Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Adidas "Shackle" Sneakers Create Controversy

Posted by   + Show Post

Adidas "Shackle" Sneakers Create Controversy

The JS Roundhouse Mid A new Adidas sneaker has sparked outrage, with sneaker fans accusing the brand of promoting racism. The Roundhouse Mid "Handcuff" shoe, created by controversial New York designer Jeremy Scott, features a plastic orange shackle that attaches to each ankle. The $350 sneakers hit stores in August, but Adidas promoted them on their official Facebook page on June 14 with this quote: "Tighten up your style with the JS Roundhouse Mids, dropping in August. Got a sneaker game so hot you lock your kicks to your ankles?" While the brand may be making a cheeky statement about shoe theft, many are equating these binding devices with slavery and prisoners. At press time the "Handcuff" sneaker image has over 36,000 Facebook likes, but many of the comments are angry and disapproving.

Jeremy Scott's Adidas Wings shoes are a celebrity favorite. Photo courtesy of Adidas"Please tell me this is FAKE. I am not hearing these Adidas Amistad Originals," one woman commented on Facebook, referencing the ship famous for an African slave revolt in 1839. One man is prepared to boycott the brand out of respect to his African heritage. "I for one will NEVER don another pair of Adidas if these shoes see the light of day in the sneaker market," he wrote. One Facebook user reasoned that "corporate business has a social responsibility above all to consider these perceptions before releasing a product like this." Another flabbergasted person wondered, "This has to be some sort of prank right?" Others simply called the design "ignorant" and the look "slavewear."

by on Jun. 18, 2012 at 4:40 PM
Replies (71-73):
Tanya93
by on Jun. 19, 2012 at 11:20 AM

I almost always wear heels.

Thank you.

Quoting nb34:

I thought wearing heels while teaching was totally outdated, when did you teach in the 50s?

Quoting Tanya93:

I found that my feet weren't tired after a full day of teaching when wearing expensive heels.

andiemomo3
by Andie on Jun. 19, 2012 at 2:52 PM
Quoting dustinsmom1:

I'll search for it later. I'm often amazed at the swing a post can take. One of the fun things about CM.
andiemomo3
by Andie on Jun. 19, 2012 at 2:54 PM
Quoting Shortiekt:

Wow to the picture. I have never heard that about planking before.

I think it's a far reach also. Kids were just doing crazy stunts. I'd be willing to be most of them knew nothing about slaves on slave ships.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN