Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Roxana Soto Why Colorado's "booming" kkk membershp scares me

Posted by   + Show Post

Why Colorado's "booming" Ku Klux Klan membership really scares me

Posted by Roxana A. Soto on February 28, 2012 at 9:30 PM
  Roxana A. Soto 
About the author

Roxana A. Soto is a Staff Writer for MamásLatinas. She's a bilingual and bicultural journalist born in Peru and raised in Mexico, Argentina, South Africa and Miami. She's also mom to a kindergartener and a toddler. She loves languages, traveling and good food - especially if it's cooked by someone else.

Read More
Filed Under: immigration, latinos in america  

So I just found out that membership in the Ku Klux Klan is up in Colorado--the state I've been calling home for the past five years--and I shivered. I'm not naive enough to think that the white supremacist way of thinking has been abolished, but to actually go and join the KKK in this day and age seems a bit too much for me. Then again, given the current state of immigration affairs in this country, who am I kidding, right?

When I tell other Latinos that I moved from Miami to Colorado, they always want to know how I've dealt with the discrimination I supposedly should have experienced here. And I never have anything to say because, unless I'm either blind or deaf, I can honestly say that I've never felt like I was being treated any differently because of the color of my skin, my loud Latina Spanish-speaking ways or my accent in English. 

But maybe things will change now that the KKK is reporting that membership is booming in Colorado. How scary! And what's worse is that the trend doesn't seem to be specific to Colorado. According to the Southern Poverty Law Center, the number of "radical right groups"--which includes hate groups, "Patriot" groups and nativist groups--went up in 2010 for the second years in a row

Unsurprisingly, so have hate crimes and this, of course, is directly related to the surge within the Latino population. According to data collected separately by both the National Institute of Justice and the FBI, there has been a steady and disproportionate rise in anti-Latino hate crimes in the past 8 to 9 years. Here in Colorado, just in Durango (in the southwest part of the state) where the KKK has a long history, there were three hate crimes reported in 2009, four in 2010 and 19 in 2011.

What's really worrisome is to find out the types of people driving the KKK's boom in membership, It includes college-educated, professionals, teachers and even a couple of congressmen, according to Cole Thornton, Imperial Grand Wizard of the United Northern and Southern Knights of the KKK, which claims to be the largest KKK offshoot in the United States and is active in Colorado. "People would be amazed to know who I've talked with at midnight in isolated areas--it's almost comical," he said.

Really? What's so comical about a bunch of white supremacists getting together to plan how to get rid of all of those who don't look like them? Sorry, but I don't get it. 

What do you think about the boom in KKK membership in Colorado? Do you think this white supremacist group can regain strength?

Image via minds-eye/flickr

Comments (1)

nonmember avatar
Nonmember comment from Cole Thornton
on Apr 7, 2012 at 3:07 AM
So what are you afraid of? Are you not a legal immigrant? You would see if you read any of my postings that what the real Klan is about is wrongs people do, especially to other people. We do NOT go out and attack innocent people. We also believe in doing for our race, which is white, but that does not mean we hate other races.

by on Jun. 17, 2012 at 2:47 PM
Replies (31-40):
Radarma
by "OneDar" on Jun. 18, 2012 at 12:28 PM

Quoting lga1965:

What ARE you talking about with the "misplaced martyrdom" stuff? And the GTFOOH thing? We are discussing the KKK, a hateful violent group. And.....would you care to explain your expletives and your anger?

Quoting Radarma:

What.The.Fuck.Ever

I am FAR MORE concerned with, LITERALLY "mobs" of a particular color youth seeking random victims of another color to beat/maim/murder. Which, by the freakin way, IS HAPPENING CURRENTLY...as in TODAY.

GTFOOH with this misplaced martyrdom. God it is tiresome.

There have been MANY posts here where there is an innocent white person (total stranger to the perp) who is beaten, attacked, robbed, stomped on...along with racial slurs and IF YOU DARE to post it, you, the poster are a racist and you see a slew of excuses as to why the perps must've done what they did. There is no "oh that poor man"..."oh that poor woman".

It has gotten beyond old at this point. That's all.

Radarma
by "OneDar" on Jun. 18, 2012 at 12:30 PM

ETA: Oh, and in case it still does not make sense, shouldn't ya be more concerned with the violence and mayhem that is ACTUALLY HAPPENING rather than some fringe extremist group growing in numbers?

Kinda freaking obvious to me.

http://www.cafemom.com/group/99198/forums/read/16428040/Suspect_I_Beat_Up_White_Man_Because_I_Am_Mad_About_Trayvon_Martin_Case

http://www.cafemom.com/group/99198/forums/read/16445477/Man_Beaten_By_Mob_In_Critical_Condition

http://www.cafemom.com/group/99198/forums/read/16279601/How_Long_Will_We_Need_to_Wait_for_a_Statement_from_Obama_about_this_Hate_Crime

Pfffft. Just a few of 'em.

Shortiekt
by Gold Member on Jun. 18, 2012 at 1:36 PM

So are you more concerned because you are white or because you feel these black youths will come attack you?

Also is it more disturbing that the KKK can garnish political support and shape legislation (as they have in the past) or is it more disturbing that the black youths will be incarcerated for their crimes and never implement any public policy?

Quoting Radarma:

What.The.Fuck.Ever

I am FAR MORE concerned with, LITERALLY "mobs" of a particular color youth seeking random victims of another color to beat/maim/murder. Which, by the freakin way, IS HAPPENING CURRENTLY...as in TODAY.

Radarma
by "OneDar" on Jun. 18, 2012 at 1:39 PM

I am equally concerned by the some 30 shootings in the last three weeks in Chicago. (several vics were CHILDREN/TODDLERS!)

But nah, nobody wants to talk about that shit. Nope, let's all focus on the KKK instead.

Whatever.

Quoting Shortiekt:

So are you more concerned because you are white or because you feel these black youths will come attack you?

Also is it more disturbing that the KKK can garnish political support and shape legislation (as they have in the past) or is it more disturbing that the black youths will be incarcerated for their crimes and never implement any public policy?

Quoting Radarma:

What.The.Fuck.Ever

Shortiekt
by Gold Member on Jun. 18, 2012 at 1:42 PM

1. The boy was caught, arrested, and charged. He's a dumbass and receiving no support from the black community for his outlandish acts.

2. The man wasn't as much as a victim as proclaimed. If you read through the entire thread you'd have seen that it stemmed from heated neighbor relations... not just based on race as a motivator.

3. There is an on-going investigation.

None of these compare to the far reaching thoughts of the KKK. These stories only stand to promote the KKKs separatist ideals.

Quoting Radarma:

ETA: Oh, and in case it still does not make sense, shouldn't ya be more concerned with the violence and mayhem that is ACTUALLY HAPPENING rather than some fringe extremist group growing in numbers?

Kinda freaking obvious to me.

http://www.cafemom.com/group/99198/forums/read/16428040/Suspect_I_Beat_Up_White_Man_Because_I_Am_Mad_About_Trayvon_Martin_Case

http://www.cafemom.com/group/99198/forums/read/16445477/Man_Beaten_By_Mob_In_Critical_Condition

http://www.cafemom.com/group/99198/forums/read/16279601/How_Long_Will_We_Need_to_Wait_for_a_Statement_from_Obama_about_this_Hate_Crime

Pfffft. Just a few of 'em.

Radarma
by "OneDar" on Jun. 18, 2012 at 1:43 PM

Oh, pardon me, the shootings are at 46 now.

Nevermind though, the KKK is gonna git us all!

http://www.nbcchicago.com/news/local/Weekend-Violence-in-Chicago-158414075.html

Shortiekt
by Gold Member on Jun. 18, 2012 at 1:43 PM
1 mom liked this

So you're not going to answer my question... just a spin-off of 'blacks are bad... mmmkay'?

Quoting Radarma:

I am equally concerned by the some 30 shootings in the last three weeks in Chicago. (several vics were CHILDREN/TODDLERS!)

But nah, nobody wants to talk about that shit. Nope, let's all focus on the KKK instead.

Whatever.

Quoting Shortiekt:

Quoting Radarma:

What.The.Fuck.Ever

Radarma
by "OneDar" on Jun. 18, 2012 at 1:46 PM

OFFS.

Quoting Shortiekt:

Hell no, let them try.

The persp SHOULD be incarcerated for their crimes, but then of course that will just add to the steam about "oh our black boys get locked up for nothin here in Amerikka!"

And if you want representation in congress...RAISE A PERSON ABLE TO BE A CONGRESSMAN/WOMAN.

Shortiekt
by Gold Member on Jun. 18, 2012 at 1:56 PM

Quoting Radarma:

OFFS.

Quoting Shortiekt:

Hell no, let them try.

The persp SHOULD be incarcerated for their crimes, but then of course that will just add to the steam about "oh our black boys get locked up for nothin here in Amerikka!"

And if you want representation in congress...RAISE A PERSON ABLE TO BE A CONGRESSMAN/WOMAN.

You damn right they 'perps' should be incarcerated and when they are the threat disappates because they act as individuals.

The domestic terrorist organizations like the KKK have further avenues to advance they're hateful message, which leads to violence and that which doesn't lead to violence leads to support by individuals in powerful positions. Pretend if you'd like that they are peaceful, harmless, separatists... Their history shows much different as do their associations (see other Nazi organizations).

We do raise congressmen/women

Oscar Stanton De Priest

Arthur W. Mitchell

William L. Dawson

Adam Clayton Powell, Jr.

Charles Diggs

Robert N.C. Nix, Sr.

Augustus F. Hawkins

John Conyers

Bill Clay

Louis Stokes

Shirley Chisholm

George W. Collins

Ron Dellums

Ralph Metcalfe

Parren Mitchell

Charles B. Rangel

Yvonne Brathwaite Burke

Cardiss Collins

Barbara Jordan

Andrew Young

Harold Ford, Sr.

Julian C. Dixon

William H. Gray, III

Mickey Leland

Bennett M. Stewart

George W. Crockett, Jr.

Mervyn M. Dymally

Gus Savage

Harold Washington

Katie Hall

Major Owens

Ed Towns

Alan Wheat

Charles Hayes

Alton R. Waldon, Jr.

Mike Espy

Floyd H. Flake

John Lewis

Kweisi Mfume

Donald M. Payne

Craig Anthony Washington

Barbara-Rose Collins

Gary Franks

William J. Jefferson

Maxine Waters

Lucien E. Blackwell

Eva M. Clayton

Sanford Bishop

Corrine Brown

Jim Clyburn

Cleo Fields

Alcee Hastings

Earl Hilliard

Eddie Bernice Johnson

Cynthia McKinney

Carrie P. Meek

Mel Reynolds

Bobby Rush

Robert C. Scott

Walter Tucker

Mel Watt

Albert Wynn

Bennie Thompson

Chaka Fattah

Sheila Jackson-Lee

J. C. Watts

Jesse Jackson, Jr.

Juanita Millender-McDonald

Elijah Cummings

Julia Carson

Danny K. Davis

Harold Ford, Jr.

Carolyn Cheeks Kilpatrick

Gregory W. Meeks

Barbara Lee

Stephanie Tubbs Jones

William Lacy Clay, Jr.

Diane Watson

Frank Ballance

Artur Davis

Denise Majette

Kendrick Meek

David Scott

G. K. Butterfield

Emanuel Cleaver

Al Green

Gwen Moore

Yvette D. Clarke

Keith Ellison

Hank Johnson

Laura Richardson

André Carson

Donna Edwards

Marcia Fudge

Karen Bass

Hansen Clarke

Cedric Richmond

Tim Scott

Terri Sewell

Allen West

Frederica Wilson

Radarma
by "OneDar" on Jun. 18, 2012 at 2:13 PM

lol, are these all aa congresspeople?

Isn't that just simply remarkable that we have this many, what, with how hard it is to be black in america and all. Astonishing!

Quoting Shortiekt:

Quoting Radarma:

OFFS.

Quoting Shortiekt:

Hell no, let them try.

You damn right they 'perps' should be incarcerated and when they are the threat disappates because they act as individuals.

The domestic terrorist organizations like the KKK have further avenues to advance they're hateful message, which leads to violence and that which doesn't lead to violence leads to support by individuals in powerful positions. Pretend if you'd like that they are peaceful, harmless, separatists... Their history shows much different as do their associations (see other Nazi organizations).

We do raise congressmen/women

Oscar Stanton De Priest

Arthur W. Mitchell

William L. Dawson

Adam Clayton Powell, Jr.

Charles Diggs

Robert N.C. Nix, Sr.

Augustus F. Hawkins

John Conyers

Bill Clay

Louis Stokes

Shirley Chisholm

George W. Collins

Ron Dellums

Ralph Metcalfe

Parren Mitchell

Charles B. Rangel

Yvonne Brathwaite Burke

Cardiss Collins

Barbara Jordan

Andrew Young

Harold Ford, Sr.

Julian C. Dixon

William H. Gray, III

Mickey Leland

Bennett M. Stewart

George W. Crockett, Jr.

Mervyn M. Dymally

Gus Savage

Harold Washington

Katie Hall

Major Owens

Ed Towns

Alan Wheat

Charles Hayes

Alton R. Waldon, Jr.

Mike Espy

Floyd H. Flake

John Lewis

Kweisi Mfume

Donald M. Payne

Craig Anthony Washington

Barbara-Rose Collins

Gary Franks

William J. Jefferson

Maxine Waters

Lucien E. Blackwell

Eva M. Clayton

Sanford Bishop

Corrine Brown

Jim Clyburn

Cleo Fields

Alcee Hastings

Earl Hilliard

Eddie Bernice Johnson

Cynthia McKinney

Carrie P. Meek

Mel Reynolds

Bobby Rush

Robert C. Scott

Walter Tucker

Mel Watt

Albert Wynn

Bennie Thompson

Chaka Fattah

Sheila Jackson-Lee

J. C. Watts

Jesse Jackson, Jr.

Juanita Millender-McDonald

Elijah Cummings

Julia Carson

Danny K. Davis

Harold Ford, Jr.

Carolyn Cheeks Kilpatrick

Gregory W. Meeks

Barbara Lee

Stephanie Tubbs Jones

William Lacy Clay, Jr.

Diane Watson

Frank Ballance

Artur Davis

Denise Majette

Kendrick Meek

David Scott

G. K. Butterfield

Emanuel Cleaver

Al Green

Gwen Moore

Yvette D. Clarke

Keith Ellison

Hank Johnson

Laura Richardson

André Carson

Donna Edwards

Marcia Fudge

Karen Bass

Hansen Clarke

Cedric Richmond

Tim Scott

Terri Sewell

Allen West

Frederica Wilson

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)