Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Obama Refuses to Deport Young Illegals for Their Parents' Mistakes - What do you think of this bold move?

Posted by   + Show Post

Obama Refuses to Deport Young Illegals for Their Parents' Mistakes

Posted by Jeanne Sager on June 15, 2012

ImmigrationPresident Barack Obama's announcement today that his administration will no longer deport the majority of young illegal immigrants who entered the United States as children has already been dragged into the political arena and it's being smacked around by Republicans. But let's be real. This move goes beyond politics. Protecting young immigrants is a win for American families: all of them.

What came out of the White House today isn't about politics. It's about protecting children from the burden of being punished for actions their parents committed. We live in a country where kids are supposed to be protected, doted on, cared for, but until today, kids were being told that something that happened to them when they were helpless infants was their fault.

But not anymore.

From here on out, children brought to America by their parents under shady circumstance will be treated as just that: children. Children can't enter into contracts in the United States. They can't be charged with adult crimes. And as long as they meet certain criteria, they can't be deported for simply doing what their parents asked.

As Los Angeles Mayor Antonio Villaraigosa told The Stir during a conference call with several members of the press today, "They don't know any other country ... they want to work and contribute to our social security. They want to serve in our military ... want to give back to this country that gave them so much."

How can you argue with that?

I can't.

Oh come on. Put kids in any other situation, and expect them to bear the burden of their parents' mistakes, and people would be screaming from the rooftops.

Picture it. A mom takes her infant daughter along on a murder. Do we punish the child as an "accessory to murder?" Of course not. That would be ridiculous.

OK, but the kid didn't "do" the crime? Here's one: say mom leaves the keys in the ignition of the car. Toddler climbs in, puts the car in reverse, and slams into another vehicle, killing the driver. Do you charge the kid? Again, no.

So why are there Americans who would actually support taking a young person and shipping them off to another country because they are an "illegal" immigrant? They might be here illegally, but they've had as little control over that as that infant carted to the murder scene and as little knowledge of the law as that toddler who maneuvered the car into an accident.

If we protect these kids, it sends a message to the world that all children in America are precious, no matter who their parents are.

What do you think of the Obama administration's bold move?

by on Jun. 16, 2012 at 11:38 AM
Replies (11-20):
piratepixie
by Member on Jun. 16, 2012 at 12:31 PM

its not the childrens failt that their parents came to this country illigelly i so no reason in punishing them for for what the grown ups did.

TruthSeeker.
by Milami on Jun. 16, 2012 at 12:35 PM

I agree with this decision.

tooptimistic
by Kelly on Jun. 16, 2012 at 12:42 PM

Quoting KblazeMomOf2:

I agree with him 100%. The parents should be deported but the kids who are adults now shouldn't be punished and thrown to a country they really dont know.

I agree too.. but it breaks my heart they will be seperated from their parents.  Their parents broke the law and came illegally, and I agree they should be deported.  Its just sad on the personal level.  :(  I think the same should happen to "anchor" babies parents.

RainyDayLazy
by Rainy on Jun. 16, 2012 at 12:43 PM
1 mom liked this
I had a friend who's parents brought him over illegally when he was 2. His little brother and sister are legal because they were born here. He told me his biggest fear was was being deported to a country he doesn't remember. I felt so bad for him.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
meriana
by Platinum Member on Jun. 16, 2012 at 12:45 PM
7 moms liked this

I'm not sure this was such a good idea, it could easily lead to more people sneaking across the border with their young children, knowing that when the children near adulthood they can work, go to college, etc., in other words, reap the benefits, without having to go through the process of LEGAL immigration. In previous years, whenever amnesty or anything else has even been discussed, let alone passed, it resulted in an influx of illegal immigrants who decided to sneak across the border, just in case.

I also think it's something of a slap in the face to those who brought their families here LEGALLY.  Why should they go through the LEGAL process if they can obtain everything (advantage) they want for their children by ignoring the legal process and sneaking across the border.

Mom2Just1
by Gold Member on Jun. 16, 2012 at 12:47 PM
1 mom liked this
Good!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Tara922c
by on Jun. 16, 2012 at 12:53 PM

My aunt's husband found out as a pre-teen he was not an American citizen (not sure if he was illegal at the time). His mom lived in the US legally, went to Mexico when she was 7 months pregnant to visit relatives, and he was born very early. His 4 older siblings are US citizens, and he is not. I am glad this law was passed.

O.T.--- I have an acquaintance who is an illegal alien. She is an American living in Italy illegally. Another acquaintance of mine was deported from the UK. She was there living with her boyfriend who was there for school and had a work visa, she did not. In my geography class; my professor brought up the subject that many Americans feel they have the right to move to whatever country they want and live there, legally. I found it to be an interesting topic.

Ms.KitKat
by Platinum Member on Jun. 16, 2012 at 12:56 PM

There are restrictions and paremeters (sp?) to this: the child must have been brought here before the age of 16 and they can not be older than 30 years old to apply for this.

My understanding is - if you are older than 30 you have to get your paperwork cleared up or you get deported; or if you came her at age 17 + you do not qualify. You also must have graduated HS, have no criminal record and a whole other list of rules and requirements. It is not a very easy thing. But it is a good step in the right direction.

Quoting meriana:

I'm not sure this was such a good idea, it could easily lead to more people sneaking across the border with their young children, knowing that when the children near adulthood they can work, go to college, etc., in other words, reap the benefits, without having to go through the process of LEGAL immigration. In previous years, whenever amnesty or anything else has even been discussed, let alone passed, it resulted in an influx of illegal immigrants who decided to sneak across the border, just in case.

I also think it's something of a slap in the face to those who brought their families here LEGALLY.  Why should they go through the LEGAL process if they can obtain everything (advantage) they want for their children by ignoring the legal process and sneaking across the border.

Donna6503
by Platinum Member on Jun. 16, 2012 at 12:58 PM
It's great, having family in this situation ... It is wonderful news.

Politically, I feel this news should have been announced on Monday. The reason it was announced on a Friday; one, to undercut the news about the leaks on those Sunday news shows and Obama lousy Cleveland speech on Thursday (I like Obama; still that's was just an awful and inaccurate speech)

But, I think main reason, Rubio was going to introduce such legislation next weeks and it would have been a good issue for Romney's if Rubio going to be his VP nomination; yet, Obama out pinned the GOP on this and in November, Obama will basically win the Hespanic vote 4 to 1.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
meriana
by Platinum Member on Jun. 16, 2012 at 1:25 PM
1 mom liked this

Quoting Ms.KitKat:

There are restrictions and paremeters (sp?) to this: the child must have been brought here before the age of 16 and they can not be older than 30 years old to apply for this.

My understanding is - if you are older than 30 you have to get your paperwork cleared up or you get deported; or if you came her at age 17 + you do not qualify. You also must have graduated HS, have no criminal record and a whole other list of rules and requirements. It is not a very easy thing. But it is a good step in the right direction.

Quoting meriana:

But is there a time-frame factor. In other words is there something that says they have to have been brought here by or before X date and it's only in effect until X date or is it open at both ends. If it's open, it's only encouraging illegal entry as so many other propositions have.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)