Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Adidas "Shackle" Sneakers Create Controversy

Posted by   + Show Post

Adidas "Shackle" Sneakers Create Controversy

The JS Roundhouse Mid A new Adidas sneaker has sparked outrage, with sneaker fans accusing the brand of promoting racism. The Roundhouse Mid "Handcuff" shoe, created by controversial New York designer Jeremy Scott, features a plastic orange shackle that attaches to each ankle. The $350 sneakers hit stores in August, but Adidas promoted them on their official Facebook page on June 14 with this quote: "Tighten up your style with the JS Roundhouse Mids, dropping in August. Got a sneaker game so hot you lock your kicks to your ankles?" While the brand may be making a cheeky statement about shoe theft, many are equating these binding devices with slavery and prisoners. At press time the "Handcuff" sneaker image has over 36,000 Facebook likes, but many of the comments are angry and disapproving.

Jeremy Scott's Adidas Wings shoes are a celebrity favorite. Photo courtesy of Adidas"Please tell me this is FAKE. I am not hearing these Adidas Amistad Originals," one woman commented on Facebook, referencing the ship famous for an African slave revolt in 1839. One man is prepared to boycott the brand out of respect to his African heritage. "I for one will NEVER don another pair of Adidas if these shoes see the light of day in the sneaker market," he wrote. One Facebook user reasoned that "corporate business has a social responsibility above all to consider these perceptions before releasing a product like this." Another flabbergasted person wondered, "This has to be some sort of prank right?" Others simply called the design "ignorant" and the look "slavewear."

by on Jun. 18, 2012 at 4:40 PM
Replies (31-40):
ihave1
by Member on Jun. 18, 2012 at 8:06 PM

They are hideous looking.

norahsmommy
by Bronze Member on Jun. 18, 2012 at 8:07 PM
Racist, no. Stupid, yes.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
GoddessNDaRuff
by Silver Member on Jun. 18, 2012 at 8:09 PM

Now I haven't read the article yet, but who's bright idea was that?

Shortiekt
by Gold Member on Jun. 18, 2012 at 8:12 PM
Prada yes... Adidas no

Quoting Tanya93:

Raises hand.

Quoting Mommy_of_Riley:

3 Things

1. Those colors are hideous

2. Who would pay $350 for shoes?!?!

3. Cuffs? Really? Because being a criminal is so cool...

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
GLWerth
by Gina on Jun. 18, 2012 at 8:13 PM

$350 for UGLY shoes? Nah.

Then again, I'd never spend that much for shoes anyway. I've got better things to spend that much money on.

As to the racism question....I don't know. It is insensitive and rather tone deaf on the part of the company, but I doubt there was any racial intent to it.

Shortiekt
by Gold Member on Jun. 18, 2012 at 8:16 PM
2 moms liked this
I don't know if it was racism or ignorance of historical meaning. Criminal or slavery...either way the association is negative.

Dumb ass idea... I'm smacking every guy I see with these, in the back of the head, then I'm gonna step on their feet.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Thomigirl
by Gold Member on Jun. 18, 2012 at 8:30 PM

All this is is marketing 101

mommajen32
by Platinum Member on Jun. 18, 2012 at 9:02 PM

Quoting Thomigirl:

All this is is marketing 101

Now, if we fall for it ....**smh**

annabl1970
by Platinum Member on Jun. 18, 2012 at 9:05 PM

It's embarrassing to wear them...

Radarma
by "OneDar" on Jun. 18, 2012 at 9:06 PM

"we"....again.

Where is that line? And why be bothered when others wanna think of the you in terms of the them? You perpetuate it with the "we" business.

But yeah, ***whoooosh***

Ugly ass shoes. Whatever.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured