Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Is this hateful or discriminatory?

Posted by   + Show Post
So I had this listed on eBay, and yes, I read all the rules, but didn't believe this item fell into any of the categories. It got deleted for the reason of being hateful or discriminatory.

It's a postal tag from the Falkensee POW Camp from WWII. I found it at the antique shop I work at and thought it was an interesting. Yes, it has a swastika on it, but it's not any kind of Nazi propaganda. Its part of a terrible history...but history none the less, and no amount of silence is going to make that history go away.

Yes, eBay has their rules and can do what they want. I have great success on eBay and would never do anything to jeopardize that.

I guess I'm just wondering your thoughts on this or similar items. Is this offensive to you? Do you find it hateful or discriminatory? I'm going to post a pic if I can figure it out. Lol
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Jun. 15, 2012 at 2:22 AM
Replies (31-40):
cammibear
by Gold Member on Jun. 15, 2012 at 9:25 AM
That's a very interesting story! And I think there probably are creepy people collecting Nazi memorabilia, but there are also people that just love history and collect WWII stuff in general. My hope would be for one of those people to be interested in it. :)

Quoting mikiemom:

Well yes and no. I think it is very important to learn about that part of history so that it never happens again. But I think the average citizen collecting Nazi stuff is creepy  

I think collecting Nazi memorabilia is a tad creepy but having said that, I found a Nazi ledger in an antique shop in Poland when we lived in Germany. It had the Nazi eagle and swastika, it had names and possessions like a spreadsheet listed.   I didn't want to buy it as I had accidentally bought a Menorah a trip before that. I had talked the the Rabi from Ramstein after finding out what it was so when I got back to base, I contacted him to see what he thought. He got special permission as buying nazi memorabilia is illegal in Germany, went to buy it and donated it to the Holocaust Museum here in DC. I was shocked when I went to visit the holocaust museum and saw my name listed as a donor as he had added my name since I found it.

Just a note, The Rabi suggested that we honor the family the Menorah belonged to and celebrate Hanukkah every year so even though DS and I are Pagan we light the Menorah and celebrate Hanukkah in honor of the family that the Menorah originally belonged to. So we do Hanukkah, Yule, and Christmas.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
cammibear
by Gold Member on Jun. 15, 2012 at 9:28 AM
I had the starting bid at $120 and buy it now at $200. Do you think that's a reasonable price?

Quoting Carpy:

How much do you want for it? 

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
cjsbmom
by Lois Lane on Jun. 15, 2012 at 9:34 AM

It's a historical artifact. But....someone obviously complained about it, so Ebay removed it. I am a huge WWII buff, so I find all of this stuff fascinating. But I realize there are some who may be offended by it and don't wish to be reminded of that era in history.

cjsbmom
by Lois Lane on Jun. 15, 2012 at 9:35 AM

You might be better off trying to sell it to a museum, particularly one that specializes in this sort of thing.

cammibear
by Gold Member on Jun. 15, 2012 at 9:36 AM
Yes, I read all their rules and restrictions. They are very strict and I can understand that to a point. :)

Quoting mommajen32:

Quoting mikiemom:

For the love of all that is good please do not sell it outright to any of the ladies on this site who have been defending the KKK - blech.

For real ....now THAT was/is just creepy ... OP unfortunately I think it keeps people that aren't just into history from using their site to trade there are people that are still "into" that stuff in a bad way. It's a shame those folks are still around. 

As a private business, that's their right to make rules. If you don't find luck on ebay go to another site or a local antique shop or auction. 

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
cammibear
by Gold Member on Jun. 15, 2012 at 9:40 AM
It sent me to the rules and restrictions before I ever listed it. I suspect something in my title prompted that, even though I didn't use WWII or Nazi or swatzika. I did wonder if someone complained though, or if it had a red flag and they checked it out. Either way I'm busted. :)

Quoting cjsbmom:

It's a historical artifact. But....someone obviously complained about it, so Ebay removed it. I am a huge WWII buff, so I find all of this stuff fascinating. But I realize there are some who may be offended by it and don't wish to be reminded of that era in history.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
cammibear
by Gold Member on Jun. 15, 2012 at 9:41 AM
Thats a good idea.

Quoting cjsbmom:

You might be better off trying to sell it to a museum, particularly one that specializes in this sort of thing.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
bookmommy
by on Jun. 15, 2012 at 12:30 PM
2 moms liked this

Exactly right. If we don't see or hear of atrocities and instead bury them, we lose the reminders of what led to the horrible deeds. By remembering, we honor those who lost their lives..

Quoting glitterteaz:

Many victims of this type of violence keep reminders and memorabilia.  It is history and if you don't speak of it you are doomed to repeat it.

Quoting foxfroggy:

Consider how you would feel if you were a death camp survivor or a family member of someone who suffered in one and saw someone profiteering from such memorabilia. You might not have thought it was hateful but I see it as morally repugnant.

Ginnymarie33
by on Jun. 15, 2012 at 12:42 PM
Lots of people collect that stuff .
StormySkye
by Member on Jun. 15, 2012 at 3:06 PM

I have seen other nazi related items on eBay...flags with swastikas and other stuff...maybe they have changed their policies on this stuff??

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN