Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Toddler struck, killed by vehicle backing out of driveway

Posted by on Jun. 18, 2012 at 3:18 PM
  • 35 Replies

MSP: Toddler struck, killed by vehicle backing out of driveway

Posted: Jun 18, 2012 1:51 PM EDTUpdated: Jun 18, 2012 1:56 PM EDT

Posted By Tom Plahutnik, Web Editor/Producer - email
OSCEOLA COUNTY, Mich. -

Michigan State Police troopers said they are investigating a motor vehicle related death that happened Sunday night.

The incident occurred around 9:30 p.m. on private property in Middle Beach Township as a vehicle was backing out of a driveway. Troopers said as the vehicle was driven in reverse, it struck a 2-year-old child who had been positioned directly behind the pickup truck in the driveway. Police said it does not appear that any adults were present with the child when the incident occurred.

The child's father, troopers and EMS personnel on scene attempted to administer first aid, but the child had succumbed to fatal injuries. Authorities identified the boy as Carter-James Barron.

Troopers said preliminary, on-scene investigation revealed alcohol may have been a factor in the incident.

Once troopers complete their investigation, the Osceola County Prosecutor's Office will review the case for possible charges.

Copyright WNEM 2012 (Meredith Corporation). All rights reserved.

by on Jun. 18, 2012 at 3:18 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Traci_Momof2
by Silver Member on Jun. 19, 2012 at 9:07 AM

So sad.  My thoughts and prayers are with the family.

I remember reading an article in Readers' Digest a while back about children being killed from being backed over by vehicles.  It happens more often than you may think.  Especially today with our oversized trucks, SUV's and minivans it's almost impossible to see a kid right behind your vehicle.  I remember in that article the author did a little test.  She gathered up 20 kids of varying ages and had them stand all together in a huddle right behind her SUV (the SUV was off of course).  Then she got in the drivers seat and looked in all her mirrors.  She could not see a single one of those kids in any of her mirrors.

The article also highlighted three different specific stories of incidents.  In one, the mom was in the bathroom doing her hair and the daughter was in there with her.  The dad went out to get some holiday decorations out of the garage.  The daughter at some point left the bathroom and went outside.  Mom thought dd was with dad.  Dad thought dd was still with mom.  Dad pulled the truck out of the garage to get to the decorations and backed over dd.  (I believe she was in the 2 - 4 age range).  It was such a traumatic event for this family that they ended up divorcing over it.  They had a son at the time too, I think around 7-ish in age.  The parents though, so consumed by their grief, blamed each other for the accident.  It was incredibly sad what this family went through.  I was very sad for the young boy who not only lost his little sister but then had to endure his family breaking apart.  That whole article really got to me.

It's why I constantly talk to my kids about safety around vehicles.  Little things like listening for a vehicle that's running, don't run behind it if it is.  Or looking for those white lights on the back of the vehicle which means it's backing up.  That means steer clear.  If I am pulling my vehicle into the garage while the kids are in the front yard, I specifically make them stand in one spot off to the side where I can see them the whole time and they are not allowed to move until the vehicle is off again.  I also try to be extra careful about looking every single time I back out somewhere, including looking at what's happening around me even before I get in the vehicle.

I believe it's a dual effort.  Vehilce drivers need to be aware of what's around them when they are backing up their vehicles.  Parents need to teach their kids that vehicles are dangerous and that they need to be aware of them.  They can't just walk down the sidewalk oblivious of what's around them.

UpSheRises
by Platinum Member on Jun. 19, 2012 at 9:10 AM
1 mom liked this

If a toddler is standing behind your truck it doesn't really matter if you were drinking or not.

Terrible.

JamesMom714
by Bronze Member on Jun. 19, 2012 at 9:12 AM
So sad, and one of my biggest fears. My son is almost two, he never plays outside alone and when we do play outside it is at a park as we live in a townhouse with no yard...

I have a mini-van and am VERY thankful that it has a reverse camera. I think it should be mandatory on all new vehicles.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Meire
by Bronze Member on Jun. 19, 2012 at 9:14 AM

Terribly sad!  This story makes me want to be more aware than I already am....Thx for the post it may save a childs life.

Euphoric
by Thumper kid spanks on Jun. 19, 2012 at 9:15 AM

:(

Traci_Momof2
by Silver Member on Jun. 19, 2012 at 9:26 AM

Quoting JamesMom714:

So sad, and one of my biggest fears. My son is almost two, he never plays outside alone and when we do play outside it is at a park as we live in a townhouse with no yard...

I have a mini-van and am VERY thankful that it has a reverse camera. I think it should be mandatory on all new vehicles.

My manager has a minivan that has one of those cameras on it.  I've been in her vehicle a few times and it actually looks pretty cool.  I think mine is just a bit too old.  It's an '05 and does not have a camera (and it has pretty much every extra that was available at the time).

I have a question about the cameras.  Are they able to show everything that is behind your vehicle?  Or are there still some small blind spots not picked up by the camera or the mirrors?  I just wonder if they have the potential to create a false sense of security.  No doubt they are better than nothing, but it just kind of got me thinking.  I would think the camera should be used in addition to one's own senses (looking for kids, listening for kids, etc) not instead of one's own senses.  KWIM?

JamesMom714
by Bronze Member on Jun. 19, 2012 at 9:54 AM
I don't think there are any big blind spots on mine. it's kind of a "fish-eye" lens. But I always look around for kids in the area before I get into the car, then look and use all my mirrors and the camera.

Quoting Traci_Momof2:

Quoting JamesMom714:

My manager has a minivan that has one of those cameras on it.  I've been in her vehicle a few times and it actually looks pretty cool.  I think mine is just a bit too old.  It's an '05 and does not have a camera (and it has pretty much every extra that was available at the time).

I have a question about the cameras.  Are they able to show everything that is behind your vehicle?  Or are there still some small blind spots not picked up by the camera or the mirrors?  I just wonder if they have the potential to create a false sense of security.  No doubt they are better than nothing, but it just kind of got me thinking.  I would think the camera should be used in addition to one's own senses (looking for kids, listening for kids, etc) not instead of one's own senses.  KWIM?

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
meriana
by Gold Member on Jun. 19, 2012 at 9:56 AM

Incredibly sad and it happens so easily.  I have always had and followed one rule where kids and cars are concerned. Before I got in the car, I made sure I knew for sure where all the kids were, even then taking a quick look behind the vehicle...if the kids were outside playing, they all had to be on the porch where I could see them before I even started the car and they had to stay there until car was away from driveway.

TruthSeeker.
by Milami on Jun. 19, 2012 at 10:00 AM

How sad. This was always a big fear of mine. I still back out of my driveway as slow as possible. There are so many children on our block.

GLWerth
by Gina on Jun. 19, 2012 at 10:01 AM

This is terribly sad. Unfortunately, it happens a lot more often than people might think.

Poor baby.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured