Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Is this hateful or discriminatory?

Posted by on Jun. 15, 2012 at 2:22 AM
  • 52 Replies
So I had this listed on eBay, and yes, I read all the rules, but didn't believe this item fell into any of the categories. It got deleted for the reason of being hateful or discriminatory.

It's a postal tag from the Falkensee POW Camp from WWII. I found it at the antique shop I work at and thought it was an interesting. Yes, it has a swastika on it, but it's not any kind of Nazi propaganda. Its part of a terrible history...but history none the less, and no amount of silence is going to make that history go away.

Yes, eBay has their rules and can do what they want. I have great success on eBay and would never do anything to jeopardize that.

I guess I'm just wondering your thoughts on this or similar items. Is this offensive to you? Do you find it hateful or discriminatory? I'm going to post a pic if I can figure it out. Lol
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Jun. 15, 2012 at 2:22 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
cammibear
by Gold Member on Jun. 15, 2012 at 2:28 AM

Pic

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
LindaClement
by Thatwoman on Jun. 15, 2012 at 2:28 AM

I hope you figure out how to post the picture, because I have no idea what you're talking about.

glitterteaz
by Ruby Member on Jun. 15, 2012 at 2:32 AM

I do not think it is either. I worked in a art shop that did custom framing we did a whole custom shadow box of Nazi memorabilia. Her father got it off a soldier he killed in battle. 

Its.me.Sam.
by Silver Member on Jun. 15, 2012 at 2:35 AM
10 moms liked this

its a historical artifact.  not offensive.

cammibear
by Gold Member on Jun. 15, 2012 at 2:38 AM
1 mom liked this
I'm a history buff, and anything like this if fascinating to me. I always think there is a story behind every piece of memorabilia. WWII items are good sellers. I already had some interest :( and had a pretty good price on it. Darn it!

Quoting glitterteaz:

I do not think it is either. I worked in a art shop that did custom framing we did a whole custom shadow box of Nazi memorabilia. Her father got it off a soldier he killed in battle. 

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
foxfroggy
by Bronze Member on Jun. 15, 2012 at 2:40 AM
3 moms liked this

Consider how you would feel if you were a death camp survivor or a family member of someone who suffered in one and saw someone profiteering from such memorabilia. You might not have thought it was hateful but I see it as morally repugnant.

cammibear
by Gold Member on Jun. 15, 2012 at 2:42 AM
I agree. I was pretty surprised they didn't allow it.

Quoting Its.me.Sam.:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
glitterteaz
by Ruby Member on Jun. 15, 2012 at 2:43 AM

I would contact ebay and tell them it is historical memorabilia and how do you have to mark it to sell it on their site. Sometimes they just make you put a disclaimer

Quoting cammibear:

I'm a history buff, and anything like this if fascinating to me. I always think there is a story behind every piece of memorabilia. WWII items are good sellers. I already had some interest :( and had a pretty good price on it. Darn it!

Quoting glitterteaz:

Its.me.Sam.
by Silver Member on Jun. 15, 2012 at 2:44 AM

thats pretty ridiculous.

Quoting cammibear:

I agree. I was pretty surprised they didn't allow it.

Quoting Its.me.Sam.:

glitterteaz
by Ruby Member on Jun. 15, 2012 at 2:46 AM
3 moms liked this

Many victims of this type of violence keep reminders and memorabilia.  It is history and if you don't speak of it you are doomed to repeat it.

Quoting foxfroggy:

Consider how you would feel if you were a death camp survivor or a family member of someone who suffered in one and saw someone profiteering from such memorabilia. You might not have thought it was hateful but I see it as morally repugnant.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)