Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Self Administerd Assisted Suicide

Posted by   + Show Post

Poll

Question: Are you in favor of self administered assisted suicide for non-terminal people?

Options:

Yes, everyone should have the right to end their life for any reason.

Yes, but only for terminal illness.

No

Other

What a morbid discussion

Only group members can vote in this poll.

Total Votes: 59

View Results

I've got a post going right now regarding the life in prison without parole in lieu of the death penalty and giving those prisoners the option of assisted suicide. A few people answered regarding AA in general so now I am curious. I'm going to ask a poll question. Feel free to vote in the pole and explain your answer below.

Just to be clear. We are talking about Non-terminal people who would be given a prescription for a lethal dose of medication to end their own life for Any reason. They alone would take the meds. No one would inject them or push the plunger.  

by on Jun. 15, 2012 at 10:52 PM
Replies (31-40):
Sisteract
by Whoopie on Jun. 15, 2012 at 11:59 PM

I have euthanized 2 dogs within the last 6 mos- both very peaceful, calm and pain free deaths- I held each one as they passed. Humans should be so lucky-

TruthSeeker.
by Milami on Jun. 16, 2012 at 12:00 AM

Why would you need to testify for or against someone? If you are terminal you are going to die very shortly. AS just allows you to chose when and to not suffer as much.

At least you are consistent. I've not been able to understand how some are against abortion and AS but for the death penalty and euthanization.

Quoting sherry132:

I haven't euthanized a pet, however, I have kept them comfortable and allowed them to die peacefully.

As soon as you give ANYONE that option, it because a huge mess. Once your dead, you don't have a voice. Once your dead, you can't testify in defense of someone, or say someone did you harm. 

My feelings about abortion, euthanization, death penalty, and AS are all the same. No. 

Quoting TruthSeeker.:

I kind of figured that, but my question was more for society as a whole and not just your personal views for yourself. I understand not wanting AS for yourself at the end of your life, for a terminal illness, etc. But, do you feel other people should not be able to have this choice? At all? If so, why do you feel they should not be offered this choice?

Another question. Do you believe in euthanization for a pet that is terminal, lost bodily functions or ability to eat, is in pain, etc?

TruthSeeker.
by Milami on Jun. 16, 2012 at 12:04 AM
1 mom liked this

Quoting Sisteract:

I have euthanized 2 dogs within the last 6 mos- both very peaceful, calm and pain free deaths- I held each one as they passed. Humans should be so lucky-

I used to be staunchly against AS, but I know without a doubt if my cat(I've had him for 12 yrs now) becomes terminal and is in pain that I will have him euthanized. I will hold him and watch him peacefully fall asleep and then die.  If I can love my animal so much that I would help ease their suffering how could I not do the same for a human I love. How can I expect my mother or sister or heaven forbid one of my children to suffer day after day with a horrible disease that Will take their life?

andiemomo3
by Andie on Jun. 16, 2012 at 12:10 AM
I voted other. I am for assisted suicide in regards to a terminal illness - I believe you should have the choice to die in your right mind and with dignity.

However, and here's my slippery slope. I also believe in assisted suicide for people suffering from other types of illnesses. My main ones being dementia and Alzheimer's. Once diagnosed, the person should have the right to choose whether or not they and their families should suffer through the illness.

My father has been asking for me to help him die regularly when he is in his right mind. For five years. And that's not often these days. He stays childlike without most of the memories of his life for the most part. The man who was my father would be mortified, and some days is, as the reality that is his life now.
sherry132
by Silver Member on Jun. 16, 2012 at 12:11 AM

Because if a death is unassisted by a medical professional, meaning not in a hospital or other medical facility or no doctor is at your home, then the death has to be investigated by the coroner and the police. 

Once you are dead, no matter what you wrote or what you claim you previously wanted, there is an investigation and then that person who helped you, has a shit load of problems. 

Once you give any medical professional the option of doing assisted deaths, you have angels of mercy who take things into their own hands, then claim "Oh that is what they wanted". 

AS allows murderers to go free and or good people who tried to do the right thing wind up in prison. There is no way to prevent it from happening. None at all. 

Even if they could make it fool proof, I'd still be against ending a life before it's time. I don't like to use my belief in God in this group, but ultimately, I believe God is the only who should decide when we die. 

And just for the record, I'm not completely consistent. I do eat meat. I just don't kill it myself. LOL

Quoting TruthSeeker.:

Why would you need to testify for or against someone? If you are terminal you are going to die very shortly. AS just allows you to chose when and to not suffer as much.

At least you are consistent. I've not been able to understand how some are against abortion and AS but for the death penalty and euthanization.

Quoting sherry132:

I haven't euthanized a pet, however, I have kept them comfortable and allowed them to die peacefully.

As soon as you give ANYONE that option, it because a huge mess. Once your dead, you don't have a voice. Once your dead, you can't testify in defense of someone, or say someone did you harm. 

My feelings about abortion, euthanization, death penalty, and AS are all the same. No. 

Quoting TruthSeeker.:

I kind of figured that, but my question was more for society as a whole and not just your personal views for yourself. I understand not wanting AS for yourself at the end of your life, for a terminal illness, etc. But, do you feel other people should not be able to have this choice? At all? If so, why do you feel they should not be offered this choice?

Another question. Do you believe in euthanization for a pet that is terminal, lost bodily functions or ability to eat, is in pain, etc?

andiemomo3
by Andie on Jun. 16, 2012 at 12:11 AM
An afterthought to what I just wrote above - because of my experiences with my father, I have asked my husband to find a way to put me out of my misery should I become I diagnosed with certain diseases. And I'm not joking when we talk of it.
andiemomo3
by Andie on Jun. 16, 2012 at 12:17 AM
Quoting Sisteract:

I have often said over the last couple of years that we treat our pets much better in their dying than we treat the human sick. When you euthanize a pet, their suffering is over and it's peaceful. I agree, humans should be so lucky.
Friday
by HRH of MJ on Jun. 16, 2012 at 12:18 AM

Yes. My body, my choice, my life. I do think counseling would be a good start, terminal or not.

Thank God......it's Friday!!!

LindaClement
by Thatwoman on Jun. 16, 2012 at 12:19 AM

I believe that the means to suicide should be put into the hands of the person requesting it. Whether or not they use it... well, that's a whole other pickle crock.

No one else should EVER be allowed to end someone's else's life (short of, you know, stopping the rampaging murderer or whatever...)

Who knows what is going on in there, really. What looks like suffering from out here is their whole life in there...

Quoting andiemomo3:

An afterthought to what I just wrote above - because of my experiences with my father, I have asked my husband to find a way to put me out of my misery should I become I diagnosed with certain diseases. And I'm not joking when we talk of it.

andiemomo3
by Andie on Jun. 16, 2012 at 12:30 AM
Quoting LindaClement:

I can see that. And I agree. If I become terribly illwith some sort of uncurable, I actually wouldn't want my husband to do the "dirty" work. That's a heavy burden to ask anyone to shoulder.

Here's a question (for anyone) that just occurred to me. If I did decide to put myself out, do (or anyone else in the same situation) tell my family about my decision? How does one approach that? It seems to keep it your own secret makes it a bad deed, not a reasonable, sane one. It would seem the sane idea would be to have your family with you.

But does that ake them an accessory when they don't callan ambulance?
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)