Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

School opens up CPS investigation because of mosquito bites?

Posted by on Jun. 15, 2012 at 9:49 PM
  • 41 Replies

My boyfriend just came home mad as hell because according to his kids' mom, their lil girls preschool (a Montessori school) might open up a case because of their daughter has mosquito bites.

Please tell me this is ridiculous.  I don't want to sit here and call her a liar, but she doesn't know I was involved with CPS.  There is no way, I would think, that CPS would even waste their time.  It's not even flea bites!   On top of that, their lil girl only has about 5 total in a span of over 3 days.  Their other lil one that goes to the school doesn't have any mosquito bites.

This is what the school has told her, although when asking him, I asked is that what his baby mama said, or the school told him?  It was her that said the school told her.

We do not inherit the Earth from our Ancestors, we borrow it from our Children

by on Jun. 15, 2012 at 9:49 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
futureshock
by Ruby Member on Jun. 15, 2012 at 10:02 PM

Why does she have so many bites?  Do you how serious mosquito bites can be?

Quote:

Mosquitoes and Disease

What’s the most dangerous creature on earth? Without question the answer is: the mosquito. Mosquitoes and the diseases they spread have been responsible for killing more people than all the wars in history. Even today, mosquitoes transmitting malaria kill 2 million to 3 million people and infect another 200 million or more every year. Tens of millions more are killed and debilitated by a host of other mosquito-borne diseases, including filariasis, yellow fever, dengue and encephalitis.

But for millions of Americans, malaria is something other people get somewhere else. The fact is that nearly half of the world’s population is at risk for malaria. Residents of the United States are not immune. Malaria has occurred in the United States, and still does on rare occasions. Mosquitoes capable of carrying and transmitting malaria still inhabit most parts of this country. And an influx of malaria-infected persons has produced localized malaria transmission in some areas of the United States.

Today, however, the threat of developing encephalitis from mosquitoes is far greater than the threat of malaria in the United States. Encephalitis, meningitis and other diseases can develop from the bites of mosquitoes infected with certain viruses. These include the viruses of West Nile, St. Louis encephalitis, LaCrosse (California) encephalitis, and Eastern equine and Western equine encephalitis.

to read the rest:

http://www.idph.state.il.us/envhealth/pcmosquitoes.htm

viv212
by Gold Member on Jun. 15, 2012 at 10:06 PM

Okay, yeah, I know all that... but a CPS investigation?

dmarie2101
by Member on Jun. 15, 2012 at 10:08 PM
1 mom liked this

5 bites over 3 days is not a lot, at least not where i live. especially if you dare venture outside in the evening. i can get bitten that many times just walking from my house to the car. idk where the op lives, but if theyre in the south, as i am (tx), mosquitoes are prevalent. its humid, there have been several large storms which create stagnant water, and its summer.

Quoting futureshock:

Quote:

Mosquitoes and Disease

What’s the most dangerous creature on earth? Without question the answer is: the mosquito. Mosquitoes and the diseases they spread have been responsible for killing more people than all the wars in history. Even today, mosquitoes transmitting malaria kill 2 million to 3 million people and infect another 200 million or more every year. Tens of millions more are killed and debilitated by a host of other mosquito-borne diseases, including filariasis, yellow fever, dengue and encephalitis.

But for millions of Americans, malaria is something other people get somewhere else. The fact is that nearly half of the world’s population is at risk for malaria. Residents of the United States are not immune. Malaria has occurred in the United States, and still does on rare occasions. Mosquitoes capable of carrying and transmitting malaria still inhabit most parts of this country. And an influx of malaria-infected persons has produced localized malaria transmission in some areas of the United States.

Today, however, the threat of developing encephalitis from mosquitoes is far greater than the threat of malaria in the United States. Encephalitis, meningitis and other diseases can develop from the bites of mosquitoes infected with certain viruses. These include the viruses of West Nile, St. Louis encephalitis, LaCrosse (California) encephalitis, and Eastern equine and Western equine encephalitis.

to read the rest:

LauraKW
by "Dude!" on Jun. 15, 2012 at 10:09 PM
1 mom liked this
Someone isn't telling the truth somewhere, or possibly the mosquito bites are infected to the point that the school is concerned about lack of medical care. More than likely, its option A.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
futureshock
by Ruby Member on Jun. 15, 2012 at 10:11 PM

Quoting viv212:

Okay, yeah, I know all that... but a CPS investigation?

There is probably more to the story.  The child could be scratching the bites and they are getting infected, there could be more than 5 bites, etc., etc.

jadedcynic
by NerdyJen on Jun. 15, 2012 at 10:12 PM

Probably think it could be bedbugs.

futureshock
by Ruby Member on Jun. 15, 2012 at 10:12 PM

Be careful, seriously!

Quoting dmarie2101:

5 bites over 3 days is not a lot, at least not where i live. especially if you dare venture outside in the evening. i can get bitten that many times just walking from my house to the car. idk where the op lives, but if theyre in the south, as i am (tx), mosquitoes are prevalent. its humid, there have been several large storms which create stagnant water, and its summer.

Quoting futureshock:

Quote:

Mosquitoes and Disease

to read the rest:

WildCat73
by on Jun. 15, 2012 at 10:14 PM

we have a stupid mosquito in our house it has bit me and my kids at least 10x s each. we are trying to locate and kill it. And i put medicine on the bites. Could it be they are infected? or did the mom do something else and left a mark?plus my kids and i go outside in the evening to and get them there. I think she is lying or there is something is she is not telling.

.Bubbles.
by Silver Member on Jun. 15, 2012 at 10:15 PM

5 bites over the course of three days is nothing where we live.  I live in the country and there is swampy land behind our land.  Even if we use all the stuff to try to keep them away and spray ourselves with bug spray we are pretty much guaranteed to get them in summer. 

Quoting futureshock:

Quote:

Mosquitoes and Disease

to read the rest:

nb34
by Gold Member on Jun. 15, 2012 at 10:21 PM

What are you suppose to do? Not go outside? Even if I go outside for ten minutes in the evening during summer, I get more than 5 mosquito bites. Mind you I use bug repellents and still get them. I have an allergic reaction to them too, so they get huge and very itchy. My kids also get them, not as bad as I do though. But what is the solution?

Quoting futureshock:

Quote:

Mosquitoes and Disease

to read the rest:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN