal. WHATEVER!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN