Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

We put him there

Posted by on Jun. 15, 2012 at 12:29 AM
  • 8 Replies

U.S. says American jailed in Cuba cannot walk

(Reuters) - The Obama administration on Thursday called on Cuba to immediately release jailed American contractor Alan Gross, saying his health has worsened and he can no longer walk.

State Department spokeswoman Victoria Nuland said the administration also is urging authorities in Havana to turn over information about his condition to his family so they can assess his health and whether he is receiving adequate medical care.

"He has lost more than 100 pounds since his arrest. He suffers from severe degenerative arthritis and is no longer able to walk in his cell. He has other health problems that cause pain and require treatment," Nuland said.

"We call on the government of Cuba to release Alan Gross immediately and allow him to return to his family," Nuland said.

Gross, 63, was arrested in Havana in December 2009 and sentenced to 15 years in prison for setting up Internet networks under a semi-covert U.S. program aimed at promoting political change.

http://www.reuters.com/article/2012/06/15/us-usa-cuba-gross-idUSBRE85E03I20120615

by on Jun. 15, 2012 at 12:29 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
anxiousschk
by anxiouss on Jun. 15, 2012 at 10:45 AM
4 moms liked this

FFS.  

I don't even know how to respond to this.  I'm impressed that he was working in a semi-covert (would it be totally covert if he wasn't caught?) mission at 60.  Way to go grandpa! 

It's easy for me to say this, as I am not involved in "missions" really, but I feel as though when you agree to work in Cuba, on a project aimed at promoting political change....bad things might happen.  

I feel horrible about the situation, but what should be done?  Yeah, it's easy to say Cuba should release him...but if we caught someone on US soil doing the same thing, would we feel the same?  I doubt it.  

mrsjksimmons
by on Jun. 15, 2012 at 11:03 AM

I totally understand what he was trying to do. BUT degenerative conditions don't just pop up and say boo. When he took it on, he should have thought of the consequences to his health.

With that said, I think that the very LEAST the Cuban government can do is provide some healthcare for him.

stormcris
by Christy on Jun. 15, 2012 at 12:09 PM

I think this will be used as some sort of bargaining chip for Cuba at the very least.

Quoting mrsjksimmons:

I totally understand what he was trying to do. BUT degenerative conditions don't just pop up and say boo. When he took it on, he should have thought of the consequences to his health.

With that said, I think that the very LEAST the Cuban government can do is provide some healthcare for him.

kailu1835
by Ruby Member on Jun. 15, 2012 at 1:24 PM

What do we expect when we send a spy into another country?

mrsjksimmons
by on Jun. 15, 2012 at 2:18 PM

I don't think it will do much. We've spent I don't know how many years trying to "bargain" with Cuba and it got us nowhere. I don't really see this doing much else. Frankly, there isn't anything we can really do anyway. Yes, he is a citizen but he is being jailed by a foreign country because he got caught doing something illegal. If someone of another country pulled that here, was jailed and this issue cropped up, we'd being telling the original country "Sorry, you're shit outta luck."

Quoting stormcris:

I think this will be used as some sort of bargaining chip for Cuba at the very least.

Quoting mrsjksimmons:

gsprofval
by Silver Member on Jun. 15, 2012 at 5:25 PM

NO, if we caught someone here doing the same thing, it's more likely he gets a tap on the wrist and told, "don't do that any more, honey" and then let him go on to do what he does.

LindaClement
by Thatwoman on Jun. 16, 2012 at 12:47 AM

Subversion of the government doesn't tend to be taken very lightly by your average nation state... why should Cuba be different?

stormcris
by Christy on Jun. 16, 2012 at 6:30 AM

Good question

Quoting LindaClement:

Subversion of the government doesn't tend to be taken very lightly by your average nation state... why should Cuba be different?

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN