Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

It's that Pride time of year....

Posted by   + Show Post

Does your town have a Pride Festival? 

Pride parade

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
13th annual São Paulo Gay Pride Parade, 2009, Brazil. In 2006, it was considered the biggest pride parade of the world by the Guinness Book of World Records with an estimated 2.5 million participants, In 2009, 3.2 million people attended.

Pride parades for the LGBT community (also known as gay pride paradesLGBT pride paradespride events and pride festivals) are events celebrating lesbiangaybisexual and transgender (LGBT) culture. The events also at times serve as demonstrations for legal rights such as same-sex marriage. Most pride events occur annually and many take place around June to commemorate the Stonewall riots, a pivotal moment in the modern LGBT rights movement.

History

Italian lesbian organisation Arcilesbica at the National Italian Gay Pride march inGrosseto, Italy, in 2004

Early on the morning of Saturday, 28 June 1969, lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender and questioning persons rioted following a police raid on theStonewall Inn in the Greenwich Village neighborhood of New York City.[1] The Stonewall Inn was a gay bar which catered to an assortment of patrons, but which was popular with the most marginalized people in the gay community: transvestites, transgender people, effeminate young men, hustlers, and homeless youth. The Stonewall riots are generally considered to be the beginning of the modern gay rights movement, as it was the first time in modern history that a significant body of LGBT people resisted arrest.

by on Jun. 16, 2012 at 6:42 PM
Replies (21-23):
.lovemybebes.
by Member on Jun. 16, 2012 at 9:34 PM
I know San Francisco has one!

My city, I don't know.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
TCgirlatheart
by TC on Jun. 16, 2012 at 9:35 PM
1 mom liked this
Holla!! Lol

Quoting stacymomof2:

:) Twin Cities represent!  

Quoting TCgirlatheart:

Lol!! You beat me!!

Quoting stacymomof2:

https://www.tcpride.org/

Huge event in Minneapolis.  Tons of stuff all weekend, culminating in a parade that goes right in front of where I work.  Every year we do a huge business even though we are not a "gay bar" there are literally 5 within walking distance.  We have a huge gay population, I believe especially downtown Minneapolis is extremely gay friendly.  We love Pride week.  Busy busy busy!

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Grainia
by Member on Jun. 16, 2012 at 9:41 PM

Quoting mamacita-brown:

Yep. Take my kids to the parade every year. :)

[/snip]

They are totally adorable. I love the shirts.

I live in NYC. Every day is Pride Day.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN