Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Even if this is true.....would it excuse his behavior?

Posted by   + Show Post

I could care less whether this is a real disorder or whether he has it. IMO, it's not an excuse for pedophilia.

Prosecution Rests in Sandusky Trial

The defense is expected to argue that the former assistant coach has "histrionic personality disorder."

Former Penn State assistant football coach Jerry Sandusky leaves the Centre County Courthouse after the fourth day of his child sex abuse trial on June 14, 2012, in Bellefonte, Pa.
Former Penn State assistant football coach Jerry Sandusky leaves the Centre County Courthouse after the fourth day of his child sex abuse trial on June 14, 2012, in Bellefonte, Pa.

Photograph by Jeff Swensen/Getty Images.

Jerry Sandusky's child sex abuse trial shifted gears Monday, with the prosecution resting its case and ceding the floor to the former Penn State assistant football coach's defense team.

The presiding judge, John Cleland, quickly dismissed a series of motions from Sandusky's lawyers arguing that, among other things, the lack of specific dates for many of the alleged incidents made them impossible to disprove, the Philadelphia Inquirer reports.

In doing so, Cleland expressed his initial concern over the matter but said that the prosecution had since addressed that. "I've been concerned about this from the beginning," he said. "There were very, very broad representations by the commonwealth as to when these offenses took place. Since then, however, there has been some amended information that I believe now meets the standards."

The judge did make one surprising call in the defense's favor, as CBS News notes: Sandusky's team will be able to call a psychologist to the stand to testify on histrionic personality disorder. The disorder looks to be a key part of Sandusky's defense, which will apparently argue that his motives were not sexual in nature but rather related to his need to draw attention to himself.

The Inquirer reports that Sandusky might take the stand on Monday, prompting a more crowded than usual courthouse and an influx of reporters on the scene.

by on Jun. 18, 2012 at 2:46 PM
Replies (31-40):
annabl1970
by Platinum Member on Jun. 18, 2012 at 9:33 PM
4 moms liked this

No less disgusting is the cover-up of his actions by  many adults who knew what is going on and did nothing!!! They should be prosecuted along with him.angry

GrannyAA
by Member on Jun. 18, 2012 at 9:51 PM
1 mom liked this
There was a former prosecutor of pedophiles and a psychologist on either CNN or MSNBC the other night who said that that particular Dx is about to be removed from the directory. It has generally been used for women in their middle years ( hysteria...get it) and is no longer considered a valid diagnosis by most practitioners. I don't know if this is actually true or not but it does make some sense.
TruthSeeker.
by Milami on Jun. 18, 2012 at 9:55 PM
3 moms liked this

His motives were not sexual in nature but rather related to his need to draw attention to himself?  I'd say raping a child in a shower has nothing to do with drawing attention to yourself and everything to do with being a rapist. Period.

lga1965
by on Jun. 18, 2012 at 9:57 PM
1 mom liked this

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmedhealth/PMH0002498/

I don't see how they can use ths disorder in relation to Sandusky. It is clear that he is a Pedophile. I think he is a hopeless case ,  with no hope for recovery and needs to be permanently incarcerated.

annabl1970
by Platinum Member on Jun. 18, 2012 at 10:02 PM
1 mom liked this

AGREE!

Quoting lga1965:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmedhealth/PMH0002498/

I don't see how they can use ths disorder in relation to Sandusky. It is clear that he is a Pedophile. I think he is a hopeless case ,  with no hope for recovery and needs to be permanently incarcerated.

annabl1970
by Platinum Member on Jun. 18, 2012 at 10:18 PM
1 mom liked this

Quoting GrannyAA:

There was a former prosecutor of pedophiles and a psychologist on either CNN or MSNBC the other night who said that that particular Dx is about to be removed from the directory. It has generally been used for women in their middle years ( hysteria...get it) and is no longer considered a valid diagnosis by most practitioners. I don't know if this is actually true or not but it does make some sense.

Patient:

Sandusky

Valid diagnosis:

PERVERT

Treatment:

Jail for rest of his life

MeAndTommyLee
by Platinum Member on Jun. 18, 2012 at 10:41 PM

It does matter.  I am not disputing that he did these horrible things.  However, they are using a defense I have not heard of before. I want to understand how and why a team of professional doctors came to this conclusion.  Being informed is important -- at to me. 

Quoting Ms.KitKat:

Quoting MeAndTommyLee:

Of all the ladies here on CM I would like to hear from someone that has professional knowledge of this alleged disorder.  Anyone....?

For what purpose? to serve what end? Just curious. Does it really matter if he is or isn't. His defense team will put experts on saying he is. The prosecutors will cross-examine and try to prove otherwise.

Bottom line- who really cares? did he or didn't he sexually abuse/molest minors? The personality disorder is justa  smoke screen- like with that baby killer in FL who claimed her father sexually abused her and those idiots on the jury fell for it. But it's our court system.

Lizard_Lina
by Silver Member on Jun. 18, 2012 at 10:43 PM
This man is disgusting. There are other ways to get attention than raping or molesting someone.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
rfurlongg
by on Jun. 18, 2012 at 10:48 PM
It is sort of being removed. It's symptoms and criteria for diagnosis are being rolled into Borderline Personality Disorder. Currently, however, HPD is still a dx disorder on its own.

Quoting GrannyAA:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
gsprofval
by Silver Member on Jun. 18, 2012 at 10:49 PM

Oh, come on. Really? The defense is truly grasping for straws here.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)