Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

First Lady Requires Photo ID for Her Book Signings; Voter ID Law-hating Media Fail to Note Obama Hypocrisy

Posted by   + Show Post

The Obama administration has done its best to oppose states from instituting new, stricter voter ID laws, complaining that many minority voters lack photo identification. But those same folks it wants voting in November are apparently not welcome anywhere near the First Lady's book signings. Something tells me that the same media outlets comparing voter ID laws to the Jim Crow Laws, however, won't see any hint of hypocrisy here, if they even report the story at all.

As stated on the blog Obama Foodorama:

On Friday, June 8th, those wishing to attend the event must purchase a copy of the First Lady's book at the location and leave it at the store, according to the employee. At the same time, customers must also submit their social security number and show an official photo ID (driver's license, passport) to a Secret Service agent, and they will be issued a wristband to the First Lady's event on June 12.( Emphasis added)

The liberal media, particularly Obama-boosting cable network MSNBC has done its best to attack voter ID laws as discriminatory at best and racist at worst.

Appearing on MSNBC's Now with Alex Wagner in March, former DNC Communications Director Karen Finney managed to connect the Trayvon Martin shooting to Voter ID laws.

In December MSNBC gave a platform to former NAACP chairman Julian Bond, who charged of voter ID laws that  "They are racist in intent and aimed at vulnerable people in our population."

President Obama and Attorney General Holder have spoken actively against requiring ID to be presented at polling places.  They've maintained this stance despite the fact that a recent Fox News poll reveals a full 70 percent of Americans believe voter ID laws are necessary to stop voter fraud. The poll shows that 52 percent of Democrats agree, as do 68 percent of women and 58 percent of Non-whites, both voting blocs that Democrats see as crucial to their electoral success.

by on Jun. 16, 2012 at 1:52 PM
Replies (21-30):
FromAtoZ
by AllieCat on Jun. 16, 2012 at 3:10 PM

Quoting EireLass:

Can you expound on that? If someone shows them a drivers license, what security is that? Just that they were legal to drive to the book store, nothing more. I wonder what would happen if the only ID someone had on them was their LCC. ha

Quoting FromAtoZ:

Interesting.  A good friend of mine was at the book signing.  The photo ID was for security reasons.  No social security number was asked for.  They where issued wrist bands.  She met the First Lady, who signed her book.  It was a great experience, considering who was signing and the necessary security precautions.

I wasn't there so I can only go off of what my friend told me.  The ID showing was no different than proving you are who you say you are.  

As for other forms of ID accepted, or not, I haven't a clue.  

"A bird doesn't sing because it has an answer, it sings because it has a song." ~ Maya Angelou

LoveMyBoyK
by Ruby Member on Jun. 16, 2012 at 3:11 PM
2 moms liked this
So why shouldnt you have to prove you are who you say you are to vote?

Quoting FromAtoZ:

Quoting EireLass:

Can you expound on that? If someone shows them a drivers license, what security is that? Just that they were legal to drive to the book store, nothing more. I wonder what would happen if the only ID someone had on them was their LCC. ha

Quoting FromAtoZ:

Interesting.  A good friend of mine was at the book signing.  The photo ID was for security reasons.  No social security number was asked for.  They where issued wrist bands.  She met the First Lady, who signed her book.  It was a great experience, considering who was signing and the necessary security precautions.

I wasn't there so I can only go off of what my friend told me.  The ID showing was no different than proving you are who you say you are.  

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
FromAtoZ
by AllieCat on Jun. 16, 2012 at 3:11 PM

Quoting LoveMyBoyK:

Yes, security is necessary. As is determining legal citizenship of voters.

Quoting FromAtoZ:

I do not disagree with you.  

"A bird doesn't sing because it has an answer, it sings because it has a song." ~ Maya Angelou

FromAtoZ
by AllieCat on Jun. 16, 2012 at 3:12 PM

Quoting LoveMyBoyK:

So why shouldnt you have to prove you are who you say you are to vote?

Quoting FromAtoZ:

Quoting EireLass:

Quoting FromAtoZ:

As I posted previously, I do not disagree with you on the voter issue.

I was mainly trying to point out that no social security numbers where requested, that my friend witnessed, any way.

LoveMyBoyK
by Ruby Member on Jun. 16, 2012 at 3:12 PM
1 mom liked this
Ah, ok, then ignore my queation in the thread above:)

Quoting FromAtoZ:

Quoting LoveMyBoyK:

Yes, security is necessary. As is determining legal citizenship of voters.

Quoting FromAtoZ:

I do not disagree with you.  

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
FromAtoZ
by AllieCat on Jun. 16, 2012 at 3:22 PM

I do, however, see a slight difference here.  The security measures are put in place by the SS.  The voter situation comes from else where.  I can understand the hypocrisy some see but overall, relating these two together seems to be more of a political move on the Reps side in order to make points in the election.  But........that is what is done and it seems the Administration, the SS, handed the Reps a small opportunity to run with it, twist it or not.

LoriKeet
by on Jun. 16, 2012 at 3:35 PM

I wonder...is it also "fluff" to gain admittance to see OBAMA give a speech--what about the poor, elderly and otherwise disenfranchised people who would have loved to cheer on their man--why someone could say that's discrimination!!!  What?  He only wants them for their votes?!  No freakin' way! LOL 

http://www.buzzfeed.com/zekejmiller/obama-campaign-checks-ids-at-the-door

Thomigirl
by Gold Member on Jun. 16, 2012 at 4:10 PM
5 moms liked this

I find it ironic that the OP has responded to everyone but you Tanya.  I find your responses refreshing in that there is no pretense.   You stated something matter of factly with common sense and no sarcasm and the response gets ignored...go figure...

Quoting Tanya93:

It's standard procedure for the wife of the President.

They have no control over the rules of the Secret Service who are supposed to give their lives to protect her.

Tanya93
by on Jun. 16, 2012 at 4:20 PM
3 moms liked this

Thank you.

That is what should happen.   They risk their lives to protect her.   So yeah, they have to ask for ID

Quoting Thomigirl:

I find it ironic that the OP has responded to everyone but you Tanya.  I find your responses refreshing in that there is no pretense.   You stated something matter of factly with common sense and no sarcasm and the response gets ignored...go figure...

Quoting Tanya93:

It's standard procedure for the wife of the President.

They have no control over the rules of the Secret Service who are supposed to give their lives to protect her.

STARRYVONN
by on Jun. 16, 2012 at 4:22 PM
2 moms liked this
I would think its standard procedure for any 1st lady. Gotta keep her safe there are weirdos in this world that may want to hurt her.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured